The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Aftermarket Depth Gauge (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2371-aftermarket-depth-gauge.html)

Kitto 04-23-2009 08:09 PM

Aftermarket Depth Gauge

I thought I would put this question here since ya'll are on the subject. What is the best aftermarket depth guage. My boat did not come with one and I'm thinking it would be a great idea. As well, what kind of work goes into installing one. Does it require drilling any holes in the boat, I'd be a bit nervous doing that. Thanks for the help.

ShabahZ280 04-24-2009 11:30 AM

Re: Aftermarket Depth Gauge

Well, the original depth gauges were made by Lowrance, and the later models, (like yours) used Faria. If you wanted to keep an OEM look to your boat, you could get one of those! Yet they can be a little pricy.

But, yes it does require drilling, both inside, and outside of the boat. You'll have to drill the hole to mount it inside (about 2" diameter), and then four small holes in the hull below the waterline to mount the transducer. It's a very scary thing, just make sure and seal the holes with a good marine sealant like 3m 5200. You basically drill the holes, then dab some of the sealant on the holes, put a little on the screws, and tighten everything up.

Another option is to spring for an in-hull transducer, which costs quite a bit more, but doesn't require drilling. You basically just epoxy it in the bottom of the hull (inside the boat). Most Mariahs had the depth gauge mounted under the engine.

As far as aftermarket, you've got some options. You could go the fishfinder route if you enjoy fishing, a gps or chartplotter with depth sounder, or a standalone gauge. I helped my friend install a "hawkeye" depth gauge in his sailboat, it came with universal transducer, which basically can be mounted on the exterior of the hull, or can be epoxied in the hull. I think it cost around $99 at West Marine. It works great.

jeffryb 04-24-2009 12:20 PM

When I bought my Mariah it had a Lowrance depth finder with the in-hull (hockey puck style) tranducer but it never worked. So I just bought a Uniden depth finder (QT-206) with a in-hull adjustable transducer, going to put it in this weekend I'll let you all know how it works.:)

Kitto 04-24-2009 06:00 PM

I went ahead and purchased a Faria guage that will require drilling a hole in the dash. I do have a place for it and I think it will look alright. It doesn't sound like I will have to drill into the hull as it doesn't have the water temp. I'll send some pics once I get it installed. Thanks for the help guys. :wink_thumbup:

ShabahZ280 04-24-2009 07:17 PM

Just make sure and check behind the hole before you drill, to make sure there's no wiring! Good luck, and be sure and post some pics for us! :wink_thumbup:

Kitto 04-24-2009 07:28 PM

Good advise, because a Schlepprock like me would go and smoke something underneath there. :head_on_wall:

otisroy 06-12-2009 02:21 PM

I'm looking to replace my depth finder too. The display is spotty and doesn't give accurate depth. I've been looking at the Lowrance LST-3800 since I think it'll fit in the existing spot in the dash. Does anyone know if I'll need a new transducer too? I know the LST-3800 does temp too and that's not going to work with an in-hull transducer.

If the Lowrance turns out to be a PITA, I'm just to pick up a Hummingbird 610P. They use a puck style transducer and also fit in a standard 2 1/8" dash. I need to check the diameter on the factory Lowrance. Time to grab the calipers.

WetWilly 06-13-2009 07:04 AM

Hi otisroy,

The Lowrance depth sounders should be 2 1/8" in diameter, 3 3/4" deep with a Circular bezel OD of 2 3/8" or Square bezel of 2 1/2"

donhun 07-04-2010 03:16 AM

Do any of you have an LST-3800 that is either non-functional or you no longer want? I am in need of the front bezel for a gauge that has been damaged.

Thanks

Dave

nglauer 07-04-2010 06:43 AM

I am thinking about buying a LST-3800, currently onsale at Cabelas.com for 119.99. I'm not sure it this is a great deal. I keep going back on forth whether I should buy this unit.. or a fish finder. Any suggestions? I'd like to know the depth, we plan on running the river and some shallow spots.

Having a clock would be a nice option too... along with the water temp.

Nick

Paul F 07-05-2010 09:26 PM

I installed my own depthfinder.

My advice:

Measure 50 times, cut once! :wink_thumbup:

donhun 07-06-2010 02:48 AM

If all you want to know is the depth then just go with the depth gauge. Even a basic fish finder will cost more than a depth gauge. I would also mount the transducer inside the hull for a depth gauge you will get good readings and it is well protected from accidental damage.

No need to get a transducer that requires drilling through the hull, mine is epoxied to the hull inside the bilge and works great with the depth gauge. Be aware though that this install is far from optium for a fish finder as the hull interfers with the weaker returns that come from fish.

If you have any doubts about a DIY epoxy job pay the money and have a professional do it. You only get 1 chance to get it right and the labor for the boat shop to do it will be less than the cost of a replacement transducer.

BTW I have both, I have the basic depth gauge and I also have a GPS chart plotter with sonar. The depth gauge uses a shoot thru transducer expoxied to the hull in the bilge and the fish finder transducer is mounted externally on the transom. When I take the grand kids out to play vice fish, I stow the transom mounted transducer to prevent the kids from accidentally using it as a hand or foot hold.

Good luck.

Dave

stereoman405 07-06-2010 02:37 PM

Here's my $.02 on going the internal transducer route. Got this tip from an old boater.

Instead of permanently epoxying the transducer to the hull, grab a wax toilet ring from any hardware store for $1.99. Clean the area thoroughly (I used brake cleaner) then knead the wax into an 'air bubble free' lump, slap it to the hull then squish the transducer firmly down into it. The wax gets pretty flexible when your hands warm it up, then hardens when it cools so its easy to work with.

This has worked like a champ so far on one of my rentals. Its nice in case it ever needs replaced or relocated.

nglauer 07-06-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereoman405 (Post 23571)
Here's my $.02 on going the internal transducer route. Got this tip from an old boater.

Instead of permanently epoxying the transducer to the hull, grab a wax toilet ring from any hardware store for $1.99. Clean the area thoroughly (I used brake cleaner) then knead the wax into an 'air bubble free' lump, slap it to the hull then squish the transducer firmly down into it. The wax gets pretty flexible when your hands warm it up, then hardens when it cools so its easy to work with.

This has worked like a champ so far on one of my rentals. Its nice in case it ever needs replaced or relocated.

That may be the only time i've ever heard of an alternative use for a toilet ring lol. Sounds like a good idea. I agree.. the wax kneads easily when warm.. and gets rather hard when cooled down. My question is.. how hot will it get in the hull then the boat is covered and on the trailer? I know it's supposed to be 98 degree's here today.

stereoman405 07-06-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 23582)
That may be the only time i've ever heard of an alternative use for a toilet ring lol. Sounds like a good idea. I agree.. the wax kneads easily when warm.. and gets rather hard when cooled down. My question is.. how hot will it get in the hull then the boat is covered and on the trailer? I know it's supposed to be 98 degree's here today.

Ya I though the guy was jerking me around when he gave me the idea. :)

Not sure if your heat concern would matter. The transducer is totally encased with the stuff and its VERY water repellent with no force trying to pull it off. So even if it warmed up I don't see what would pull it off.

I figured its a very easy experiment. Worse case you can always do the epoxy later.

donhun 07-07-2010 02:35 AM

That's a new one on me but I think its a great one. At the very least it allows you to get the transducer in the right spot and I sispect that it will work even when the temps reach 100 degrees. As long as the wax doesn't get too soft there is no real pressure to cause the transducer to move around.

You have my curiosity up enought to try an experiment to see just how well it stands up to the heat.

Might be a great way to mount a tempoary transducer in a rented or borrowed craft.

SuperdaveTX 07-13-2010 02:02 PM

I replaced mine with a Hawkeye depth finder 2 years ago. My Humminbird was not reading real well and never got below 50 ft or so.... The Hawkeye does go deeper, but I must have had some air bubbles in my epoxy... but it works fine, most of the time... I called Hawkeye and talk to them about this.. They told me that you can always remove the sender unit. He said take a 2x4 and butt it up against the sender unit and then tap on it to break the epoxy free from the boat hull. Tap on it harder if needed. He said the sender units are stout.