Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Converting BacktoBack to Sport seating

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #1

scubydo is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: 200
My Engine: 4.3
Gallery Images: 0

Send scubydo:
a Private Message

Default Converting BacktoBack to Sport seating

Has anyone out there converted back2back to sport seating?
  • Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #2

Shabah 198SE is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: Shabah 198SE
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha

Send Shabah 198SE:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Converting BacktoBack to Sport seating

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scubydo View Post
    Has anyone out there converted back2back to sport seating?
    scubydo,

I have not done that, but down the road, I may go the other way.

If you do make the change, I don't know if your boat will have the aluminum backing plates under the floor for the seat pedestals. Maybe Mariah put them on all their boats. I don't know how you would find them. I don't think that a stud finder would work.

Shabah 198SE
    Old 09-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I converted my drivers seat to a bucket from a back to back unit. Mariah placed the aluminum plate in all of their boats & i was able to find mine using a stud finder. I think a metal detector (if you have one) would do an even better job. The bolts i used were galvanized coarse thread 1/4" bolts with a 3/8" hex head, 2 3/4" long, with a pan washer followed by a 1/16" rubber washer. I drilled & tapped the plate to match.
    Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Shabah 198SE:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    I converted my drivers seat to a bucket from a back to back unit. Mariah placed the aluminum plate in all of their boats & i was able to find mine using a stud finder. I think a metal detector (if you have one) would do an even better job. The bolts i used were galvanized coarse thread 1/4" bolts with a 3/8" hex head, 2 3/4" long, with a pan washer followed by a 1/16" rubber washer. I drilled & tapped the plate to match.
    mikeyt,

scubydo, I don't mean to hijack your post, but there could be useful information here for all.

Repairing a couple of stripped pedestal screws was one of the repairs that I had to make to my boat. The original screws were stainless steel lag screws with a 1/2 inch hex head. I believe that they were 5/16" by about the length that you stated. I updated the stripped ones to 3/8" with a 9/16" hex head (where used, the pedestal mounting holes had to be opened up slightly). I'm not certain that two of them were even in the aluminum plate.

Did you use the stud finder through the carpet? Or, do you have a glass liner?

I assume that you used the rubber washer to keep water out. I'm surprised that you could get a good hold when tapping a 3/16 inch thick aluminum plate to use 1/4"NC bolts. That is good information.

I have considered trying to move the driver's seat back to solve my shifter clearance problem.

Do you have an interior photo of your boat that you could post?

Shabah 198SE
    Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #5

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shabah 198SE View Post
    mikeyt,

scubydo, I don't mean to hijack your post, but there could be useful information here for all.

Repairing a couple of stripped pedestal screws was one of the repairs that I had to make to my boat. The original screws were stainless steel lag screws with a 1/2 inch hex head. I believe that they were 5/16" by about the length that you stated. I updated the stripped ones to 3/8" with a 9/16" hex head (where used, the pedestal mounting holes had to be opened up slightly). I'm not certain that two of them were even in the aluminum plate.

Did you use the stud finder through the carpet? Or, do you have a glass liner?

I assume that you used the rubber washer to keep water out. I'm surprised that you could get a good hold when tapping a 3/16 inch thick aluminum plate to use 1/4"NC bolts. That is good information.

I have considered trying to move the driver's seat back to solve my shifter clearance problem.

Do you have an interior photo of your boat that you could post?

Shabah 198SE
    Actually i had MariahTrooper pull one of the bolts from his bucket seat mount & measure it for me and i did use the stud finder thru the carpet to find the edges of the aluminum plate. Now i'm pretty sure that i missed the plate with one bolt but all the rest tightened down okay. MariahTrooper did warn me that they strip easily though. If i remember right that plate wasn't very large (maybe 12" x 12" so it wouldn't be hard to miss it.

As for a photo, my boat's out getting winterized & i should have it back early next week. I'll take a couple of photos then.
    Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Shabah 198SE:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Actually i had MariahTrooper pull one of the bolts from his bucket seat mount & measure it for me and i did use the stud finder thru the carpet to find the edges of the aluminum plate. Now i'm pretty sure that i missed the plate with one bolt but all the rest tightened down okay. MariahTrooper did warn me that they strip easily though. If i remember right that plate wasn't very large (maybe 12" x 12" so it wouldn't be hard to miss it.

As for a photo, my boat's out getting winterized & i should have it back early next week. I'll take a couple of photos then.

mikeyt,

Thank for your response. With all of the foam in there, I was surprised that the stud finder worked. I have two stud finders that are doing well to come within three inches of finding a stud.

According to the binder that came with my boat, you are correct that the plate is 12" by 12".

I would love to see a photo of a Mariah interior that came with a sleeper seat arrangement.

Thanks

Shabah 198 SE