Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Buying Advice

Sea Fox - Mariah Talk

Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Yves is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send Yves:
a Private Message

Default Buying Advice

Hello,

I'm about to buy a boat for the first time and coincidentally I discoverd Mariah boats, wich seem to offer a very good package. Now I have two options:

1. A 2007 Mariah SC 21 Cuddy Cabin with Mercruiser 4.3 Liter, 190 HP V6 engine
2. A 2008 Mariah SX22 with Mercruiser, 4.3 6cyl, 220 HP V6

I'm looking for a boat wich I can both use for daycruising and for some watersports (eg waterski,wakeboard). It should be a fun boat for the whole family.

Could you give me some recommendation or experiences you gained with one of the boats.
Or would you recommed another type of the Mariah series ? What are the most important things I have to take care while inspecting the boat (before buying)?

Thanks in advance for your help & best regards from Switzerland

Yves
  • Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Buying Advice

Welcome to the board Yves!

Engine-wise there isn't a significant price difference between the 2007 and the 2008 models, I'd pick the 2008 with the 220HP engine. It's the MPI fuel injected engine, so you won't have to worry about a carb being out of adjustment, or any of the issues that come with carb'd engines.

Now, if you're planning on using it primarily for watersports, you'll appreciate the extra room with the SX22. Your family will appreciate it as well too. Kids always love sitting up in the bow while you're underway! It'll be a good day boat for you, if that's all you need it for. If you plan to overnight or sleep on board with the family more than the watersports, then the SC21 will be a good choice.

Always buy the biggest boat with the biggest engine within your budget. "2-foot-itis" sets in real quickly, always wishing you had a bigger, faster boat... We've all got it.

As for recommendations with the Sea Fox Mariah line, I think both of those boats would be a good choice. They do make a deckboat (DB), which has much more space, but definitely has a "different look" to it. If you like the look, you may want to check it out, as it'll provide the most room.

If you're buying your first boat, I'd recommend having the boat surveyed by an independent surveyor. They recommend it for boats over 26ft here in the USA, but since it's your first boat, I'd have a professional take a look at it and let you know of any problem areas, and what his/her professional opinion is. Boating is a great time, but it gets spoiled quickly when problems turn up. A surveyor will let you know ahead of time what to expect. You will have to pay for it, which usually runs a few hundred dollars here, but it's worth the peace of mind knowing you didn't buy an awful boat. Other than that, definitely insist on a sea trial before buying, and run it for a while. Make sure all the gauges and everything are working properly.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out! Hopefully soon you'll become part of our big Mariah family!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Thank you ShabahZ280 for this useful post!
    Yves (10-06-2011)
    Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Yves is currently offline

Send Yves:
    a Private Message

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for your detaild answer and your helpful advices. The 220hp engine is the one I have already preferrd.
    Asking a surveyor is probably a good hint, too.

IŽll let you know how it turns out...

Best regards
    Yves
    Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #4

voodoo is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Davanti
    My Engine: 5.7

Send voodoo:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 View Post
    Welcome to the board Yves!

Engine-wise there isn't a significant price difference between the 2007 and the 2008 models, I'd pick the 2008 with the 220HP engine. It's the MPI fuel injected engine, so you won't have to worry about a carb being out of adjustment, or any of the issues that come with carb'd engines.

Now, if you're planning on using it primarily for watersports, you'll appreciate the extra room with the SX22. Your family will appreciate it as well too. Kids always love sitting up in the bow while you're underway! It'll be a good day boat for you, if that's all you need it for. If you plan to overnight or sleep on board with the family more than the watersports, then the SC21 will be a good choice.

Always buy the biggest boat with the biggest engine within your budget. "2-foot-itis" sets in real quickly, always wishing you had a bigger, faster boat... We've all got it.

As for recommendations with the Sea Fox Mariah line, I think both of those boats would be a good choice. They do make a deckboat (DB), which has much more space, but definitely has a "different look" to it. If you like the look, you may want to check it out, as it'll provide the most room.

If you're buying your first boat, I'd recommend having the boat surveyed by an independent surveyor. They recommend it for boats over 26ft here in the USA, but since it's your first boat, I'd have a professional take a look at it and let you know of any problem areas, and what his/her professional opinion is. Boating is a great time, but it gets spoiled quickly when problems turn up. A surveyor will let you know ahead of time what to expect. You will have to pay for it, which usually runs a few hundred dollars here, but it's worth the peace of mind knowing you didn't buy an awful boat. Other than that, definitely insist on a sea trial before buying, and run it for a while. Make sure all the gauges and everything are working properly.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out! Hopefully soon you'll become part of our big Mariah family!
    Good advice.
    You'll rarely regret having more power, or more size.
    One caveat.
    I have a 225 davanti, my friend has a 22 foot Crown Line cuddy.
    Both with 5.7 merc's, both nice capable boats.
    One major difference is the size of the cuddy.
    My hull biases the open space on deck, shrinking the cuddy. I haven't slept in it but there is not alot of space. That's ok 'cause I'm a tent sleeper and if I tour I pick spots I can set up on dry land, hide in the cuddy if I have to.
    It also has the engine in a compact hatch, allowing seats at each side of the motor.

The Crown Line has a big cuddy, shrinking the open space on deck.
    It also has a side to side engine bay, with seats in front.
    I had 9 adults in mine, I also had 4 adults and 5 kids and didn't feel "packed".
    6 in my buddy's boat and it's full, but his cuddy is way bigger..that extra two feet of cuddy means he'll sleep very comfortably compared to me.
    I guess it's what you are going to use it for.
    I drop her in, tour and ski, back on the trailer. I have yet to use the cuddy for anything but storage. The extra open space works well for me.
    If I was going to sleep on it alot I'd probably go with a bigger cabin.

Last edited by voodoo; 10-14-2011 at 11:04 PM.