The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   Excessive Trailer tire wear (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/7071-excessive-trailer-tire-wear.html)

brit441 06-29-2012 11:32 PM

Excessive Trailer tire wear

We tow our Z276MCC on a Chariot Triple axle trailer that has a serious appetite for front tires.
We are getting only about 1,200 to 1,500 miles per set. We carefully monitor the pressure and rotate about once a year. I am currently running ST 215 75R14 radial load range C trailer tires.
What kind of average wear should I expect from a triple axle trailer tire?
Also, Due to the bumper height of my tow vehicle, I use an 8 inch dropped hitch to keep the trailer somewhat level. Could I be causing the front tire wear by using this dropped hitch? Maybe raising the hitch height slightly will reduce the load on the front tires.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Best Regards, Rick
brit441

ColoradoDiablo 06-30-2012 12:23 AM

Re: Excessive Trailer tire wear

Are they wearing on the inside or outside of the tire?
Larry

brit441 06-30-2012 12:37 AM

On the front two tiress, wear is on the inside...by a substantial margin. On the rest of the tires wear is even but excessive in my opinion.

ColoradoDiablo 06-30-2012 12:41 AM

Bent axle tube sounds like. Pull a string line from hub to hub and measure from string to axle tube. I bet in the middle you got a larger gap than at the hubs.

Larry

ColoradoDiablo 06-30-2012 12:42 AM

Also sounds like you might want to go to a D range tire. :)

Larry

brit441 06-30-2012 01:17 AM

Larry:
Great idea!
I'll go out and pull a string from hub to hub and let you know.
Seems like I tried to go to a D range tire a few years ago, I think 14" D range trailer tires were hard to find. I may have to go to 15 inch rims and tires , after I sort out the axle issue.
Thanks for the help!
Rick

ColoradoDiablo 06-30-2012 02:28 AM

I can't believe that they put 14" wheels on a triple anyway. Your boat weighs in at around 7500 lbs depending on options and loaded or not. Add another 1500-2000 lbs at least for the trailer and that's a lot for a 14" C tire to handle.
Is that trailer the one that came with your 276?

Larry

brit441 06-30-2012 03:58 AM

Larry:
Checked axle with a string line and found no significant bend.
Also checked front axle from a fixed point @ front of trailer. Found about 1/2" difference to each backer plate. Not sure this would cause the tire wear I have been experiencing.
The trailer was manufactured by Mariah for this boat. I agree with your assesment regarding tire size and load capacity. Current tires are good for11,100 lbs. The boat came with 4k genset and as you said, with the trailer,120gal fuel, water and god knows how much beer... I am pushing the limits of the tires.
So instead of a new stereo this year it looks like new tires and rims.
Larry, thanks for taking the time to help me through this, I will keep you posted as I progress.
Best Regards,
Rick

ColoradoDiablo 06-30-2012 04:34 AM

Can you measure from a known point in the front to the axle tube on each side? Maybe the axle has shifted front to back. This usually happens from loose u bolts or a broken center pin in the leaf pack.

Larry

brit441 06-30-2012 05:43 AM

Larry:
Measured from a fixed point @ the hitch back to both spindles. Found front axle racked about 1/2 inch back on the right side. I am not sure this would cause tire wear, but I am going to confirm axle location tomorrow and loosen u-bolts and try to move it bit closer to square.
Also noticed that carlisle tires are wearing much faster than Westlake tires.
Rick