The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   Master cylinder on surge brake Repair/Replace? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/1671-master-cylinder-surge-brake-repair-replace.html)

Z 202 09-03-2008 03:28 PM

Master cylinder on surge brake Repair/Replace?

I have a Dico (Titan) model 60 surge brake controller on my trailer, and it's not working. I've looked at replacements, but I was wondering if anyone has overhauled one of these. I've never done an overhaul on a master cylinder, but I'm no stranger to wrenching, and I have the tools. Just wondering if a full on replacement of the whole unit is the best plan, or whether or not I can rebuild the one I have.

Anyone with experience willing to share their thoughts?

lomitabob 09-03-2008 05:01 PM

I found replacement parts online including master cylinder rebuild kits and new master cylinders all reasonably priced by using Google "dico titan model 60". The choice to use a kit or replace is the amount of pitting inside the master bore and if you have the right size hone to clean the old master. Good Luck!:)

Cj7 09-04-2008 12:24 AM

Z 202, as lomitabob said you can get replacement parts for you surge. If you have any troubles getting parts or need part numbers let me know. I own a trailer shop here in Arizona. I can get you anything you need and throw in a 10% discount if your a Mariah Owners Club Member. Or direct you to somewhere close to where you live to get parts. Just PM me.

cj7 :wink_thumbup:

Z 202 09-06-2008 03:52 PM

Well, I found a complete coupler at a local shop for $116! Slapped that puppy on last night, bled the brakes and I'm good to go. Thanks for all the replies, but in the end, I couldn't pass up on the time savings of just replacing the whole thing.

If anyone in Southern Ontario is looking for a good price on the coupler or parts. Cerka Industries in Milton made my day!

ShabahZ280 09-07-2008 03:29 PM

Congrats Z202... I think that's the route I may have to do too, my coupler has started leaking brake fluid. I contacted Tie Down Engineering, who makes my coupler, and they suggested replacing the master cylinder, and won't cover it under warranty. I think it might actually be easier to replace the whole coupler instead of tearing the existing one apart to replace the MC. I figure I'll last the rest of the season on it, as I really won't be doing any serious towing.

Z202, did you replace with a Dico brand again, or another make? I was wondering if they were somewhat universal.

Cj7, I'll be in touch with you here in a few weeks! :)

Z 202 09-08-2008 01:18 PM

The replacement unit was a Titan, but it's identical to the Dico unit. The new one also has a lever lock on the coupler (to fit my 2" ball) whereas my old one had a "multi-fit" (rotating knob) lock, which was another reason I went with a full on replacement, as I prefer the lever lock.

I figured a new master cyl. + shock damper + my time to disassamble/reassemble the unit was equal or greater than complete replacement, so that's the route I went. As you are looking at doing it over the winter, you might consider the tear down re-build route. I had no brakes on the trailer, so I getting things operational again was my first priority.

I would have liked to take up Cj7 on his offer, but shipping + duty + courier fees to collect said duty would have put his prices above what I could get locally.

Cj7 09-09-2008 03:56 AM

Noproblem I,m glad to help! Glad you found the parts you needed!! Sounds like you got a great deal.

Cj7