Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

1994 Prestige Trailer weight needed

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Cappy is currently offline
My Year: 1994
My Model: Shabah
My Engine: Mercruiser 4.3LX
Gallery Images: 0

Send Cappy:
a Private Message

Default 1994 Prestige Trailer weight needed

We have a Shabah 202 boat on the original Prestige trailer.

I tried to get a plate at the Secretary of State and they sent me home because I did not have the trailer weight.

Anyone have this type of boat and trailer that can point me to a document for the trailer that has the weight? It seems the previous owner never had a plate on the trailer. SoS said take the empty trailer to a truck weigh station. Would like a simpler solution.

Edit: Maybe this documentation could be had if I sign up with the Platinum package?

Last edited by Cappy; 06-08-2020 at 07:22 PM.
  • Old 06-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 1994 Prestige Trailer weight needed

Not really. I dont think the Admins on this site had much of the trailer information. The boat weight (2550 lbs) is published though so you could haul your boat/trailer to the nearest truck weigh scale and then do the math to find the trailer weight.
    Old 06-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #3

Send Cappy:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    Not really. I dont think the Admins on this site had much of the trailer information. The boat weight (2550 lbs) is published though so you could haul your boat/trailer to the nearest truck weigh scale and then do the math to find the trailer weight.
    Actually, I just realized it is a Heritage trailer not a Prestige, not that it makes much difference.

Apparently in Michigan you need a certified weight. If I took to a truck stop with boat on trailer, I would get a certified weight of around 3500 lbs which is over the 2500 lb max for an untitled trailer. I doubt the government bureaucracy that is the SoS would let me do the subtraction math. So I need to take boat off trailer then to get a proper weight.

What a mess.

Boat is currently back at the marina for repair where it has been 95% of the time the past 11 months. I'll see if the marina can take the boat off the trailer while they work on it so I can get the trailer weighed. I don't know about a truck weigh station as they are almost never open around here except for spot checks.

Making things more difficult during this Covid time I just can't pop into the secretary of state offices multiple times until they have the paperwork they accept, I need to set an appointment about a week in advance and wait in the car. I already wasted one appointment today so I need to make sure I have a decent shot at getting a plate during next weeks appointment.

From Michigan SoS:

"If the trailer weight is not available, you will need to have the trailer weighed on a certified scale. You can usually find certified scales at truck stops, grain elevators, scrap metal recyclers and junk yards. According to Michigan law, you are allowed to tow it to the closest certified scale without a license plate. You will need the scale weight receipt when you register your trailer with the Secretary of State."
    Old 06-11-2020, 02:38 AM   #4

pcuddy is currently offline
    My Year: 1990
    My Model: 2150XLC
    My Engine: Mercruiser 5.7 V8

Send pcuddy:
    a Private Message

Cappy,
    do you know the model number of the Heritage trailer? I just picked up my 1990 2150 XLC and I have a heritage trailer that is registered at 4500 lbs. Hoping that helps.
    Old 06-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #5

Send Cappy:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pcuddy View Post
    Cappy,
    do you know the model number of the Heritage trailer? I just picked up my 1990 2150 XLC and I have a heritage trailer that is registered at 4500 lbs. Hoping that helps.

That is a very heavy trailer! You could pull a tug boat with that one. Found out ours weighs 750 Lbs.

We got the VIN number, called Heritage, and they sent the weight on company letterhead.

Just got a plate this morning after they gave me a hard time. The same women as Tuesday said she told me to get the trailer weighed, I fibbed and said no you said I needed documentation with the weight and here is a letter from the company. She huddled with the manager and he said give me the $75 plate.

All plates are $75 lifetime unless a trailer is over 2500 lbs. No trailers for a 20 foot boat are anywhere close to that (except yours but I suspect that is the weight rating that it can hold not the trailer weight).

Cross another thing off my list, now I need to hope boat gets out of shop while the warm weather is here.

Last edited by Cappy; 06-11-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #6

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I think that 'pcuddy' is actually referring to the trailer capacity weight and not the actual weight of the trailer itself.