Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

water in the fuel

Original Mariah Talk

Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

jeffro788 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: 180 Shabah
My Engine: 4.3L Alpha One
Gallery Images: 5

Send jeffro788:
a Private Message

Default water in the fuel

Hey guys I discovered yesterday that I have water in my fuel, I have a hard time believing that it all came from the gas station, but not ruling it out for sure. Is it possible that the gas tank vent on the back of the hull or the gas filler inlet could be letting water in if it splashes over the back of the hull when you come to stop in the boat? that fuel seperator certainly did its job, we just can't figure out where it came from and what we can do to prevent it.
Any suggestions?
  • Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Default Re: water in the fuel

Hi jeffro788, it's possible but I would think unlikely unless you're stopping so suddenly as to actually get water all the way up to the vent, but just to be sure, I would have someone safely watching the vent next time you go out to see if this is what's happening.

Now it's just possible if the fuel level at the station was extremely low water could have come from them, but another possible answer is related to the ethanol additive the government has us using. I suspect the water has been building up for a while in your tank since most gas now contains upwards of 10% ethanol and it's very prone to absorbing water if it sits for long periods. Adding a gas stabilizer like Sta-Bil to the tank before putting your Mariah away for the off season will help prevent this issue.

WetWilly
    Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #3

jeffro788 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Shabah
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 5

Send jeffro788:
    a Private Message

Default Re: water in the fuel

I messed up and used the red stabil over the winter, so I will start using the blue from now on. I guess I will have some chk the vent when we stop, I figured there was a flap over it that would keep stuff from getting in but let air out. If that is the case, is there anything I can do to block water from entering it?
    Also, the only thing I know to do right now is run it and keep emptying the water seperator and adding heet to the fuel to burn off the water.