Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

1997 Shabah 180SE New Owner Questions

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

KrispySquirrel is currently offline
My Year: 1997
My Model: Shabah 180SE
My Engine: 4.3L Mercury
Gallery Images: 0

Send KrispySquirrel:
a Private Message

Lightbulb 1997 Shabah 180SE New Owner Questions

Thanks in advance for the information!

I purchased my Shabah on August 9 from the original owners. It has been professionally maintained by very reputable mechanics at The Boat Doctor every year since new and they have provided me with service records as far back as they have saved. The boat was stored indoors every winter and on a covered hoist every summer and only trailerd to and from their home and the shop twice a year. I have the original Chariot trailer as well.

Included in the sale is the original owner's manual and engine guide. Just about everything is original, minus routine maintenance items, starter, bellows, etc. Needless to say, it was an excellent find! There are a few things that need attention, however, and I'd appreciate your advice.

1. Ski locker is continually damp or wet, does not drain well, smells bad
2. Blower squeals when it runs, usually stops after a minute or after being turned off and back on
3. No cover or snaps for one, previous owner didn't need one. Purchased a "made to fit" trailering cover with a 10 year warranty. It fits very snugly nose to tail and around from outdrive to the windshield. Very loose and hangs down on the sides of the bow. It does the job and keeps the water out but is difficult to properly secure. Suggestions for a better system?
4. Also no bimini, but there is an area to stow one. Best place to purchase an aftermarket one?
5. Best after market depth finder? Preferably transom mount, not comfortable drilling holes.
6. Original Jensen AM/FM cassette stereo has died. Replacement suggestions?
7. Rub rail rubber needs to be replaces. I've located the replacement rubber but am wondering if this is an easy fix or something that I should hand off?
8. I want to upgrade my Perko switch to accommodate 2 batteries. Has anyone had any problems with this?
9. Where can I purchase a replacement arm for the sundeck/engine cover? One is broken.

Thank you SO much!
  • Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 1997 Shabah 180SE New Owner Questions

1. Clean the drain from the ski locker to the bilge then give it a good airing out. No matter what you do though you will not completely stop water from getting into that area.
    2. Probably needs to be replaced because the bearing is failing. Easy fix.
    3. Custom made for an exact fit.
    4. Any marine canvas shop will custom make one, again for an exact fit.
    5. It doesn't already have one? Most Mariahs came equipped with either a transom mounted transducer or one mounted in the floor just in front of the engine.
    6. Anything you want.
    7. Easy fix. Just use a lubricant to install.
    8. Not that I'm aware of. There are a couple of "How to's" available here on this site and you can easily find You-Tube videos explaining how to do it.
    9. Do a site search here on 'Strut'. A few site members have found solutions.
    Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

brentsc is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Z210 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7 MAG MPI
    Gallery Images: 0

Send brentsc:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 1997 Shabah 180SE New Owner Questions

For #1, I found the channels (1/2 inch white tube on mine) that goes through the floor from the ski compartment to under the gas tank to the engine compartment gets plugged with 'crap'. Using a coat hanger/ wire brush cleaning out the passage ways allowed water to drain easier.

#3 I went with custom cover that they added the proper snaps where needed. (same for Bimini top, custom fit)

#6 I went with a solid state system that has bluetooth/ streaming music (Fusion)

#8 went with the blue sea add-a-battery system... worked well

Regards, Brent