Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Howdy from a potential owner of a 96 Talari 22 Cuddy

Introductions

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #1

pnewby is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send pnewby:
a Private Message

Default Howdy from a potential owner of a 96 Talari 22 Cuddy

I am trying to find out as much as I can about a 1996 Talari 22 Cuddy Cabin. Are there any promo materials available yet for that model? We are trying to make an informed buying decision. The boat we are looking at appears to be well kept & in great conditioin for a 11 year old boat. I have enjoyed learning about the history of the company. Thanks for a great site.
  • Old 08-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #2

lawmanbsi is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send lawmanbsi:
    a Private Message

there are several members with talaris that post often. they will help you get the help you need to buy your boat.. good luck and welcome to the club. did I mention we love our shabah
    Old 08-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #3

MariahMan is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 252 Shabah
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, DP
    Gallery Images: 211

Send MariahMan:
    a Private Message

Welcome to the club pnewby! I'm glad that you are enjoying the site. Unfortunately, we do not yet have a brochure for the 1996 model years. Chris, ShabahZ250, is currently in the process of scanning in more materials that he has received so he may have a copy that he will be uploading soon. Perhaps he will chime in here and let us know if we will be getting a 1996 Promo Brochure soon.

Here's a list of items to look for when you checkout the boat. These were posted over on iBoats by 180Shabah who is also a member here!

Quote:
    You need to look at the same things as on any oter used boat. Some of the specifics will very based on the engine/drive manufacturer and model.

The basics are:
    - condition of the floor, look for any rot/soft spots
    - same goes for the transom, seat bases or any other place that there is wood
    - A solid floor and transom does not guarantee that the stringer are solid, however if either of these show rot there is almost always more damage to the hull structure that cannot be seen.
    - When was the drive last serviced? What is the condition of the oil? Metal particles? Water in it?
    - When were the bellows last changed(if ever) On a 2000 they are probably original and are at or near the end of thier servicable life. When the drive comes off, the ujoints gimbal bearing and shift cable also need to inspected/serviced.
    - When was the sea water impeller last replaced? It should be done every year in salt water, every other in fresh. It is located in the drive on Alphas and is engine mounted on Bravos and all Volvo Pentas.
    - What is the condition/level of the engine oil?
    - Do a compression test on the engine, compare the results to the FSM (or you could post the results in the I/O forum on this board.
    - When were the exhaust manifolds and risers last replaced. In salt water tey have a life expectancy of 5 years. In fresh water they need to be inspected starting at five years, but they may last longer than the rest of the boat. A failure of either one of these(or the joint between them can destroy your entire engine with little or no warning)
    - When was the last time a full tune-up was performed?
    - Have any parts been replaced with non-marine parts? At best automotive parts have short lifespans in boat. However, many parts(fuel, ignition, and electrical) must be marine rated to pevent your boat from exploding.
    - Test everything for proper operation
    If there is a trailer there other thing to check as well.
    - What is the condition of the tires?
    - When were the wheel bearings last cleaned and repacked. This should be done every year.
    Do the lights all work?
    Does it have brakes? If so, when were they last serviced?

I have probaly left a few things out, but this should get you started.

Good Luck
    I hope that helps! Feel free to post up any more questions you may have.

ThunderShark Web Solutions
    PM or email me if you need hosting or community support.
    Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #4

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Welcome to the board pnewby! Unfortunately 1996 is the only year of promo material we do not have currently, however I believe one may be coming soon. From what it appears, i don't believe they made many changes from 95-97.

We're a friendly bunch here, unlike most boards, so if you need help, or have any questions, we'll all help you out!