Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

The Diablo let me down today.. 1st time

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #1

180diablo is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1993
My Model: 1993 Diablo 180
My Engine: 3.0L Mercruiser AlphaI
Gallery Images: 30

Send 180diablo:
a Private Message

Default The Diablo let me down today.. 1st time

Well, rather then start up this thread on a downer. We did have an EXCELLENT day on the water Saturday. Chilled out, anchored, swam, sun tanned, took photos of our friend in her bikini for her.... (keep in mind, she is 42).

So this afternoon we attempted to start it up around 3pm and go for a quick boot around the lake and just... drive. So we got everything ready on board, and when we were finally ready to start it, all I got was a click, no crank. I had all gauges, trim up/down, radio, horn were working. I thought ok, that was odd. Tried it again, same thing. Hmmmm

Next my uncle came over to help out and we attempted a charger plugged into shore power to see if it would "bump" start it. No such luck. Next we cleaned up the accessory and main battery terminals (possible dirty connection). Nope that didnt fix it. Next he brought his battery out of his SUV to see if connecting it directly would start it, no such luck either.

I contacted my marina to let them know of the problem I was having and listed what we have tried etc (answering machine message). So at least they are aware of the problem. I have only been out on the boat only 3 times this year since getting it out of storage about 2-3 weeks ago.

My uncle is going to keep the trickle charger on it for the night and retry in the morning to see if anything helps it start. If nothing, then my mom/dad said they could bring it home with them in a few days. I would bring the battery into my work and do an AVR test to see if it is good/bad. If bad, replace. If good, dunno. LOL.

The battery guage was only reading about 13v and below. I "believe" it should be reading well over 13v (somewhere around say 14?). After attempting to start it would drop down to around say 12v. The battery was used all last season, it has been in the boat for an undertimined # of years. So it is probably due for a replacement ... HOWEVER.... my marina just gave the battery a passing grade to me and here we are with a no start.

Downside, I won't be up north for at least another two weeks due to other commiments down here on the weekend. So it will have to wait till about the 26th OR the long weekend before i'am able to go back up to figure out whats wrong with it.

I will update if anything happens tomrrow from my uncles re-check on it.
  • Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

300sflyer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 0

Send 300sflyer:
    a Private Message

A quick check of the battery cables on the engine, would be a good idea too. Check the pos terminal at the starter, and the ground wire on the engine block itself. If either one are loose, this could be the problem. failing that, it could be the starter or the solenoid. Let us know how you make out.
    Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #3

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

I'm betting it's the starter and/or solenoid. I've heard of people temporarily getting it to start by hitting the end of the starter with a hammer (this breaks the solenoid loose for at least a few more starts, but the problem will probably return). A new starter is fairly easy to replace - no need to pull the boat out. Just an hour or two and a few bloody knuckles!

Your battery should read about 12V while the engine isn't running. While running, I believe they say 14.4V is correct. Doesn't sound to me like a battery issue since you've tried jumping/used another battery/and your gauge readings sound correct.
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Sorry to hear that! I've been there, I did the whole hammer to the starter thing, and was able to get mine started quickly enough to get it back to the service area. Turns out it was the starter.

Keep us updated and good luck!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the input and feedback about possible fixes. Proving once again this webapge is very handy.

Based off your comments and based off information obtained from my uncle, it sounds like the starter or the solenoid is where my problem now lies.

Are there any tell-tale signs of a starter that is on its way out? Basically i'm trying to figure out if it would have been something that may have been noticed but missed while it was in for repairs. But I know the "if it isnt broken, dont fix it" rule may have applied in this situation. Since the boat was starting when it left the dock. But it has only been used 3 days since it left the docks in about 2 weeks time frame. Which means around 4 restarts since it left the marina's docks. If the marina gave me a clean bill of health and its not... whats up?..

So as an update:

My parents have contacted the marina where I store / service my boat and they said they would come down to get the boat (somehow). Obviously I dont have a trailer, so it would have to be towed via waterway or moved over to the nearest ramp and removed via trailer that way. As per the phone coversation my mom had with the tech up there, they weren't really offering to "help me out" per say with getting it back and running. They were basically just looking to add more into the service charge. Towing fee, labour fee, parts fee, taxes...etc.

So now enter the local boating supply/repair store (where I buy all my misc boat parts from) the tech up there has offered to come down to the boat dock where my boat is resting right now (3 minute drive from his shop) and for $30 he will troubleshoot and diag it for me.

My uncle has attempted to hit a screwdriver to the starter/solenoid and has also attempted to bridge the starter posts to jump it and still nothing past a click.

More details to be added in later tonight upon the local tech's findings later on tonight.

Thanks again guys!

Shabah: Sorry, never really got any decent side shots of the Diablo this past weekend! LOL!
    Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #6

GrayDog is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1995 Davanti 205

Send GrayDog:
    a Private Message

Try manually rotating the engine (key off) and then starting. If you have a dead spot in the starter windings, it may have reached the point of engaging and then no more. This was not an uncommon problem for GM V-8 motors.

By rotating the motor, you will disengage the starter drive from the flywheel and move it off it's dead spot.

If this works, replace the starter immediately as it will surely happen again.

Other things to check...

Make sure your battery cables are in good condition. It they are swelled inside the insulation near the terminals, your cable(s) could have internal corrosion which is just as bad as corroded battery terminals.

Check the ground cable where it attaches to the block. Make sure the connection is good and there is no engine paint blocking the current flow.

Make sure the starter motor mounting bolts are tight (another problem with GM V-8's). I the motor is loose at all it can effect the ground connection.

Do a load test on the battery. I it has a bad cell, all of your accessories will work fine but the load of the starter will put it over the edge.

Hope this helps.

Brad
    Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send 180diablo:
    a Private Message

GrayDog, thanks for all the help and information you provided. Future searches will indeed help another member if they happen to run into the same condition I have. You have mentioned a few good points that I know we did not investigate fully.

However, the downside of my situation is once I leave the cottage it will be a few weeks before I'am able to see the boat again. It isn't readily available (ie at my house) to tinker with. So any service work would be performed by a mechanic while i'm at home, working during the week. I also have the 3.0L motor and not a V8 like you were suggesting.

So back to my update,

It was indeed a starter and it will be replaced tomorrow. The original marina where I was storing/winterizing/servicing said it would be about 3-5 days before they would be able to even touch the boat. The other marine where I have been buying my "misc" boat parts from, came out within the SAME DAY and looked at it while he was on call to another customer in the same area. $30 to take a look, diaged, starter needs replacing. Starter is on order and will be installed Tuesday at his convience and it will be good to go again.

So once this is done, my parents will be asking them about winterizing / storage costs for this year and if they happen to be cheaper..... I might just be leaving where I have been having work done.

Normally I like to stick to one spot (think about going to a different dentist or doctor each time you had a problem). But if one is going to be cheaper, cheaper wins with me... LOL.

New starter on my boat makes it go Vaaaroom again .. eh MikeyT
    Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #8

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #9

GrayDog is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1995 Davanti 205

Send GrayDog:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 180diablo View Post
    ... I also have the 3.0L motor and not a V8 like you were suggesting.
    My bad for not reading more carefully your bio. The V-6 suffered from the same problems. Glad it's straightforward fix. -Brad
    Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #10

Diablo180 is currently offline
    My Model: I am the second woman.....

Send Diablo180:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indykoch View Post
    A new starter is fairly easy to replace - no need to pull the boat out. Just an hour or two and a few bloody knuckles!
    Ya know the whole bloody knuckle thing would ease his frustration however... I would be the one on the dock with the bandages shaking my head as I wrap gauze around his hands...

but then again it might be quite the show...