Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

SX19 SmartTabs SX

Sea Fox - Mariah Talk

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #1

rktect29 is currently offline
My Year: 2008
My Model: SX19
My Engine: 4.3 MPI
Gallery Images: 0

Send rktect29:
a Private Message

Default SX19 SmartTabs SX

Okay, after several weeks of research I returned my Hydrofoil (never installed it - not recommended by Mercury so I wasn't about to put one on my lower unit) and purchased the SmartTabs SX from Nauticus. Here are my thoughts:

1. Special thanks to bakdraft for the PDf on the Smart Tabs!
2. Spoke with guy at Nauticus and he suggested the 60 series for my SX19 with 220hp V6, but I was concerned since they suggested the 80 on their site for 220 hp.
3. Easier to install than expected. Took me about 45 minutes and I took my time.
4. Look great on the boat! I'll take pics next time I get the boat out . . .
5. Had to install them closer to the prop as discussed before, but Nauticus said wouldn't be an issue at all and they were right. (just inside the swim platform bars and the indent in the hull)
6. Initially concerned with the flexibility and durability of the tabs and the plastic bolts.

Okay now to performance:
1. Planing: Boat planed almost instantly. Even my wife noticed a HUGE difference. Didn't matter if the kids were in the front or the back.
2. Performance - you could definitely feel the tabs doing their job. Boat tended to "skim" a tad bit more, in other words you could feel the boats movements more definitively and the handling was more "sporty".
3. Lake was choppy, but boat did wonderful! Didn't go top end (around 55ish), but at about 45 the ride was fantastic. Ride was much better.
4. Tubing: Instant take off and quick planing, no high nose and limited visibility. Makes my idea of changing props go out the window . . . have a 19 on right now.
5. Overall: Wow. Well worth the $119 investment! Very happy with the Tabs over the Hydrofoil (I was never keen on drilling holes in my motor)

I would HIGHLY recommend the SmartTabs SX to anyone looking to add them to their boat. I agree with a previous poster who suggested these be made standard. I was concerned with the 60 series being enough, but they are plenty. Performance was definitely better and the thing turned better in the choppy water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rktect29 For This Useful Post:
Blind32 (07-12-2011), mikeyt (07-12-2010)
  • Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: SX19 SmartTabs SX

I know that i have said this before but sounds like we have another happy Smart Tabs customer!

I'll just touch on some of your comments.

Hydrofoils are ugly and should never be installed on something as good looking as a Mariah.

#2: 60# vs 80# actuators. I went thru the same exercise with them a couple of yrs ago & initially installed the 80# arms since that's what their site recommended. I quickly ex-changed them for 60's & after some discussion with John at Nauticus we figured the 80# units were for 20'+ boats with a 5.0 or larger engine. I'm surprised they haven't altered their recommendation chart.

5: Yours are installed essentially where mine are. They work fine.

6: I did manage to break one pin & tab last year when i struck something while backing up. Nauticus sent me a new tab & 4 pins free of charge.
    Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

wplaine is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z215 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 15

Send wplaine:
    a Private Message

I agree with all the above!!!!
    Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #4

Yellow Jacket is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Engine: 4.3L MerCruiser

Send Yellow Jacket:
    a Private Message

I have an SX19 also and plan to install ST1290-60 Smart Tabs soon. May I ask about your prop? When I bought my boat used 6 weeks ago it came with a Solas Rubex 14.3x21 prop on it. Isn't a 19 pitch prop a better choice for overall performance, especially for acceleration? My engine is a 4.3L Mercruiser V6, 190hp. What prop do you have?

Thanks,
    Yellow Jacket
    Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Send rktect29:
    a Private Message

I have not personally verified it, but the previous owner said it was a 19 and the marina where he bought it said that was correct. It's the standard 19 pitch aluminum Mercury that comes on the Alpha 1. It is the stock prop since the boat had 8.5 hours when I bought it. I am getting a stainless 19 this weekend from a friend - it's free . . .

Just curious, why not the Smart Tabs SX? Have you spoke with John(?) at Nauticus? If not, let him make the suggestion. I will see my boat this weekend and I can shoot some pics of my installation if you want to see it. I personally think it's the only place they can go on the SX19 with the swim platform, at least for the Smart Tabs SX version.

I have not GPS'd the boat, but my speedometer bounces on the 55mph with the smart tabs. It did that without them too, but the hole shot is clearly quicker. The "55" mph is at about 4850 rpm +/-.
    Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #6

Yellow Jacket is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Engine: 4.3L MerCruiser

Send Yellow Jacket:
    a Private Message

Wow, rktect29! 55 mph at 4850 rpm! I could only hope the Smart Tabs will do as much for my SX19. I did call Nauticus and Greg recommended the ST1290-60 tabs. One reason is that the extended swim platform struts on the boat prevent me from mounting the Smart Tabs just inboard of the chine where you would like to put them. I'm going to have to mount mine inboard of that position, about halfway to the keel. The various fiberglass shapes back there worried me that I might not be able to fasten the top of the gas actuator in the same plane as the tab. Greg says that is a requirement if you use the Smart Tabs SX but not if you use the ST tabs. I think there is going to be room enough (there is a flat part of the transom there) -- Nauticus says I need about 10 and 1/2 inches height normally, or approximately 8 inches if I move the attacment of the foot of the actuator rearward on the tab -- another adjustment that I'm not sure you can do with the SX tabs. This is why I bought the ST1290 tabs.

My 21 pitch prop is giving me about 41 mph at WOT at approximately 4150 rpm. I hope I can get the engine more in the preferred range of 4500-4800 rpm and maybe 45 mph by going to a 19 or 18 pitch prop. Will the Smart Tabs give me 10 mph more? Wow, I doubt it, but really high top speed is not what I'm after. I want to get on a plane more easily and stay there at slower speeds than 26 mph too.

Thanks for responding to my query.
    Yellow Jacket
    Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #7

Send rktect29:
    a Private Message

I took a GPS out today and got 51.9 mph top speed on a not so smooth lake. I'd say about 52-53 is accurate. Honestly, the speed was pretty close to the same without the Smart Tabs. Should be getting a lot more speed out of that 21 and higher RPMs.

And darnit, I forgot to get a photo of the installation. I'll try to remember next time . . . still loving the Smart Tabs . . .
    Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

Send rktect29:
    a Private Message

Here are some quick pics with my phone.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMAG0079.jpg (69.5 KB, 84 views)
    File Type: jpg IMAG0080.jpg (62.7 KB, 76 views)
    Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 AM   #9

spinks99 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z202 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.0 LX Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 11

Send spinks99:
    a Private Message

Hi guys,

I went with the High-Five prop this year on my Z202 5.0LX. I'm not all that impressed. It's a 21 pitch and I am still running too high of RPM. I have a 1.62 drive that I still think needs a larger pitch.

All this talk about trim tabs has got my interest. I would like to put a 3 blade prop on my boat for more speed, but also participate effortlessly in watersports. Do you think trim tabs will get me where I want to be?

Thanks,

Danny
    Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #10

wplaine is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z215 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 15

Send wplaine:
    a Private Message

I have the 80# smart tabs and most if not all posts here rave about them. I cant say much about the swap out of props (I have the Bravo 3 with counter rotating SS props so random switchouts cost $1200). Tabs are <$120. do the math and try them. I LOVE mine.