The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Vortec engine???? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11761-vortec-engine.html)

Reaper22 08-30-2017 12:25 PM

Vortec engine????

I got my new engine installed and dealer said they ordered a vortec engine because that was what came out, It was a long block so they used my intake and exhaust, My question is the boat is a 95 Z212 with a 350 magnum, The valve covers bolt thru the center but the intake has 12 bolts and I was checking around and vortecs use an 8 bolt manifold, I am confused, So is it possible for this engine to be a vortec? Thanks...

Hudson River Steve 08-30-2017 12:43 PM

Re: Vortec engine????

Check the casting numbers on the heads. You can Google the number and determine if they are Vortec heads.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Scottie1961 08-30-2017 02:08 PM

I agree with Steve, you need to check the casting numbers but pre Vortec intakes won't work with Vortec heads. Make sure you're not paying for something you didn't get.

Reaper22 08-30-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 63819)
Check the casting numbers on the heads. You can Google the number and determine if they are Vortec heads.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks man, Is that number under the valve cover or on the end because it is all ready installed and from what I read vortec heads only take and 8 bolt manifold and mine are 12 bolt...

Hudson River Steve 08-30-2017 05:54 PM

Yes the casting number is under the valve cover. You must remove them to view the number. You are also correct in that the Vortec heads have only 8 intake manifold bolts. These bolts also go straight up and down rather than on an angle. If it is a Vortec head the probable casting number is 10239906.

Reaper22 08-30-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 63831)
Yes the casting number is under the valve cover. You must remove them to view the number. You are also correct in that the Vortec heads have only 8 intake manifold bolts. These bolts also go straight up and down rather than on an angle. If it is a Vortec head the probable casting number is 10239906.

Thanks man, I also called the engine builder and they told me it was not a vortec, True vortecs did not come out until 96 but it does have roller cam and roller lifters and this engine has plenty of power for my boat and they are built well and will last long time, This company has been in business for 40 years and they do give a 2 year warranty... Advance Marine engines
Advanced Marine Engine - Boat Motors - Crate Engines - New & Remanufactured

Brian Belcher 09-04-2017 03:09 AM

"Vortec" was used on engines before the actual, new generation "VORTEC", fuel injected engines came out in 96. My sons 95 motor home has a Vortec 454.BUT, it's not the LS style one. It has a roller cam and all but it does not have the cathedral intake ports. I wonder if that's the same deal with the 350?