The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   First Real Tow (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/422-first-real-tow.html)

ShabahZ280 10-09-2007 02:08 AM

First Real Tow

2 Attachment(s)
Towed with my 01 Ford Excursion v10 for the first time this past weekend. With deep gearing, and v10 grunt, I towed my Z250 to Sandusky, Ohio for our weekend trip. It was pretty much a flat drive, and it felt extremely stable with minimal sway. Before the trip I added a Hellwig Anti-Sway bar, since for some reason, the Excursion didn't come equipped with one! The Wal-Mart $99 wireless backup camera made hooking up the trailer a cinch.

Fuel economy wasn't terrible, but remained in the low double digits.

Here's some pics! Kinda sexy package, if you ask me :yes_grin:

dudders 10-09-2007 08:11 AM

You guys make me sick with your flash cars, flash boats, cheap fuel, cheap reverse cameras, blah blah blah.........................................
jealous ? me? noooooooooo :yes_grin:

Z 202 10-09-2007 02:01 PM

Looks good. :wink_thumbup:

I see the Timmies are popping up down there now. Up here they're about as abundant as gas stations. :)

indykoch 10-09-2007 03:43 PM

Awesome set-up Chris! Looks great!

Dudders - don't worry. You'll be making most of us jealous over the next 5-6 months while we're in "winter mode". Just send Chris 10+ pictures a day, every day, for 6 months. I heard he likes beer and women, so make sure you get that covered in most pics :)

ShabahZ280 10-09-2007 05:08 PM

Beer & Women, who me? :rolling_laugh:

Dudders, we're counting on you to keep this board going in winter. We'll ALL be jealous of you!

Z275 10-09-2007 07:23 PM

What kind of gas mileage did you get towing? I need to find something new this winter. I've been towing the Z275 with a LX470 the past month or so. Just short distances. It actually does very well and has absolutely no sway with the tri-axle trailer, but we like to go down to the lakes in KY and TN and going up steep long inclines is going to be a different story with over 7500lbs + people + gear + dogs.

ShabahZ280 10-09-2007 08:24 PM

10mpg towing. I made it up to Sandusky on around 3/4 tank of gas. It's exactly 200 miles from Cincinnati, and it's the most flat tow I've ever done. With the v10, the only time you really notice the boat's back there is accelerating from stops. I had originally considered a Powerstroke Diesel for the tow vehicle, but I probably only tow about 4-6 times per season. The +$5k price difference on a used diesel vs gasser didn't have me convinced, as I figured $5k sure buys a lot of gas! Plus the diesels were only getting about 3MPG better, and the cost of diesel, all that, just felt the gasser was the better choice. It's not a daily driver, so it can

Whatever you choose to do, definitely go 3/4 ton suspension, if you can. Look at 250/2500's and above. Heavier duty springs, shocks, and suspension components. Little bit rougher ride, but much more stable on the road when towing.

FWIW, I picked up my 01 Excursion V10, 70k miles for $11k earlier this summer. They were practically giving 'em away. Plus when I bought it, there was a set of Chrome 22" rims on it. If I could ever unload them, I'd be making out pretty well on the deal!

dudders 10-10-2007 05:31 AM

Oh yeah right, here you go again................. $11000 for a vehicle that would cost me at least $60,000 here in Australia IF we could get one :mad:
And you get 22inch boots to go with it :shakehead:
I didnt know they made wheels that bloody big :D

I will easily be able to post some pics of beer, but bronzed goddess's in bikinis on my boat could be a little difficult............... I will see what I can do, just wont tell the wife :p

MariahMan 10-12-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudders (Post 1990)
I will easily be able to post some pics of beer, but bronzed goddess's in bikinis on my boat could be a little difficult............... I will see what I can do, just wont tell the wife :p

We're counting on you Tony! We have faith in you!