The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Sending unit for fuel gauge (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/6128-sending-unit-fuel-gauge.html)

jchemotti 09-04-2011 02:57 PM

Sending unit for fuel gauge

Hi,
Think I posted a while ago about our "jittery" fuel gauge. So when I was at the marina yesterday I spoke to the mechanic, and he theorized that we have a bad sending unit. He also told me that basically the floor of the boat , the motor, etc. has to be removed to replace the sending unit?
This seems like a crazy design ...

So my questions are:
1. Can I try anything else prior to this major repair?
2. Seriously, does the boat have to be dismantled in this way for this repair? Seems like its going to cost major bucks...

I know people just live with this, but it's annoying to not know how much gas I have...

edward cossey 09-04-2011 07:43 PM

Re: Sending unit for fuel gauge

Hi jchemotti

Ihave a 252Z Shabbah and the gas tank is under the deck with a cover screwed down and is not a problem to remove, once it removed the sender unit can be seen on the top of the tank,and easily removed. i cannot see any reason to remove the motor. unless your gas tank is at the rear of the boat.
good luck with it

:wink_thumbup Ed Cossey

mikeyt 09-06-2011 12:47 AM

With my 180 simply removing the engine cover allows access to the screwed down section covering the sending unit. Sometimes its simply a bit of corrosion at the connections, sometimes its a faulty unit and then sometimes you might have to consider following Randy Jobe's method of fixing the 'jitteries'. :)

jchemotti 09-10-2011 03:11 AM

Does anyone have a photo/description/drawing of the sending unit so when I remove the engine cover as Mikey stated, I can recognize it ??

mikeyt 09-10-2011 02:17 PM

There will only be one thing there with wires & terminals. That will be the sending unit.

Hudson River Steve 09-12-2011 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fuel sender is usually a round flange bolted/screwed to the top of the fuel tank. It has two wires attached to it. The center stud is the fuel sender (variable resistor) and the other connection is ground. Here is a picture of what a typical sender looks like, the only thing you see from the outside of the tank is the round flange.

jchemotti 09-25-2011 11:07 PM

Thanks for the information and pic, guys. Great help!

Cobiej09 05-09-2021 04:52 AM

What’s the part number

Hudson River Steve 05-09-2021 11:46 AM

There are different part numbers for different size tanks. The manufacturer name and part number are usually stamped on the mounting flange of the sending unit. You will have to look at yours to determine the part number.