The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Aftermarket Depth Gauge (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2371-aftermarket-depth-gauge.html)

Kitto 04-23-2009 08:09 PM

Aftermarket Depth Gauge

I thought I would put this question here since ya'll are on the subject. What is the best aftermarket depth guage. My boat did not come with one and I'm thinking it would be a great idea. As well, what kind of work goes into installing one. Does it require drilling any holes in the boat, I'd be a bit nervous doing that. Thanks for the help.

ShabahZ280 04-24-2009 11:30 AM

Re: Aftermarket Depth Gauge

Well, the original depth gauges were made by Lowrance, and the later models, (like yours) used Faria. If you wanted to keep an OEM look to your boat, you could get one of those! Yet they can be a little pricy.

But, yes it does require drilling, both inside, and outside of the boat. You'll have to drill the hole to mount it inside (about 2" diameter), and then four small holes in the hull below the waterline to mount the transducer. It's a very scary thing, just make sure and seal the holes with a good marine sealant like 3m 5200. You basically drill the holes, then dab some of the sealant on the holes, put a little on the screws, and tighten everything up.

Another option is to spring for an in-hull transducer, which costs quite a bit more, but doesn't require drilling. You basically just epoxy it in the bottom of the hull (inside the boat). Most Mariahs had the depth gauge mounted under the engine.

As far as aftermarket, you've got some options. You could go the fishfinder route if you enjoy fishing, a gps or chartplotter with depth sounder, or a standalone gauge. I helped my friend install a "hawkeye" depth gauge in his sailboat, it came with universal transducer, which basically can be mounted on the exterior of the hull, or can be epoxied in the hull. I think it cost around $99 at West Marine. It works great.

jeffryb 04-24-2009 12:20 PM

When I bought my Mariah it had a Lowrance depth finder with the in-hull (hockey puck style) tranducer but it never worked. So I just bought a Uniden depth finder (QT-206) with a in-hull adjustable transducer, going to put it in this weekend I'll let you all know how it works.:)

Kitto 04-24-2009 06:00 PM

I went ahead and purchased a Faria guage that will require drilling a hole in the dash. I do have a place for it and I think it will look alright. It doesn't sound like I will have to drill into the hull as it doesn't have the water temp. I'll send some pics once I get it installed. Thanks for the help guys. :wink_thumbup:

ShabahZ280 04-24-2009 07:17 PM

Just make sure and check behind the hole before you drill, to make sure there's no wiring! Good luck, and be sure and post some pics for us! :wink_thumbup:

Kitto 04-24-2009 07:28 PM

Good advise, because a Schlepprock like me would go and smoke something underneath there. :head_on_wall:

otisroy 06-12-2009 02:21 PM

I'm looking to replace my depth finder too. The display is spotty and doesn't give accurate depth. I've been looking at the Lowrance LST-3800 since I think it'll fit in the existing spot in the dash. Does anyone know if I'll need a new transducer too? I know the LST-3800 does temp too and that's not going to work with an in-hull transducer.

If the Lowrance turns out to be a PITA, I'm just to pick up a Hummingbird 610P. They use a puck style transducer and also fit in a standard 2 1/8" dash. I need to check the diameter on the factory Lowrance. Time to grab the calipers.

WetWilly 06-13-2009 07:04 AM

Hi otisroy,

The Lowrance depth sounders should be 2 1/8" in diameter, 3 3/4" deep with a Circular bezel OD of 2 3/8" or Square bezel of 2 1/2"

donhun 07-04-2010 03:16 AM

Do any of you have an LST-3800 that is either non-functional or you no longer want? I am in need of the front bezel for a gauge that has been damaged.

Thanks

Dave

nglauer 07-04-2010 06:43 AM

I am thinking about buying a LST-3800, currently onsale at Cabelas.com for 119.99. I'm not sure it this is a great deal. I keep going back on forth whether I should buy this unit.. or a fish finder. Any suggestions? I'd like to know the depth, we plan on running the river and some shallow spots.

Having a clock would be a nice option too... along with the water temp.

Nick