The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Prop guard (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/7955-prop-guard.html)

Jaztwnz 04-13-2013 08:50 PM

Prop guard

Afternoon everyone looking for some advice on a prop guard. I have a 24 jubilee twin prop 5.3 merc cruiser bravo 3. Also I did not get a owners manual any advice on how to figure out what switches do what. She's my first boat and a beauty at that........:yes_grin::wink_thumbup:

ColoradoDiablo 04-13-2013 09:06 PM

Re: Prop guard

Not sure what kind of guard you are looking for Jaz:confused:
Are you looking for something to protect the props when out of the water or while in the water using the boat?

mikeyt 04-13-2013 11:32 PM

And as for a manual, that question gets asked here a couple of times every week. Read this 'sticky' and your query will be answered.

Jaztwnz 04-14-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 42991)
Not sure what kind of guard you are looking for Jaz:confused:
Are you looking for something to protect the props when out of the water or while in the water using the boat?

We have 3 year old twins and my dad was curious to know if there was some kind of prop guard to somewhat protect swimmers, I know the prop should ever be on while any one is behind the boat in the water...

Jaztwnz 04-14-2013 02:46 AM

Thanks Mikeyt

mikeyt 04-14-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaztwnz (Post 42994)
We have 3 year old twins and my dad was curious to know if there was some kind of prop guard to somewhat protect swimmers, I know the prop should ever be on while any one is behind the boat in the water...

I'm not sure i've seen anything that would encase the prop in some sort of cage to protect swimmers. I suspect that anything of that nature would affect the water flow around the prop likely leading to reduced performance, cavitation or other similar issues. I figure if the prop is a major concern to anyone they should maybe consider a jet drive along the lines of a PWC.

Actually, the more i think about it, maybe you have found a use for those ugly 'whale-tails' some boaters attach to their outdrives...:rolling_laugh:

Jaztwnz 04-14-2013 04:24 AM

I just found out what a prop guard looks like and yes it decreases the performance so that's a no on getting one

Jaztwnz 04-14-2013 04:27 AM

How long have you owned boats? You seem extremely knowledgable ....

ColoradoDiablo 04-14-2013 04:45 AM

My opinion Jaz........if at all worried about the kids , make sure drive is down all the way and engine off in nuetral. At least til they and you are more comfortable with boarding.
My one grandson is 7yrs old and I still shutdown to let him board. Probably will for awhile longer too , safety first with the kids. :)
Only guards I have ever seen are for river runners or smaller outboard motors.
Skeg will catch the brunt of most obsticles.
Trick is......don't hit nothin':)

csterner 04-14-2013 04:55 AM

I agree with Mikey. i have never seen an inwater prop guard to cover the props. I have seen people that have built extra large swim platforms to reduce the risk of kids jumping off the back of the boat and hitting the outdrive. The only other option is to get a boat with a straight inboard instead of a inboard/outboard. The props on a straight inboard do not stick out nearly as much as an I/O does. And yes, I always turn the engine off when anyone is near the back of the boat. Putting the engine in neutral does not guarantee that the prop still will not spin. (It is not supposed to spin, but if your shift cable is a little bit off, the prop will turn).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD