Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Looking at two Mariahs, need some wisdom!

Introductions

Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Royskie is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Barchetta
My Engine: 4.3 Merc
Gallery Images: 0

Send Royskie:
a Private Message

Default Looking at two Mariahs, need some wisdom!

Hello all -

OK, I belong to the MOC. I have to confess that I don't own a Mariah boat, yet. I have been lurking like a guy driving a van with "free candy" painted on the side, reading, learning. I want to thank all the Mariah owners on this forum for all the insight.

Did the research, looked at and tested a number of bowriders from the other big names, can't wait to take the family boating, I have a friend with a Barchetta, "buyer time" is coming up on the calendar, I've got the budget roughly set with room either way, winter storage is sorted out, boat lift in summer is a go, I know Mariah is what I am going with, and so-on. It's time.

I want a 19'-21', original vintage, naturally leaning toward the 21' range. I have searched, and I am willing to travel, although the prospect of going a long distance to find a boat not truthfully advertised gives me pause. There are some close to me, and they have preference.

So there are two I am looking at. Any input any of the members here have on either of these two vessels is much appreciated.

minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/3236244785.html
This boat looks well cared for. Limited information in the ad, but the trailer looks solid to me. A little small, but it would do nicely for a family of five. The 4.3 is proven. What do you guys think about the price?

Mariah shabah z202 1995
Now THIS boat speaks to me. The first boat is practical, even for a Mariah, original, and looks to be well maintained. This second boat has a 7.4 in it. Reading here, I am almost certain the Z202 didn't come with the 454. Through hull capitains call, I like that. Bigger boat than the first. Ad doesn't say anything about a trailer. Again, the price, any thoughts here? Seems high. Also, anyone familiar with repowering, is there anything specific I should look for on this boat? Bay heat possibly? If an owner repowers with something like this, are there other things likely done to the boat? This boat, with this much snort is a really interesting prospect.

These are all general questions, I know. I am just looking for some general thoughts from anybody here. Naturally, I would have either surveyed before buying them. In terms of the prices of these boats, if anyone had to guess, what do you guys think a starting point would be if you had cash-in-hand to negotiate with?

Again, thanks for any input on this. I look forward to being an actual owner of one of these great boats soon.

Royskie
  • Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Looking at two Mariahs, need some wisdom!

Interesting choices. That Barchetta does look to be very well maintained and cared for. However, with a family of 5 i suspect you will soon outgrow it and be looking for something bigger in a year or two. The Z202 will handle the family a little more comfortably (there's no substitute for space or power for that matter) and it will ride a little better in the choppy stuff. I believe u are right that it never came with the 454 as the max hp rating at the prop is 275 per the '95 brochure. Now whether the extra ponies will affect anything i just dont know. I'll leave that one to the performance guys here. As for the price, the Barchetta is priced at the top of its range while the Z202 is a little overpriced and more so particularly if there is no trailer. Both appear to want spring-summer prices when we're getting close to fall.
    Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

Dozer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Z202 shabah
    My Engine: 5.0 liter alpha 1

Send Dozer:
    a Private Message

Royskie, I have a 98 z202 and me and my family LOVE it. It does handle the larger lakes very well. Cuts through the chop better than boats larger than this. I have a family of 5 and we fit perfectly including the friends that we seem to always have with us. It is a little higher priced than I paid but prices vary from place to place. Also, it may have come with the 7.4. I'm pretty sure it was an option on my boat. I have the 5.0 liter and the performance is more than adequate. Not saying I wouldn't want the 7.4 but with gas being as expensive as it is it's fine for now. Good luck! The Mariah's are incredible boats!
    Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

TexasZ212 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Send TexasZ212:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Looking at two Mariahs, need some wisdom!

Both look great to me and the prices would not give me pause if they check out to be well taken care of and maintained.

Lots of boats out there for sale in all kinds of price ranges. From what I have seen over the years, the Mariahs are 'generally' better taken care of and maintained than most.

Surveyors are a crapshoot at best...some good, "most" not so good and not worth the money you pay them.
    If you have a friend that knows about boats or if they know someone they can vouch for their experience and knowledge about boats, better to let them look it over, "test it on the water" and go from there.

End of season prices ought to be better/lower but it's still what the market will bring at any given time.
    You can make an offer and see if they will take it, or perhaps meet you part way. So many variables, like how much do they really want/need to sell it, their bottom dollar amount and if they are in a money crunch or not.

If' 'it is' a great deal, don't diddle too much or someone else will buy it while you're still trying to negotiate the price down.
    Zins likes this.