Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Seat Pedestal Brackets

Original Mariah Talk

Old 12-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #1

sweetdreams is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1998
My Model: 1998 PC Talari 246 Limited Edition
My Engine: mercruiser V8 7.4L
Gallery Images: 0

Send sweetdreams:
a Private Message

Unhappy Seat Pedestal Brackets

Hi..

Does anyone know if parts are available for the front seats (captain and passenger seats) for PC Talari 246? These seats are one person seats which sit on a post. They rotate full circle, can be adjusted up and down, and can adjust forward and back. The hardware bracket under the seat is bad, and the seat rocks back and forth enough to make you seasick without moving.. I need to replace the hardware or part of it, and not the whole seat. If anyone has experience with this, before I begin dis-assembly, let me know please!

Thanks,
Steve (Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island)
  • Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #2

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Have a look at this thread: Seat pedestal

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send sweetdreams:
    a Private Message

Thanks for referring me to the thread.. it looks like some helpful information. Enough to get me dismantling the old pedestal with the confidence that I'll be able to find something to replace or repair it. If anyone else has additional information I sure would appreciate it.

..and I will try my best to document the process for other members.

Steve
    Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #4

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Steve,

The rocking is probably due to worn out plastic cups (Swivel Bushings) inside the seat spiders where they ride on top of the pedestals. I replaced both of ours and everything is better again. If your pedestals are from Springfield, they are still available, just measure the diameter of your pedestal to insure you order the right size: Click here.

Let us know what you find is causing your rocking...

WetWilly
    Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send sweetdreams:
    a Private Message

Wetwilly,

Without even taking the pedestal apart I can tellyou what caused the rocking ..it was having too much fun ripping thru the waves while my big butt brother was hanging onto the seat like a life jacket.. As far as how I fix it, I'll keep the site posted over the next month when disassembly starts! Thanks for the additional information.

Steve
    Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 AM   #6

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
    Thanks for referring me to the thread.. it looks like some helpful information. Enough to get me dismantling the old pedestal with the confidence that I'll be able to find something to replace or repair it. If anyone else has additional information I sure would appreciate it.

..and I will try my best to document the process for other members.

Steve
    Willy's covered what wasn't mentioned in the thread and it's a fairly simple job to replace / renew the pedestal mechanics so you should be fine.
    Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send sweetdreams:
    a Private Message

Hi all.. For anyone interested, I did finally determine the cause of the seat "rocking". Contrary to previous posts, the brand of hardware used for my seat pedestal was not from Springfield Marine. It was from Garelick Mfg Co, 644 Second Street, PO Box 8, St Paul Park, MN 55071-0008. On the web at www.garelick.com and tel # 651-459-9795.

Sorry I don't have pictures. Actually I do have pictures, but I am unable to edit the dimension of them to fit in this reply.. sorry!

Garelick does not make the exact replacement pedestal, and they tried to interest me in a similiar but newer model. However, replacing the entire seat pedestal with a new model would have required separating the original pedestal floor bolts from the floor of the boat. I knew that removal of the original base would require backing the floor bolts out, and when the first floor bolt gave me trouble(didn't want to twist out and nearly stripped the head of the floor bolt..) I decided to leave them all in place. Instead of removing the original pedestal base from the floor of the boat I repaired the existing internal parts of the old pedestal with the help of a local welding outfit. (In the long run, repairing the original pedestal parts was cheaper anyway).

The best way I can describe what happened without a picture is that the shaft of the floor pedestal has an inner sleeve which adjusts height up and down, and this inner sleeve is attached to the "slide and swivel unit" on the seat bottom.

The whole seat along with the "slide and swivel unit" and the inner sleeve of the pedestal, still attached to the seat bottom, will separate from the outer sleeve and floor base of the pedestal, if the locking pin is held open and you lift the seat straight up. You need to separate the inner sleeve unit from the outer sleeve and floor base of the pedestal in this way.

If you look closely there is a cap on the top of the inner sleeve about 4 inches long, and this cap should be welded to the inner sleeve. The "slide and swivel unit" on the under side of the seat fits over this cap, and conceals it, but if the weld attaching the cap to the inner sleeve lets go, the seat can never be tightened. This was my case.

The welding shop re-bonded the cap on the inner sleeve, so the seat could be tighted firmly to the inner sleeve using the hand knob on the swivel unit. The seat with the "slide and swivel unit" and the inner sleeve attached was then slid back onto the base pedestal, where the inner sleeve height is now locked in using the adjustment pin on the outer sleeve.

..Unless you have this seat problem you may never be able to visualize this, but if you have the Garelick Mfg seat pedestal, and your seat is still loose no matter how hard you tighten the hand knob, this is problably the issue.

I have pictures which I can email. sorry I am unable to fit them in this reply. Feel free to contact me.

SMK
    Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #8

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I had no idea Mariah used Garelick pedestals. I always understood they used Springfield. Unless of course someone changed the pedestal for whatever reason...
    Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #9

Find me on the Map

Send sweetdreams:
    a Private Message

..pictures are now attached, thanks to Chris, who downsized them for me and made them compatible to the website.

The important picture you really need to look at is the thumbnail picture on the left, with the three pieces in it. If you expand the thumbnail, you will see that the three pieces are numbered 1,2,3. The shorter tube shown in the middle(piece #2) is supposed to fit over the top of the longer but thinner diameter tube on the left (piece #1). After Piece #2 slides over piece #1, there is a weld that keeps th two locked together as shown in the other thumbnail picture. This weld is the one that had to be repaired.

Going back to the main thumbnail picture withe the three numbered pieces, the piece with the hand knob (piece #3) was removed from the bottom of the seat. The finger projectors on piece #3 screw into the slide bracket on the seat, and the round shaft on the other end of piece #3 fits over piece #2, and tightens to it with the hand knob. You can imagine how the seat attaches to piece number 3, and you reach under to turn the knob and tighten it to piece #2, which is welded to piece #1.

Piece #1 is the inner shaft of the pedestal base, and slides up and down within the floorbase(not shown, still bolted to the floor of the boat), and is kept in position with a locking pin. When the pin is removed, pieces #1, #2, and #3 along with the seat attached pull out of the floorbase shaft as one.

I hope this explains it.. Feel free to contact me with any questions, should you ever need to reference it..

SMK
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg pedestal1.jpg (36.3 KB, 29 views)
    File Type: jpg pedestal2.jpg (48.5 KB, 26 views)
    File Type: jpg pedestal3.jpg (44.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by sweetdreams; 12-27-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: photos uploaded