Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New member, looking for info

Introductions

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #1

lakelizard is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1992 Mariah MX19 4.3 ltr. Merc Alpha One
Gallery Images: 0

Send lakelizard:
a Private Message

Question New member, looking for info

Hi everybody! I was googling, looking for parts for my '92 MX19, and found your website. So far, I've seen alot of good information. I was at Norris Lake a couple of weeks ago, and on our last day, the boat wouldn't start. It turns over fine, but I can't get fuel to the carb. It's a 4.3 litre with a 2 bbl. carb. I determined (apparently in error) that with the ignition turned on, I had no power to the fuel pump, but I did determine that I had a good ground. I ran a jumper wire from the electric choke to the hot side of the fuel pump, and powered the fuel pump, but still can't get fuel to the carb. The boat has a little over 300 hours on it, and still has the original filter unit. The problem is, I can't find a filter. I had a dealer today telling me that Merc NEVER used the type of filter I have, that it should have a housing on the side of the block, with a spin-on filter. Mine is a small, canister type with a rubber line on the inlet, and a steel line from the outlet of the filter to the inlet of the pump.

From the information I've been able to gather so far, it looks like I need to check out the oil pressure switch down by the filter, as a potential remedy to the fuel pump power problem. Question is, can I get a new filter, or does everyone just upgrade to the Merc unit with the spin-on filter? Thanks, in advance, for your help!
  • Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #2

rpeterson is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1992 MX19 4.3LX
    Gallery Images: 20

Send rpeterson:
    a Private Message

Welcome, I have a 92 with a 4.3 and there is not a fuel filter on it that I know of, surely not a spin on type. Seems to me that I had asked someone about a fuel filter and he told me that there wasn't one on my motor. I thought that was strange but I have never found anything that resembles one. Maybe yours had one added to it at some point. I have a 4 barrel carb and I think he told me that there was a screen at the carb but I cannot really remember.
    Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #3

Mark is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Mark:
    a Private Message

On my 4.3 I have a spin on water separating fuel filter. I think thats what you are looking at.
    Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send lakelizard:
    a Private Message

Smile '92 MX19 fuel filter

I definitely don't have the spin-on filter unit. My filter unit looks somewhat like an automotive filter, and it's inline between the tank and the pump. What leads me to believe it's the original unit is that the filter, the bracket, and the steel line between the filter and the pump are all painted black just like the motor, and it looks as though it was all painted at the same time, on the motor, prior to installation in the hull. The boat only had 114 hours on it when we bought it.

I'll take a couple of photos, and see if I can get them posted. I haven't had any luck trying to find a replacement filter to match what's on there. According to my manual, it has a water-separating filter unit installed. I'm thinking I may need to convert it to a spin-on filter unit, and modify the lines.

Thanks for your responses. I guess I should post a photo or two of my boat too. Mine's also red and white, with red and white interior, but I've got the sport seating package, with the engine under the sun deck. It's still in nice shape for the most part, but needs a little vinyl work on the seats.
    Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send lakelizard:
    a Private Message

Default '92 MX19 fuel filter

I wanted to post a couple of photos of the fuel filter unit I was discussing. I don't have a real good photo of the bracket, or how it mounts, but I think they're good enough to show what's going on.

I'll have to look closer at my block to make sure I have provisions to bolt the spin-on filter housing on there. I'm assuming it won't be a problem.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_1601.JPG (127.4 KB, 25 views)
    File Type: jpg IMG_1602.JPG (134.5 KB, 22 views)
    File Type: jpg IMG_1603.JPG (128.6 KB, 20 views)