The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Just bought my first boat! 1995 182 Barchetta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/12551-just-bought-my-first-boat-1995-182-barchetta.html)

loganx80 09-16-2019 03:13 PM

Just bought my first boat! 1995 182 Barchetta

I am brand new to boat ownership. We purchased a jet ski earlier this year and our family really enjoyed it, but there are 5 of us, so it was a lot of hanging out at the marina and making switch offs. Also, we could only pull one person on a tube at a time. We decided that now that we were "lake people", we really needed a boat instead. Jumped on Facebook and found a 1995 Barchetta in our price range and started reading good things about these boats online. Met the prior owner at the lake and took a few laps and he gave me a crash course in how to drive the thing.

What do I need to know and any advice for a new boat owner? I live in Kansas so I'm only on lakes. Any upgrades I should look into. I started reading about the Smart Tabs and the boat does take a bit to get up on a plane, so that may be a consideration down the road....

Lay it on me.

Mwb712 09-19-2019 12:37 PM

Re: Just bought my first boat! 1995 182 Barchetta

Quote:

Originally Posted by loganx80 (Post 66292)
I am brand new to boat ownership. We purchased a jet ski earlier this year and our family really enjoyed it, but there are 5 of us, so it was a lot of hanging out at the marina and making switch offs. Also, we could only pull one person on a tube at a time. We decided that now that we were "lake people", we really needed a boat instead. Jumped on Facebook and found a 1995 Barchetta in our price range and started reading good things about these boats online. Met the prior owner at the lake and took a few laps and he gave me a crash course in how to drive the thing.

What do I need to know and any advice for a new boat owner? I live in Kansas so I'm only on lakes. Any upgrades I should look into. I started reading about the Smart Tabs and the boat does take a bit to get up on a plane, so that may be a consideration down the road....

Lay it on me.

Mine takes a bit too and since we both live Kansas, remember to winterize your boat when it starts getting cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loganx80 09-19-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwb712 (Post 66300)
Mine takes a bit too and since we both live Kansas, remember to winterize your boat when it starts getting cold.

Thanks for the response. That is something that is new to me as well (everything is new to me). I know that you need to winterize, but don't exactly know how. Is there a good guide somewhere or can someone provide me with the steps, or should I have it done professionally?

Which boat do you have?

Mwb712 09-19-2019 01:29 PM

I have a 1994 Mariah 182 Barchetta with a 3.6 V-6 Alpha One inboard/outboard. Go to U Tube and search How to Winterize my boat. Plus, depending on how much you go out on the water, you’ll need to change the Lower Unit Lube (get the lube kit, makes it easier.) Make sure you get Automotive Oil Rags, you’ll need about eight of them for the oil change, unless you have the pullout drain plug. Make sure you change the Water/Fuel Separator Filter and Oil Filter. Oil is 25W-50 Marine Oil and make sure to Grease Trailer Bearings every other time you put them in water.

loganx80 09-19-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwb712 (Post 66303)
I have a 1994 Mariah 182 Barchetta with a 3.6 V-6 Alpha One inboard/outboard. Go to U Tube and search How to Winterize my boat. Plus, depending on how much you go out on the water, you’ll need to change the Lower Unit Lube (get the lube kit, makes it easier.) Make sure you get Automotive Oil Rags, you’ll need about eight of them for the oil change, unless you have the pullout drain plug. Make sure you change the Water/Fuel Separator Filter and Oil Filter. Oil is 25W-50 Marine Oil and make sure to Grease Trailer Bearings every other time you put them in water.

I watched some videos. Just to clarify, you need to take at least these steps:
- Fuel Stabilizer
- Evacuate Water/Run Antifreeze through
- Change Oil Filter/Oil on engine
- Change Lower Unit oil
- Change Water/Fuel Seperator Filter

Does that pretty much cover it?

Wish I had a document that just listed everything recommended.