The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Replacement carpet? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/528-replacement-carpet.html)

S.L.P. 12-01-2007 12:17 PM

Replacement carpet?

Has anyone replaced the carpets in the boat. I would like to replace mine, but having a difficult time finding a local supplier. there are several on-line suppliers, but I would really like to see the product first. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm curious where the originals were made.
steve

mikeyt 12-02-2007 12:30 AM

That job is on my project list for next year too. We have a number of marine carpet suppliers up here that can provide what i need but i haffa admit i haven't looked too closely into what is out there. I have no idea where Mariah sourced their original carpet but i suspect whatever is available now is likely superior to what was available back in the '90's. Maybe our admin guys know a little more about it?

S.L.P. 12-02-2007 01:01 AM

Mikeyt,
My carpets are not that bad, but, the black bottom facing has deteriorated. The non-skid surface on the floor has abraded the backing in the high traffic areas. It is time to look for replacements. The on-line suppliers are not inexpensive. You don't mind paying a premium for a high quality carpet. I have taken to carry the small carpet from the galley, stopping at carpet dealers. No takers, yet. Even the local canvas shops havent come thru with any good suggestion.
When I find a good source I will let all know.

steve

ShabahZ280 12-02-2007 02:16 PM

I believe, like everything else with Mariah, it was made in-house. I agree with mikeyt that the carpet made nowadays is probably far more superior. I am planning on adding carpet to mine this year if the budget allows. I had my canvas guy give me some more information. He left me a sample, which I'll grab next time I'm at the boat so I can post the info. It's a thicker Berber style, and it's the same carpet they use in Fountain boats, which is rated to stay down *without* snaps up to 70mph. It's thicker, and the backing seems much more sturdy than everything else I've seen. I'll post the info soon!

bill.deweese 01-13-2008 02:53 AM

SLP,

I just re-deck'ed my 96' Shabah last summer after having the stringers reglassed and doubling up the bulkheads before and aft the fuel compartment. I retired friend did the glass work and I completed the deck.

I spent a lot of time researching the area of carpet (probably too much time). I live in a huge boating community (Tampa Bay) and just assumed that picking up marine carpet would be easy. Not so much. After much web research and finding out that even the biggie-sized West Marine did not stock anything, I ordered the carpet from (of all places) Lowes. In the back where the stock indoor-outdoor carpet is sold from the huge rolls they had a pack of 4"x 6" Marine Carpet samples that were just hanging from a small chain.

I could touch and feel the carpet and compare the color to my existing side carpet areas where I was not quite ready to replace. It was an excellent quality, nice pile, and a super durable rubber backing. There was a minimum order (almost twice what I needed for the floor) however the cost was the best by linear foot and now I have enough to go back and do the sides and engine compartment when I want. It took about a week through their special order desk as the carpet came from an non-Lowes supplier in Georgia.

The carpet layed in nicely when the job was done. When you do this make sure you have some acetone or other solvent handy to quickly deal with the inevitable glue slop.

Hope this help.

Thanks,

Bill

WetWilly 01-13-2008 06:21 AM

Hi Bill,

May I ask how UV resistant is your new carpet and can it be gluded down?

Thanks,
WetWilly

bill.deweese 01-13-2008 01:32 PM

WetWilly,

Sure. It was rated as UV resistant and was mold/mildew resistant as well. I used a "Roberts 6700 Premium Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive" and bought the trowel recommended by the adhesive. Now to be sure, I was adhering this to the raw deck of my boat - meaning this is the marine plywood of the deck surface with a layer of glass and resin - and the adhesive worked very well with that and the underneath side of the carpet. The bow area of my Shabah has a factory dimpled (anti-slip) formed deck that originally had a snap-down carpet. I do not know what the recommended adhesive for that surface would be. I would like to replace that snap-down piece as well (using snaps, not adhesive), however my original is logo monogrammed and I have not figured out how to replicate that.

Thanks,

Bill DeWeese

S.L.P. 01-13-2008 03:45 PM

replacement carpet

I have recently been in contact with "Custom Marine Carpet", they are online. They are sending me some swatches of available carpets samples. The boat carpets are currently 'relaxing' indoors so a template can be made and shipped to CMC. They have several weights of material in a cut pile or a berber. All are bound with a sunbrella material. Will update soon.
steve

Paul F 01-21-2008 06:50 PM

I have the swivel captain's chairs. Just wondering, if they can be removed to replace the carpeting without the bolts falling into the bilge?

WetWilly 01-21-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 3342)
I have the swivel captain's chairs. Just wondering, if they can be removed to replace the carpeting without the bolts falling into the bilge?

Hi Paul F,

As you can see from this picture of the mounting system that ShabahZ250 put up on another thread, it looks like the pedestal bolts go into the plate and there appears to be no nuts used so I would assume the plate is tapped with threads for the bolts. Also, the plate appears to be mounted under the floor by its own screws so neither plate or nuts should fall into the bilge.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...eatbracket.jpg

Here is what I suggested to another member sometime ago when we were not sure it the plate would fall......

"As for finding out is they are truly attached to the bottom of the deck, remove all but one bolt, swing the pedestal base enough to expost a bolt hole opposite of the remaining bolt, reinsert another bolt and tighten only half way. Now loosen the remaining tight bolt halfway as well and see if the plate tries to drop. If it does, you've got two bolts holding it from dropping completely into the bilge."

Good luck,
WetWilly