The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Help Please!!!! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/7054-help-please.html)

PearcyPorker 06-26-2012 06:00 PM

Help Please!!!!

I am a newbbie here, but I have read through a lot of the post. I just recently bought a 2007 SX19 with a 5.0l and a 3 blade 14.5x19p aluminum prop. This past weekend was the first time I have had it on the water. When taking off the prop doesnt seem to get any bite and the RPM's rev way high. When on a plain it's turning 4,000 rpm's and running bout 28MPH, and that was only about half throttle. I never did try WOT because of the high RPM's. I did run it around 5500 for just a second then backed off quick. My questions is, what prop do you guys think I should look for and does anyone know close to what WOT rpm's should be. Thank you for the time and help.

mikeyt 06-26-2012 09:08 PM

Re: Help Please!!!!

You have the right pitch prop for your boat/motor but what you likely also have is a spun prop hub which needs to be repaired or replaced before you do some damage. Find a local prop shop & have them check it for you.

PearcyPorker 06-26-2012 09:24 PM

Mikeyt, Thank you sir for the info. I have been reading in another post somewhere, maybe another board about this. Is this something I can fix myself by pulling the prop and replacing the hub???

mikeyt 06-27-2012 01:36 AM

Depends what kind of a prop hub you have. If its a press fit then no not likely. If its an interchangeable style hub kit then its fairly simple.

PearcyPorker 06-27-2012 02:30 AM

Thanks again Mikey!!!!! I pulled it off this afternoon and I'm going to take it to a prop shop tomorrow. I really do appriciate the help. This board is fantastic!!!!!

PearcyPorker 06-28-2012 04:58 PM

Update, took the Prop to a "prop shop" and everything looks good on the prop. I put it back on and checked the back of the Tach and it was set to 6 cyl., so I am going to take it back out this weekend and see if it was just in my head. I have also read a bunch of happy people on here that are using the "Smart Tabs". I have pretty much convinced myself to get these from everything I have read about them. Thanks again for the help!

mikeyt 06-28-2012 06:19 PM

Glad to hear there was no problem with the prop. Give the small dial on the back of the tach a spin a few times then reset it at "6 cyl". Sometimes a little bit of corrosion (damp atmosphere in a boat) causes problems with the tach.

PearcyPorker 06-28-2012 08:35 PM

Actually, I messed up on my last post. My tach was set to 6Cyl. and should have been on 8Cyl. I have a 5.0L in my SX19.

mikeyt 06-28-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PearcyPorker (Post 37139)
Actually, I messed up on my last post. My tach was set to 6Cyl. and should have been on 8Cyl. I have a 5.0L in my SX19.

I should have caught that error too.... :shakehead:

That would explain the incorrect reading on the tach.