The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   bravo 3 new prop shaft seals leaking (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/9218-bravo-3-new-prop-shaft-seals-leaking.html)

Txtruckerpaul 04-21-2014 02:14 PM

bravo 3 new prop shaft seals leaking

Took my talari on the water yesterday for the first time since having my prop shaft seals replaced. I noticed this morning that there is a puddle of drive unit oil under the skeg. it's leaking behind the rear prop and has about a one foot diameter puddle on the floor. I really don't think new seals should leak, especially this bad. Any ideas? This thing is turning out to be a nightmare

Motoxxx43 04-21-2014 05:42 PM

Re: bravo 3 new prop shaft seals leaking

There is a possibility you may have got fishing string tangled in there. My dads out drive drained last season because of that...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 04-21-2014 05:43 PM

It's a possibility. I need to pull the props off and look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 04-21-2014 10:53 PM

Did the fishing line ruin the seals?

Motoxxx43 04-22-2014 01:18 AM

Yeah. I don't know how it gets into the places it did but the string was on the oil side of the seal wadded up. Basically tore seal up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 04-22-2014 05:35 AM

Oh no. I just had new seals put on this thing too. I've been doing a lot of searching for info on this and found a lot of instances where new seals will leak some until they are run in and seated. If I don't find any fishing line, I guess I can hope that this is the case

ColoradoDiablo 04-22-2014 12:30 PM

Paul ,
There is no reason for the seal to leak unless one of the following happens:
The fishing line around shaft , as has already been stated
A groove in the prop shaft itself
A bent prop shaft
A bad seal
Or a bad install of the seal
What does the marine tech that did your reseal say?
Ask him to pressure/vacuum test the drive , if it doesn't hold pressure/vacuum , then it is going to get water in the drive
Water in drive = bad things happen quickly

JMO

Txtruckerpaul 04-22-2014 12:39 PM

Larry, haven't talked to the shop that replaced my seal yet, but I do remember him saying he had a heck if a time getting it on there. Kinda raised my eyebrows when I heard that. I'm gonna pull the props off later this morning. If there's no fishing line, then it could be a bad install or one of the other things you mentioned

ColoradoDiablo 04-22-2014 12:40 PM

Keep us posted Paul.:wink_thumbup:

Txtruckerpaul 04-22-2014 12:43 PM

I'll post my findings. This thing is really turning into a money pit. Found several other things wrong, too, that need attention on top of the seal leak