Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Wakeboarding Questions

Watersports

Old 06-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #1

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1999
My Model: Z280 MCC
My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
a Private Message

Default Wakeboarding Questions

So, my girlfriend has been getting more and more interested in wakeboarding. I've been considering buying one, and I've got a few questions.

1. Is my boat too big and heavy for wakeboarding? I see many smaller models loaded up with towers, aside from MariahMan's, I really haven't seen many large boats used for this.

2. Can I use the standard ski tow, or am I sort of married into putting a tower on?

3. Anybody care to educate me on wakeboarding from the driver's perspective? ie How to drive for optimum enjoyment for the boarder?
-Formerly known as ShabahZ250
-USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
  • Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #2

dwmax is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Shabah 212 Limited
    My Engine: 350 mag with alpha one
    Gallery Images: 17

Send dwmax:
    a Private Message

I have to say that it is a very fun sport. The boat that you have is not to big for wakeboarding the pros use a 21 to 25 foot boat and you can wakeboard from the back of the boat it just pulls you through the water more instead of up and out of the water like a wakeboard tower would. But you are not commited to buying a wakeboard tower, I would suggest buying a wakeboard and try it from the back of your boat and see if you really like the sport and as you proggress into the sport you will probably want a wakeboaed tower to do more jumps and tricks. the only thing that might be bad about your boat is it will probably use alot more gas because as a begginer there will be alot of stopping and going. from a drivers standpoint the proper speed for pulling is between 20 and 25 mph that is what I like to be pulled at but mostely about 24mph there is alot more i can explain let me know if this helps or be a little more precise about what you are looking for.Good luck
    Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #3

supastipa is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1997 Jubilee Z244 7.4 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 4

Send supastipa:
    a Private Message

Your boat is the perfect size for wakeboarding, our is a 24' with the same engine and a bravo III....it throws a perfect wake for wakeboarding. We started without a tower but progressed to the point that we had to have one, once you board with a tower you can't imagine not using one. As for speed, etc. We have landed on a speed of about 18-22 mph with the trim up about a quarter. You need to play with your particular setup to find the biggest wake with a smooth cap....also helps to hit the lake with a full tank of gas and a lot of friends, the extra weight helps with the wake. You can rent a board to give it a try, once you are hooked, don't waste your money on cheap bindings, trust me. Oh and buy a wakeboard rope too. have fun

Last edited by supastipa; 07-02-2008 at 12:04 AM.
    Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #4

azboatman is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1999 Shabah 182, Mercruiser 4.3L, Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 3

Send azboatman:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 View Post
    So, my girlfriend has been getting more and more interested in wakeboarding. I've been considering buying one, and I've got a few questions.

1. Is my boat too big and heavy for wakeboarding? I see many smaller models loaded up with towers, aside from MariahMan's, I really haven't seen many large boats used for this.

2. Can I use the standard ski tow, or am I sort of married into putting a tower on?

3. Anybody care to educate me on wakeboarding from the driver's perspective? ie How to drive for optimum enjoyment for the boarder?
    I have to agree with DWmax. Try out the sport, then progress to a tower. I have an 99 18' 4.3L Shabah and I did purchase a wakeboard tower. I ABSOLUTELY love it and have no regrets. Getting pulled from the back is really a DRAG (Literally). The tower pulls me up and out of the water easily. If you do go further into the sport there are many towers available. I purchased the H20 from Big Air Pylons, which happens to be the most reasonable, heavy duty and pretty nice looking. Here is the website if interested - http://www.bigairpylons.com/

Good Luck.