Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Just bought my first boat! 1995 182 Barchetta

Introductions

Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

loganx80 is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: 182 Barchetta
My Engine: MerCruiser 4.3XLX/V6
Gallery Images: 0

Send loganx80:
a Private Message

Default Just bought my first boat! 1995 182 Barchetta

I am brand new to boat ownership. We purchased a jet ski earlier this year and our family really enjoyed it, but there are 5 of us, so it was a lot of hanging out at the marina and making switch offs. Also, we could only pull one person on a tube at a time. We decided that now that we were "lake people", we really needed a boat instead. Jumped on Facebook and found a 1995 Barchetta in our price range and started reading good things about these boats online. Met the prior owner at the lake and took a few laps and he gave me a crash course in how to drive the thing.

What do I need to know and any advice for a new boat owner? I live in Kansas so I'm only on lakes. Any upgrades I should look into. I started reading about the Smart Tabs and the boat does take a bit to get up on a plane, so that may be a consideration down the road....

Lay it on me.
  • Old 09-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #2

Mwb712 is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Engine: MCM 4.3 Litre LX

Send Mwb712:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Just bought my first boat! 1995 182 Barchetta

Quote:
    Originally Posted by loganx80 View Post
    I am brand new to boat ownership. We purchased a jet ski earlier this year and our family really enjoyed it, but there are 5 of us, so it was a lot of hanging out at the marina and making switch offs. Also, we could only pull one person on a tube at a time. We decided that now that we were "lake people", we really needed a boat instead. Jumped on Facebook and found a 1995 Barchetta in our price range and started reading good things about these boats online. Met the prior owner at the lake and took a few laps and he gave me a crash course in how to drive the thing.

What do I need to know and any advice for a new boat owner? I live in Kansas so I'm only on lakes. Any upgrades I should look into. I started reading about the Smart Tabs and the boat does take a bit to get up on a plane, so that may be a consideration down the road....

Lay it on me.

Mine takes a bit too and since we both live Kansas, remember to winterize your boat when it starts getting cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Old 09-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

Send loganx80:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mwb712 View Post
    Mine takes a bit too and since we both live Kansas, remember to winterize your boat when it starts getting cold.

Thanks for the response. That is something that is new to me as well (everything is new to me). I know that you need to winterize, but don't exactly know how. Is there a good guide somewhere or can someone provide me with the steps, or should I have it done professionally?

Which boat do you have?
    Old 09-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

Mwb712 is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Engine: MCM 4.3 Litre LX

Send Mwb712:
    a Private Message

I have a 1994 Mariah 182 Barchetta with a 3.6 V-6 Alpha One inboard/outboard. Go to U Tube and search How to Winterize my boat. Plus, depending on how much you go out on the water, you’ll need to change the Lower Unit Lube (get the lube kit, makes it easier.) Make sure you get Automotive Oil Rags, you’ll need about eight of them for the oil change, unless you have the pullout drain plug. Make sure you change the Water/Fuel Separator Filter and Oil Filter. Oil is 25W-50 Marine Oil and make sure to Grease Trailer Bearings every other time you put them in water.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

Send loganx80:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mwb712 View Post
    I have a 1994 Mariah 182 Barchetta with a 3.6 V-6 Alpha One inboard/outboard. Go to U Tube and search How to Winterize my boat. Plus, depending on how much you go out on the water, you’ll need to change the Lower Unit Lube (get the lube kit, makes it easier.) Make sure you get Automotive Oil Rags, you’ll need about eight of them for the oil change, unless you have the pullout drain plug. Make sure you change the Water/Fuel Separator Filter and Oil Filter. Oil is 25W-50 Marine Oil and make sure to Grease Trailer Bearings every other time you put them in water.

I watched some videos. Just to clarify, you need to take at least these steps:
    - Fuel Stabilizer
    - Evacuate Water/Run Antifreeze through
    - Change Oil Filter/Oil on engine
    - Change Lower Unit oil
    - Change Water/Fuel Seperator Filter

Does that pretty much cover it?

Wish I had a document that just listed everything recommended.