The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Testing Bilge (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/3117-testing-bilge.html)

LluberesMM 08-02-2009 03:03 PM

Testing Bilge

Thanks to all of your support, as I am new to the boating community! :wink_thumbup: I think my bilge pump may have gone out and I'd like to test it, but honestly, I can't even locate it. We took the boat out yesterday and my husband forgot to plug it up, so we stopped immediately, he jumped in and plugged it up, but with the boat being in storage all week, getting rained on, and taking in water, I couldn't get the RPMs up past 20, as if the boat was so heavy with the occupants and water, it couldn't carry it's own weight. We went ahead and pulled it out of the water and drained it as best we could, but there's still water in the hull, and when I turn on the bilge at the gages, I get no sound, no water pumping out, no nothing. Where is the bilge located on an SX20 and where is the manual switch so I can test it? Also, where is the bilge fuse located?
Thanks!

WetWilly 08-03-2009 10:36 AM

Re: Testing Bilge

Quote:

Originally Posted by LluberesMM (Post 17357)
Thanks to all of your support, as I am new to the boating community! :wink_thumbup: I think my bilge pump may have gone out and I'd like to test it, but honestly, I can't even locate it. We took the boat out yesterday and my husband forgot to plug it up, so we stopped immediately, he jumped in and plugged it up, but with the boat being in storage all week, getting rained on, and taking in water, I couldn't get the RPMs up past 20, as if the boat was so heavy with the occupants and water, it couldn't carry it's own weight. We went ahead and pulled it out of the water and drained it as best we could, but there's still water in the hull, and when I turn on the bilge at the gages, I get no sound, no water pumping out, no nothing. Where is the bilge located on an SX20 and where is the manual switch so I can test it? Also, where is the bilge fuse located?
Thanks!

Hi LluberesMM,

Sounds like a fuse went out, but it's possible the pump is kaput too.... I believe your bilge pump has a float switch on it so it should be automatic. There should also be a switch on the dash for manually turning it on.

The pump should be located just below the motor in the middle of the bilge and there should be a hose from the pump to the side of your hull above the water line (normally the starboard side).

WetWilly

dudders 08-05-2009 01:59 PM

Willy is right (as usual :wink_thumbup:) the fuse could be blown, or the pump seized.
Follow the hose from the port side outlet down to your bilge pump. They are cheap and relatively easy to replace if needed.
Good luck - you arent alone with your problem, so we can all sympathise with you.

WetWilly 08-05-2009 10:24 PM

Thanks Tony, BTW, how's your SX18 doing?

dudders 08-06-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 17484)
Thanks Tony, BTW, how's your SX18 doing?

Hi Willy, Its got a smashed port window, and a large long stress fracture from the front of the window almost all the way to the bow on the top of the hull. Hopefully the repair they are attempting wont be noticable. Fingers crossed.
Apart from that the boat if fine, getting a new boat shed erected, but my sons car was totalled :(