Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Changing Volvo 290 DP lower unit lube

Volvo Penta

Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #1

c6timmons is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1993
My Model: 240 Z
My Engine: Volvo 572 w/290 DP
Gallery Images: 0

Send c6timmons:
a Private Message

Default Changing Volvo 290 DP lower unit lube

I purchased a 1993 240Z with a Volvo 290 DP last year. I ran the boat about 55 hours in 2009. Lower unit lube was checked at time of winterizing and was free from water but seemed rather used (dark and smelly). I have run the boat 5 hours this season before changing the lower unit lube. I changed the lower unit lube yesterday. I used Volvo GL5 80/90 weight lower unit lube as specified in my operators manual. The Volvo product has the appearance of motor oil. I took the boat for a test drive and returned home. While cleaning the boat I noticed lower unit lube leaking from around the prop shaft housing and down the skag. I removed the bottom plug to get a better look and the lube seemed almost milky "lima bean" green in color. Does this mean I am now getting water into the lower unit? Is there a prop shaft seal that needs replaced? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by c6timmons; 06-06-2010 at 01:28 PM.
  • Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #2

c6timmons is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: 240 Z
    My Engine: Volvo 572 w/290 DP
    Gallery Images: 0

Send c6timmons:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Changing Volvo 290 DP lower unit lube

I thought I would update my post based on what I have done so far. I drained the fresh Volvo lower unit lube and there did not appear to be any water mixed in with the gear lube. Again the color of the lube seemed to be a little off. I did not have access to Volvo lube on a Sunday so I purchased Mobil 1 Synthetic 75-90W lube. I refilled the lower unit and started the engine with the water muff on the lower unit in the drive way and ran the engine in gear for a couple of minutes. There was a slight leak of lube down the skag coming from between the anode and the prop shaft housing after running. The fluid level was full. I took the boat out on Sunday afternoon and everything was running fine. There is no evidence of any leaking fluid at this point. There is no evidence of any water in the fluid and the fluid level still reads full. I will keep an eye on it, but everything seems ok at this point. Thanks!