Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Mariah 2001 218 Cuddy Cabin

Original Mariah Talk

Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

brettnkay is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send brettnkay:
a Private Message

Default Mariah 2001 218 Cuddy Cabin

I'm considering buying this boat, and having trouble finding any information on it. Haven't really been able to find any reviews, and don't know much about the Mariah brand. SeaRay, Bayliner, Four Winns are more popular in our area. How would the Mariah brand (in general) compare with these others regarding build quality, reliability, fit and finish, and performance?

Has anyone had any specific experience with the 218 model? Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,
Brett
  • Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #2

Chuck is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Chuck:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Mariah 2001 218 Cuddy Cabin

I am a new Mariah owner myself and found myself in the same position as you not knowing much about the boat, but let me tell you it's the best decison ive ever made.... I love the boat it's loaded with options you just dont see everyday... The mariah is definately a head turner. Mine is a 96 Z212 Shabah.... Wouldnt trade it for anything....
    Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #3

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone on here who doesn't completely agree with you Chuck.

Brett, these are really well made boats. Original Mariah's were offered with a lifetime warranty on the hull. Not that you could currently make a claim, but it does show you how much confidence the company had in their products. However, since the original Mariah Boats Inc. are no longer in business, the caveat to owning one is that replacing or repairing some of the interior parts could a bit more difficult or expensive. The upside is they are so well built the known interior failures are a minimum... If you've come across a well maintained specimen, by all means investigate it, these boats are gems.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #4

Weezer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1993 Barchetta 4.3LX Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Weezer:
    a Private Message

Brett, I would have to agree with what these folks are saying. I also stumbled upon a 93 Barchetta. I was not looking for a boat. It was for sale and I liked it. I got this boat for an excellent price. I was not sure about what I was getting into. I found it rather difficult to find any information. The Mariah Owners club really saved my..........butt. I do not believe there is a better information source than this. Anyway, the boat is excellent. The more I use it, the more I like it. I will admit it has been somewhat challenging to correct the previous owners .............creativity. The only way I would get rid of this boat is to get another Mariah. Have fun, you cant go wrong.
    Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #5

domraga is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 218
    My Engine: Volvo 5.7GL / SX-M
    Gallery Images: 32

Send domraga:
    a Private Message

Brett, I have a 2001 Mariah 218. I think I am the only one on the forum with one, I haven't come across anyone else as yet! Mines in dark blue band, white interior and Volvo 5.0GL. I looked at the Searay 215, Maxums and Bayliners (binliners!). The Mariah is by far the best boat in terms of quality and features. There is only one disadvantage with a (original) Mariah and that is that they are no longer around. However, this does add to the exclusivity of owning one. I think most in the boating fraternity realise that the recent Mariahs are not as good boats as the old ones!

As regards specifics of the 218, they are quite rare, mine has the 5.0GL, but I am sure that the 5.7 will be even more fun. I am very happy with the performance of the 5.0L, but couldn't find the 5.7. I also have single SX drive, so a duoprop would have agin been preferable, but I don't notice any issues with handling. The boat interior layout changed sometime around 2001. Some boats have moulded sink unit in the bulkhead, mine has the teak galley unit on the bulkhead which I prefer. Any fittings you can get hold of in general chandlery, apart from the Hull, nothing is really impossible to obtain. All in all, I would give this boat 9 out of 10 everything considered. I would rank the Searay 7 out of 10 because of its seating arrangement and the curtained off toilet area reduces interior space. The Maxums and Bayliners are very similar, quality is poor compared to the Mariah.