The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   steering slack question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2175-steering-slack-question.html)

PROPNUT 03-19-2009 02:38 AM

steering slack question

I have a 94 Talari 180 that has "play" in the steering. (at least 1 inch either direction). There is no play at the stern drive so it appears that it is coming from the other end by the steering wheel. Can this be adjusted out? How do I accomplish this?
Thanks!:huh:

mikeyt 03-19-2009 02:51 AM

Re: steering slack question

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROPNUT (Post 12737)
I have a 94 Talari 180 that has "play" in the steering. (at least 1 inch either direction). There is no play at the stern drive so it appears that it is coming from the other end by the steering wheel. Can this be adjusted out? How do I accomplish this?
Thanks!:huh:

1" of play isn't really bad but it can be a little annoying. Try removing the steering wheel & ensuring that the bolts that secure the steering box behind the dash are tight. Also, at the other end, take a look at where the steering shaft meets the gimble. There are 2 bolts that fasten the gimble ring to the shaft. Mercruiser uses a square steering cable and the two bolts can become slightly loose allowing a little play.

PROPNUT 03-21-2009 03:54 AM

Both ends checked out ok. It appears to be near the steering wheel. I was hoping there was a way to adjust it. Any more ideas?:shakehead:

mikeyt 03-21-2009 05:02 AM

Nope. There's no adjustment in the steering head itself. Bottom line is that over time the teeth in the head simply start to wear and then slip occurs. There is always a little bit of 'slop' inherent in the steering assemblies simply due to their design. The only solution is to replace the steering assembly with a new one. If you want to eliminate any slop at all then you might want to consider a hydraulic steering unit but they are very pricey.

One other thing to check is the belt on the steering pump. If they're a little loose it might show up as 'slop' in the steering.

PROPNUT 03-21-2009 03:35 PM

Thanks Mikey. I will continue to investigate. I appreciate the help!
BTW, nice looking Shabah you have there!

Propnut

1999Mariah 06-28-2009 08:17 PM

I believe I have something similar, where the slop is in the 'back mount rack system' just behind the steering wheel. I imagine I can replace just that part and retain the cable?

1999Mariah 06-28-2009 10:34 PM

Nope, one piece... I think I would like to go to rotary steering, does anyone know what the exact length of the steering cable would need to be? Has anyone gone to rotary steering from rack/pinion? and what's my steering cable lenght??

1999Mariah 07-01-2009 01:34 AM

No one know's the steering cable length in a 182 Shabah?

Any idea where I can find it?

WetWilly 07-01-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROPNUT (Post 12800)
Both ends checked out ok. It appears to be near the steering wheel. I was hoping there was a way to adjust it. Any more ideas?

Hi PROPNUT,

Do you have tilt steering? We have it on our Talari and the "U" joint couplers had come loose. If you take the wheel and rubber collar off, turn the shaft and you'll be able to see if that's part of your problem.

WetWilly

PROPNUT 07-03-2009 03:54 AM

Thanks, I will check it out. I do have tilt steering.
Propnut