Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New to Mariah Questions to ask

Introductions

Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
tmv Thread Starter

tmv is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send tmv:
a Private Message

Default New to Mariah Questions to ask

Hi

I have been following threads for information and watching for Mariah’s that are for sale! There are so many choices and options but I feel that I have narrowed it down, but open to suggestions.

I have found a few 1995-1996 open bow Z202's for sale 350 v-8 bravo 1 with a diverse number of options. Is there anything to look for or questions to ask specific to that year and model? Very few local so would need to tow a fair distance (over 1000 miles?) What is the approximate weight including trailer for that year and model? Maintenance issues, etc?

I would like to thank you in advance for any information that will help me make an informed decision and help me become a member with a boat!

Thanks again

Tom
  • Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #2

bdbyrnes is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Talari z240
    My Engine: 7.4L V8 - Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 41

Send bdbyrnes:
    a Private Message

Tom-

Welcome to the forum, you will find there are many educated and appreciative owners of Mariah's to provide plenty of insight.

I have a '95 z240 with a Bravo III powered by the 7.4L Merc. It's an awesome boat and there are a few things that really stand out for me:

* We have four kids so having the open bow, swimdeck, nice ladder and sundeck are great features.

* The 240 has a little extra space so I have a storage locker on each side. On one side I have electronics (3 amplifiers) and the other is for all of our gear.

Since I have had the boat for seven years I'm sure I take much for granted but here is a short list of all the great features: power seat, adjustable steering wheel, anchor locker, built-in coolers, ski storage locker, lockers for buoys, two built-in holders for table pedestals - one in bow, one in front of rear seat.

All the little things make the Mariah of those model years nice; such as the gas lifts for the engine cover, six drinkholders, labeled wiring for all wires - speakers, lights, everything.

I would look for a z Series if some of those features are important and spare no distance. Another good suggestion is to check out our gallery pages. Perhaps you can even talk Moondance into a ride; he lives not too far from you.
    Corsa Performance Captains Call Exhaust
    Samson Sports Tower
    Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

The Z202 is about 2800 lbs dry so i would guess you would be around 3700lbs or so loaded. The Z series boats are very nice with lots of extra options. I dont think there is anything specific to look at simply for that year / model but simply check out the general things (cleanliness, regular maintenance, recent work or even repairs history, all electrical items & gauges work, trim/tilt work properly etc) and i would want to water test it if possible and i would suggest having a survey done on it if you are serious about buying.
    There's a few others here with that model so hopefully they will chime in with their thoughts.
    Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 AM   #4

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

I think the dry weight + motor will be in the ballpark of 3600 lbs for the V8/Bravo so probably upwards to 5k with the trailer. I pull mine with a Grand Cherokee and it travels well behind it. I wouldn't hesitate to pull it 1000 miles, just wouldn't be happy with the mpg on the Jeep.

I'd definately see to a bearing service on the trailer before going that far.

These are fabulous boats. With the V8 I can effortlessly pull skiers/tubes with 6 people in the boat.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
    tmv Thread Starter

tmv is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send tmv:
    a Private Message

I would like to thank you for such a quick response! From what I have read in my past research, I feel as with any reationship, that it will depend upon the specific boat and how her owner(s) treated her.

I look forward to hearing more about all the types of Mariahs and the experiences that you all have had and hope to contribute stories and knowledge through actual ownership in the very near future.

I will keep everyone posted as I come closer to that perfect match. Also thanks for the information as to weight, I want to make sure that I have the right equipment if I need to make a long distance tow!

Tom
    Old 05-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #6

aquaknot is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: z222 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4l EFI-Bravo 1
    Gallery Images: 5

Send aquaknot:
    a Private Message

it's worth the drive. I travelled from Toronto,Canada to Mattituck (south of Jersey) to purchase mine. I searched everywhere and finally found my Z222 at Strongs Marina. So I purchased a trailer and went on a road trip. Great purchase. Great vessel...............good luck with finding yours
    1995 pontoon 18 ft, 50hp mercruiser
    198? aluminum 14ft, 6.6hp fisherman