Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Clean clean clean

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-02-2016, 03:00 AM   #1

Brian Belcher is currently offline
My Year: 1997
My Model: Z276
My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send Brian Belcher:
a Private Message

Default Clean clean clean

So, we've been out once,for two days, so far. The wife and I have been cleaning, waxing, tightening and just plain ole PMing. And we love it.
Going out this weekend even though they are calling for sever storms and torrential rains on Saturday. We were going to get wet anyways.
I had a battle with the shower sump, float switch. I ended up using a bilge float switch and it works every bit as well as the $65 one that came in it. The shower floor drain was flopping and the sealant was gone. Took out, cleaned up like new, silicone back and tightened. That "system works awesome now.
The wiring behind the dash was a birds nest. Made no sense with what the guy had done over the years. Got it 90% cleaned up with crimps and shrink tubing.
Took the out dated chart out and put a Hummingbird Helix 5 DI Sonar GPS in its place. Only issue is a suitable place to epoxy the transducer down. May have to go mid ship. I got it for the Navionics charts. I rely on the stock Lowrance sounder for depth.
Went through the bilge pumps and made sure they came on automatically, which they did ! I took and entire bottle of Dawn soap and with the plug in, I poured 6 buckets of soapy water into the bilge. After 30 mins, I flipped the batts back on and let the pumps take it out. Took plug out and just let water flow through the bilge from the access to the shower sump.
Tomorrow, going to get a place cleaned up for the transducer and run the wires to the helm.
At some point, I gots to get the gimbal ring off and get it to Ron at JR Marine. I'm trying to muster the stupidity and just blow a grand on the SS ring, and be done with it forever.
Now for a question;
The previous owner left 1" and smaller holes in the cabin. Less than 6 (?). What can I use to patch these??
The boat is bright white in places and ivory in others.
  • Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Clean clean clean

Holes in what surface?
    pllevine likes this.
    Old 06-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

What sort of holes were they? Any idea what they were used for? Pics?

The majority of the boat both in the cockpit and cabin is fiberglass overcoated with gelcoat. I'm not 100% sure which exact gelcoat color it is, but if yours is like mine, the exterior is a bright white, and the interior is an offset almond color, not exactly ivory. MiniCraft out of Florida is one of the OEM recommended gelcoat suppliers, and can likely get you whatever color you need in order to repair them.

For your transducer, if you're going midship, try and keep it closer to your existing depth sounder transducer, and further away from the fluxgate compass sensor. It's the other large black plastic thing down there, and t's sensitive to electromagnetic disturbances, so try and keep your wiring far away, as it can affect the accuracy. In the event your gps stops functioning and you would need to use the compass for navigation, it'll still be able to get you back.

Do you have any pics of your cleaned up dash wiring? Would love to see how it turned out!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 06-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

Hunter12345 is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 5.7l merc Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 2

Send Hunter12345:
    a Private Message

Theres crimp and shrink products, crimp it and heat shrink in one..available for low voltage applications, ive used them, along with the anti oxidant joint compound to prevent oxidization depending on the crimp, and wire material. Depending on the alloys in the wire. Heat shrink, sealant wont stop corrosion between 2 wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk