The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Prop Shopping (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/7978-prop-shopping.html)

CarolinaKipper 04-16-2013 06:02 PM

Prop Shopping

Hey everyone, I have begun researching and prop shopping for my Mariah Talri Z240 with an Mercruiser Alpha 1 Outdrive... It currently has a Stainless Quick Silver Prop. I cant tell you the part number or model exactly as I keep it at a Marina in the water, I do have a photo of the out drive when it was on the trailer. Click this link: Carolina Kipper Outdrive My question is, it had a Stainless 3 blade prop on it when i bought it. Should I replace it with the exact model, Blade, Pitch? Also can any one confirm that this photo of my outdrive is a Right Handed prop?

Many Thanks in advance,

Happy Boating!

Carolina Kipper

Andy b 04-16-2013 08:55 PM

Re: Prop Shopping

If your going for another quicksilver prop, one thing I will say is don’t fit a Laser II. It’s a bow lifting prop and that’s one thing you don’t need on a Mariah

CarolinaKipper 04-16-2013 09:12 PM

Andy - You got that right - bow lifting is not what im looking for, I installed hydraulic trim tabs to help with that. So, do I stay with the 3 blade prop? and am I correct in assuming its a right handed prop?

Thanks,
Tim

CarolinaKipper 04-16-2013 09:14 PM

Hate to be a Prop Newbie, Let me re-phrase my question - What would you spend your boat budget on when replacing a prop? Make, Model, Pitch? Stainless or Aluminum?

mikeyt 04-16-2013 09:22 PM

The first thing to ask is whether the existing prop performed properly on your boat. Did it keep the WOT rpms within the recommended range? I dont know what engine you have in that Z240 but my guess will be around 4800 rpms is the maximum. If you were close to that then you have the right pitch prop. And, if the prop performed well then it might be a good idea to stick with the same make/model. Why is it that you feel the need to replace that prop?

Andy b 04-16-2013 09:27 PM

What do you want to do with the boat? May sound like a silly question, but prop choice is something that is tailored to how you use the boat.
There is always a trade-off.
As a general rule
3 blade props will give you better top speed
4 blade props are great all-rounders, good for everyday boating cruising/pulling toys/carrying load
5 blade props will have a greatly reduced top end but will pull just about anything you tie to the back of the boat…..within reason!
Then you get into pitch/diameter/cupping/ stainless/ali………..
But first thing you need is a base line to work from. Try the prop you have, tell us what it is? Then tell us what it is that you want to improve

Motoxxx43 04-16-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 43102)
The first thing to ask is whether the existing prop performed properly on your boat. Did it keep the WOT rpms within the recommended range? I dont know what engine you have in that Z240 but my guess will be around 4800 rpms is the maximum. If you were close to that then you have the right pitch prop. And, if the prop performed well then it might be a good idea to stick with the same make/model. Why is it that you feel the need to replace that prop?

Mikey has a great point! If it was working good why replace it?

And yes, right hand prop.

CarolinaKipper 04-22-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 43103)
What do you want to do with the boat? May sound like a silly question, but prop choice is something that is tailored to how you use the boat.
There is always a trade-off.
As a general rule
3 blade props will give you better top speed
4 blade props are great all-rounders, good for everyday boating cruising/pulling toys/carrying load
5 blade props will have a greatly reduced top end but will pull just about anything you tie to the back of the boat…..within reason!
Then you get into pitch/diameter/cupping/ stainless/ali………..
But first thing you need is a base line to work from. Try the prop you have, tell us what it is? Then tell us what it is that you want to improve

Andy
I used to be about speed, but now I need just all round boating, and just pulling a tube and cruising. More so with more people cruising than tubing anymore. Kids are getting older ... :wink_thumbup:

CarolinaKipper 04-22-2013 07:32 PM

Im thinking I should do a 4 blade prop... for better handling... and a little less top end speed... thanks for all the help... now to pick a brand....

The reason I am replacing prop is: I hit bottom a few times and have a few good dings, my concern is I will be running th eprop out of balance and putting excessive wear n tear in the out-drive shaft....

Andy b 04-22-2013 09:18 PM

If grounding is a constant worry in the waters where you do your boating then I would recommend you buy a prop with a flo-torq hub, not a rubber hub.
Oh and keep a spare hub on board :wink_thumbup: