Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Maiden voyage

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Maciej is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1994
My Model: 180 Talari
My Engine: 4.3 Merc
Gallery Images: 0

Send Maciej:
a Private Message

Default Maiden voyage

So this past weekend we finally got our Talari 180 on the water. I was a bit anxious as first time with anything but our jet boat, and gave the people at the boat launch a scare/show when I was trying to turn the boat around and applied a wee bit too much throttle Is the bow not supposed to go that high at the launch?
Anyway, she seemed to do just fine and I think I got in the groove fairly quickly, trim down all the way to start, about 1/2 when we were on plane. Still need time to play with that and find the sweet spot. Speedo seems not to be working but we know how reliable those are, so can't tell you speeds. She got on plane fairly quickly, I would say 5 seconds maybe, although the bow up in the air that high is new to me. I'll have to time it next time. Running a 21 pitch aluminum 3 blade, and have a dinged 21 for spare as well as original 23p. I was surprised to find we were topping out around 5k rpm, I was expecting more at the top of the engine rpm band of 4600-4800 with the 21p from what I've read. Obviously didn't keep it there long and cruised mostly around 4200-4400. At some point may need to use a proper gauge to verify before tinkering with 4 blade props/pitch. Main focus will be water sports and maneuverability, so not concerned with top end.
Watching my other gauges, temp stayed in the 160-170 range I believe, and oil pressure was around 40 or just over at 4200-4400 rpm, and at first alarming low at idle, right near the bottom, but I would say a few psi. From my reading it seems 30-70 at running speeds and 4 at idle is right for the 4.3, so I think we are ok. For cruising I had the trim at about half on the gauge, will need to play around with that.
Steering was less precise than I am used to on the jet boat that just carved the water, but I didn't really get on it too hard yet. I did try to play around with the trim and was trimming down a bit and giving some throttle during turns.
I think as much as the wife was initially thrilled with buying this boat, the extra weight, compared to our 1100lb Seadoo Challenger, and the extra controls with the trim adjustments while running, are now overwhelming her a bit. She also wasn't thrilled looking through the windshield, used to being closer to the water and unobstructed views. I tried to point out that had we got the larger Seadoo boats we were looking at the windshield/height above the water issue would be the same. I think a little steeper learning curve and comfort she had with the other boat have scared her, but she will get used to it. Plus once we get towing tubes/skiers she will hopefully realize the full benefit.
Overall, had a great first day with the boat, happy she started and ran so well, quick to plane, smooth and quiet ride.
Couple of questions to finish off this long post.
For the copper/brass screw in drain plug, this is new to me and I don't see a seal. I've heard you can use it as is or use teflon tape. Thoughts? The boat will mostly be staying in the water at the dock for the next 3-4 months.
Also, I realized that I don't have a plug at the top of the outdrive where one would unscrew the anode that is right above the prop. Is it absolutely necessary and can I just pick that up at a marina/shop or what do I search for to order this part?

Thanks all for reading my long post
Firestone likes this.
Thank you Maciej for this useful post!
Firestone (05-30-2017)
  • Old 05-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #2

Firestone is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7 MAG MPI, Alpha One

Send Firestone:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Maiden voyage

1st welcome to the club! Sounds like a great maiden voyage. The speedometer work off water pressure from an intake on the front of tge outdrive. They can get clogged pretty easy. I use a speedometer app with gps and it does just fine. Bow rise can be corrected pretty easy with the installation of smart tabs. Best $130 a spent on my boat. I have a brass plug with Teflon tape and have not had any issues. These are great boats and are built to last.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

- 2000 Mariah Shabah Z202, 5.7L MAG MPI, Alpha One
    Thank you Firestone for this useful post!
    Maciej (05-30-2017)
    Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send Maciej:
    a Private Message

I read about how the speed is measured through outdrive last night, will have to check on that before I start messing with wiring.

Thanks
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 05-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

Firestone is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Engine: 5.7 MAG MPI, Alpha One

Send Firestone:
    a Private Message

There is a small hose that runs from your outdrive to the back of your speedometer for it to measure the water pressure. No wires are evolved. Search the site for more info. I pulled mine from the speedometer and applied a very low setting from my air compressor to clean mine out only to have it clogged with weeds on the next outing lol. Good luck! Oh and if you pulled make sure to zip tie it or you will have water shooting at you from the underside of the dash.

- 2000 Mariah Shabah Z202, 5.7L MAG MPI, Alpha One

Last edited by Firestone; 05-30-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Old 05-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send Maciej:
    a Private Message

Maybe that would solve the issue of the pesky windshield stopping my wife from enjoying the closeness to the water
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 05-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #6

pllevine is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 202 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.0L Alpha

Send pllevine:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
    There is a small hose that runs from your outdrive to the back of your speedometer for it to measure the water pressure. No wires are evolved. Search the site for more info. I pulled mine from the speedometer and applied a very low setting from my air compressor to clean mine out only to have it clogged with weeds on the next outing lol. Good luck! Oh and if you pulled make sure to zip tie it or you will have water shooting at you from the underside of the dash.

I took a very small drillbit and twisted it BY HAND to clear the blockage from the pitot tube in the outdrive... Worked great and surprised how much came out.. Zoom into the chartplotter and compare against the speedo. Both at 25MPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Firestone likes this.
    Thank you pllevine for this useful post!
    Firestone (05-30-2017)
    Old 05-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

1996 Mariah Z252 is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z255 Shabah
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III

Send 1996 Mariah Z252:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
    So this past weekend we finally got our Talari 180 on the water. I was a bit anxious as first time with anything but our jet boat, and gave the people at the boat launch a scare/show when I was trying to turn the boat around and applied a wee bit too much throttle Is the bow not supposed to go that high at the launch?

Anyway, she seemed to do just fine and I think I got in the groove fairly quickly, trim down all the way to start, about 1/2 when we were on plane. Still need time to play with that and find the sweet spot. Speedo seems not to be working but we know how reliable those are, so can't tell you speeds. She got on plane fairly quickly, I would say 5 seconds maybe, although the bow up in the air that high is new to me. I'll have to time it next time. Running a 21 pitch aluminum 3 blade, and have a dinged 21 for spare as well as original 23p. I was surprised to find we were topping out around 5k rpm, I was expecting more at the top of the engine rpm band of 4600-4800 with the 21p from what I've read. Obviously didn't keep it there long and cruised mostly around 4200-4400. At some point may need to use a proper gauge to verify before tinkering with 4 blade props/pitch. Main focus will be water sports and maneuverability, so not concerned with top end.

Watching my other gauges, temp stayed in the 160-170 range I believe, and oil pressure was around 40 or just over at 4200-4400 rpm, and at first alarming low at idle, right near the bottom, but I would say a few psi. From my reading it seems 30-70 at running speeds and 4 at idle is right for the 4.3, so I think we are ok. For cruising I had the trim at about half on the gauge, will need to play around with that.

Steering was less precise than I am used to on the jet boat that just carved the water, but I didn't really get on it too hard yet. I did try to play around with the trim and was trimming down a bit and giving some throttle during turns.

I think as much as the wife was initially thrilled with buying this boat, the extra weight, compared to our 1100lb Seadoo Challenger, and the extra controls with the trim adjustments while running, are now overwhelming her a bit. She also wasn't thrilled looking through the windshield, used to being closer to the water and unobstructed views. I tried to point out that had we got the larger Seadoo boats we were looking at the windshield/height above the water issue would be the same. I think a little steeper learning curve and comfort she had with the other boat have scared her, but she will get used to it. Plus once we get towing tubes/skiers she will hopefully realize the full benefit.

Overall, had a great first day with the boat, happy she started and ran so well, quick to plane, smooth and quiet ride.

For the copper/brass screw in drain plug, this is new to me and I don't see a seal. I've heard you can use it as is or use teflon tape. Thoughts? The boat will mostly be staying in the water at the dock for the next 3-4 months.

Also, I realized that I don't have a plug at the top of the outdrive where one would unscrew the anode that is right above the prop. Is it absolutely necessary and can I just pick that up at a marina/shop or what do I search for to order this part?

Thanks all for reading my long post
    Same here!

Thanks.
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 05-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

Grimm is currently offline

Send Grimm:
    a Private Message

If you have a cell phone, download a gps app to measure your speed. Or you can get a separate gps, preferably with marine mapping installed.
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 06-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #9

Find me on the Map

Send Maciej:
    a Private Message

Yeah, I actually have a Lowrance LMS-520c that came with it, but not functioning. Seller was told by tech support that it could be an internal fuse, I found no such thing taking the thing apart into bitty pieces. Next will be to test the wiring connections for the unit. I've use my phone and the clean out methods suggested next time I'm at the boat or have it out of the water.
    Firestone likes this.
    Thank you Maciej for this useful post!
    pllevine (06-01-2017)
    Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 AM   #10

GaryDoug is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send GaryDoug:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maciej View Post

Your boat has a very heavy engine/drive combo in the back that causes it to rise up. Smart Tabs or regular (expensive) ones will stop that. I would not go higher than 60 lb tabs on your boat.

... and at first alarming low at idle, right near the bottom, but I would say a few psi. From my reading it seems 30-70 at running speeds and 4 at idle is right for the 4.3, so I think we are ok.

4 PSI at idle is the absolute minimum given in the Mercruiser manual. I would change the oil immediately just in case there is some contamination like gas or water. Use the recommended 25W-40 (hard to find ) oil.
    Steering was less precise than I am used to on the jet boat that just carved the water, but I didn't really get on it too hard yet.

The I/O unit is much heavier than the jet drive unit.

As said before, use Teflon tape just like in plumbing fittings.

Not sure about that. Can you post a photo? Do you have a late model Bravo 3 drive? Those bolt from the bottom.

OOPs. I guess you meant you are just missing the plug.

Try this site for the plug: http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-Ste...view_id.268710
    Firestone likes this.
    -- I like to make my stuff last a while --

Last edited by GaryDoug; 06-01-2017 at 03:37 AM.