The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Temp prop (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/8114-temp-prop.html)

Rick Senn 05-18-2013 10:26 PM

Temp prop

The kids and I took our 94 Talari z240 (350 Magnum and Alpha 1) out for the first time this spring here in Vermont and we 'found' the large tub of concrete that anchors the swim platform (which we planned to put in tomorrow). After a nice, forgiving thud, I throttled back to shore and did the walk of shame to my wife to let her know we needed to get a new prop. I borrowed what the marina had this afternoon which was a Merc 3 blade 25P. Talk about slow ramping up. However, better than half chewed blades. After reading the posts in the prop talk forum, my goal is to get a 19 or 20 since we really only tube, ski and wake board. No top end needed, just need to get out of the hole. The old prop was rebuilt and I do not know what the specs were. My question is when I ran the rpm's up to 4K, it seemed to max out and then the drive felt like it spun free for a second and then it lost momentium. The motor did not diie or over rev. Never went over 4K. Is this the rev limiter or drive slip? Thoughts?

ColoradoDiablo 05-20-2013 12:42 AM

Re: Temp prop

This started after you "found the obstacle" right?
Coupler or prop hub bad maybe?
Does it make noise or have a vibration?

Rick Senn 05-20-2013 01:13 AM

Yes, after the run in. Once I replaced the bad prop there were no vibrations or bad mechanical sounds heard. It also shifts fine. I think I can get the lower pitched prop installed tomorrow evening and give it another test.

Thanks!

ColoradoDiablo 05-20-2013 01:30 AM

Let us know :)

Rick Senn 05-31-2013 02:35 AM

Rain and Snow FINALLY left Vermont to test the prop? issue tonight. Took it out at WOT and it slowly crept to 4K rpm while only achieving around 20 mph. Then it suddenly revved up over 5500 with no acceleration. I quickly backed off the throttle realizing things were not good. What part of the transmission would cause this? i don think it is a lower end problem. Engine seems fine. Thoughts to tell the mechanic this weekend?

Thanks

ColoradoDiablo 05-31-2013 02:42 AM

Prop hub or coupler would be my bet.

Andy b 05-31-2013 01:40 PM

Engine bay is usually full of nasty smelling rubber smoke if it's the coupler, my bet would be spun prop hub as ColoradoDiablo said

Rick Senn 06-01-2013 12:21 AM

If it is the hub, would it still allow the prop to work at around 10-15 mph? Seems like if it spun the hub, it would be totally useless. I took it to the shop tonight to get it looked at next week. Lets hope for the best.
Thanks!

mikeyt 06-01-2013 01:28 AM

It wont necessarily be totally useless and many times they will still 'work' at lower speeds but when you put the hammer down then the load becomes too much and they start to spin on the hub. I think both Larry & Andy have got it right and its most likely a spun hub.

Andy b 06-01-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Senn (Post 44625)
If it is the hub, would it still allow the prop to work at around 10-15 mph? Seems like if it spun the hub, it would be totally useless

If it's the plastic flo-torq hub then if it's spun you'd know it and it would be useless!
But these just pop out and you should carry a spare hub on board.
If it's the rubber hub then yes it will still have some low speed grip but it wont last long...
sort of get you back too the dock if you nurse it type of thing.

From all you've described I would say it was prop hub, but have you tried a different prop on it yet?