Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

2012 R26 Purchase Advice

Sea Fox - Mariah Talk

Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #1

Hawkeye1 is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send Hawkeye1:
a Private Message

Default 2012 R26 Purchase Advice

Hello all, I found a beautiful 2012 Mariah R26 for sale locally that has low hours and everything we're looking for in a bowrider. I'm not that familiar with Mariah boats and even though we love the boat I'm getting cold feet hearing their out of business, been bought out a couple times, reports of build quality etc.
Any advice as to what to watch out for or to run for the hills and get a Crownline etc would be much appreciated. It has a 350 Mercruiser with a Bravo III which I know is a good combo. More worried about boat build and resale value at this point when spending 40K.

Thanks in advance!
  • Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 2012 R26 Purchase Advice

Well, I'll try and tackle this one for you.

Yes, it is true Mariah Boats Inc. went out of business in 2001. Sea Fox Boats purchased the Mariah molds and manufactured them as "Mariah Boat Company" from 2003-2014. The original Mariah boats were built tough and luxurious, using super expensive products. Sea Fox decided after about the first year or two to make them a bit more "budget friendly" to appeal to the entry-level boating community. They used lower grade materials and as a result, there were some quality concerns for some years. After all, Sea Fox is a fishing boat manufacturer, and this was their first step into this style of boat. Around 2011 I believe, they hired a new designer to redesign the boats, and to be honest I haven't heard any negatives, (or positives) as a result. They did make them look good, I'll admit it. The R26 is a good looking boat. However, I just don't think they were selling the brand like they expected to, whether that's due to quality, or just lack of strategic marketing for the Mariah line, I don't know. It wasn't long after that Sea Fox ended up selling the Mariah line to a Canadian manufacturer, and we don't know what happened after that.

So as for advice: I'd say since you're looking at a later model Mariah (after the redesign phase), you're probably better off than looking at one from the earlier 2004-2010 era. But, unfortunately we don't have a lot of info or testimonials from owners of the newer redesigned Mariahs. $40k is a pretty significant investment, so I'd advise you to go over the boat with a fine tooth comb yourself. But also, hire an independent certified marine surveyor to inspect the boat, and to do a sea trial. It will cost likely around $500, which isn't cheap, but having that peace of mind that you're not buying a lemon, or something that will leave you stranded is well worth it... They may even have some info about similar sales and/or future resale values. you can find a surveyor at The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)

Since you brought up the "C-Word", if you're comparing this boat to a crownie, you'll likely find out there's quite a few differences. But always remember, no matter what, you're still way better than a bayliner

Here's my take-home message: If you like the boat, the layout, the looks, if it passes a survey and sea trial, and most importantly you can see yourself, your family and friends enjoying many many summer days on it, then it's worth it! Plus you've got this amazing community here for support and we value your opinion, and would love to have you join our big Mariah family of over 12,800 members worldwide!

Hope this helps, sorry for the novel!
    GaryDoug likes this.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification