The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Carpet attachment (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/8504-carpet-attachment.html)

Lucky14 07-17-2013 03:36 AM

Carpet attachment

Just off hand does anyone know if the original carpet is glued down or just stretched and secured in certain places? AND is there textured fiberglass underneath much like in the front section of the bow?

I have a 2004 SX19

ShabahZ280 07-17-2013 01:17 PM

Re: Carpet attachment

I'd venture a guess that it's glued down. That'd be the most secure way to do it. Now how much glue Sea Fox Mariah used, that I'm not sure of.

Also I would assume there'd be non-skid underneath in the walking areas, but there's really only one way to find out, and that's by pulling it up.

Lucky14 07-18-2013 01:21 AM

I was afraid of that answer... it doesn't look like its a common "delete" modification. The boat was so nice I bought it with carpet.. which I find ridiculous... retains moisture. I think this off season I will inspect an area under the seat mounts by taking the seat off the deck and pulling up the carpet a bit... plan B is to go Hydro Turf.

ShabahZ280 07-18-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky14 (Post 46882)
The boat was so nice I bought it with carpet.. which I find ridiculous... retains moisture.

I really wouldn't be worrying about retaining moisture. True marine carpet won't hold moisture for long. I'm not sure what Sea Fox Mariah is using but the Corinthian carpet that Mariah Boats Inc. used would stay damp for a little while, but would dry usually within 30 minutes.

Take my word here... As someone who's owned two boats with bare non-skid floors, carpet is what you want, unless you're planning to gut fish onboard. Non-skid gets hot, uncomfortable, it's incredibly hard to keep clean, and eventually the tips of the non-skid begin to break. I put carpet in my Z250, and I'll have carpet in the Z280 by next year.

But, hydro-turf is a decent alternative if you wanted to go that route.

Lucky14 07-18-2013 09:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I think a good cleaning with a bisel steamer might bring mine back to life. The carpet is not torn except on the starboard gunwale. I have a remenannt/snap down center section of carpet I can patch in. My boat doesn't have snaps in the center to cover the ski hatch so I have no idea why I have it in the boat.

I noticed that the bare anti-skid in my friend's 25' maxim does show the dirt very quickly he is constantly fresh water hosing it off when we are on the lake.

phillycincykid 07-19-2013 12:29 AM

ooohhhh mine was glued down. they didnt go cheap on it either...the carpet and the glue was holding my floor together before it was removed.

Andy b 07-19-2013 06:27 PM

structural carpet! wow you really do get everything with a Mariah!

mikeyt 07-19-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillycincykid (Post 46946)
ooohhhh mine was glued down. they didnt go cheap on it either...the carpet and the glue was holding my floor together before it was removed.

Your boat was the first year of production...they were still learnin' :rolling_laugh:

rainman55343 07-19-2013 10:37 PM

Actually mikey mine was first year of production. Mine is a 2003 sx 19

Andy b 07-19-2013 10:43 PM

I can't speak for over there, but here in the UK 1990 was before 2003 ;)