Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

1st outing a disaster

Prop Talk

Old 08-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #1

wweathers is currently offline
My Year: 1998
My Model: z216 talari
My Engine: 5.0
Gallery Images: 0

Send wweathers:
a Private Message

Default 1st outing a disaster

Took the boat to the lake yesterday. Put it in and it is a pig. It has a 21 pitch stainless. It will not get out of the water with 3 people on board without walking all the way up front. Once you get it on plain it rides like a bucking bronco at 4800 rpms. Changed to a 19 quiksilver prop and it will jump up fine but it will turn 6000 rpms. It runs fine at half throttle at 4600. It is a z216 talari 5.0 2 brl crb with a 1.62 out drive. What does the BOW DOWN switch do? I have no owners manuel
  • Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #2

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 1st outing a disaster

Sounds to me like you're trying to run the boat with the outdrive tilted up all the time.

[Edit...]

So I searched with Google on "bow down switch" and came up with this: How Insta-Trim Boat Levelers Work. I don't suppose you have powered trim tabs on that boat, perhaps?

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 08-01-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Old 08-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #3

Talari95 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 180 Talari
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Talari95:
    a Private Message

I agree with Jim. Check to see that the outdrive is trimmed down when accelerating, then slowly raise the outdrive a little at a time until you are able to optimize speed and plane. When the boat "bucks" (aka porpoising), it is a sure sign that the outdrive has been trimmed up too high.

Better luck on the 2nd outing!

Carl

1995 180 Talari
    4.3L Mercruiser
    Alpha One
    Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #4

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Wondering how this one turned out, too...

Jim
    Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #5

Send wweathers:
    a Private Message

Nope, The out drive is all the way down. Looked at idle just to make sure the gauge was right. Bought a lazer 11 prop going to try it this weekend. It has the bow down pads on the rear that are not working. They are even with the bottom of the boat. I trim it up a little to get the nose up in smooth water and as soon as it hits a little wake its up and down again even when its all the way down. It does it worst with the 21 but the 19 at half throttle it starts up and down up and down makes you want to stand in it and blow it up. thinking about putting 200 lbs on the nose
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #6

rajjneef is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 97'
    My Model: Z242 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 efi Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 3

Send rajjneef:
    a Private Message

Somethings not right here. You will not gain 1200 RPM's going from a 21p to a 19p. It should be roughly 400 RPM's. If you are porpoising your drive is trimmed too high. I agree with the others as it sounds like you are trying to come out of the hole trimmed up. Who cares what that gauge says. When you look at the drive in the all the way down position it should be tucking up under the boat ever so slightly. Meaning it is not going to be parallel with the stern. My suggestion would be to find a knowledgeable boating friend and let them take a look at it with you.
    Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #7

Send wweathers:
    a Private Message

I am very familiar in how a boat performs nomaly. the cyl on the trim are bottomed out and ther is very little movement in the shaft=(3 thousands) when at the lowest point and (0) when it is at trailoring heighth. The 21 pitch prop is probably just cupped wrong for the boat( Mirage)the 19 may have a hub issue being it is so much diffrence. The laserII came in just now and I will try it out tomorrow and let you know what happens. When making turns the boat bites real hard, not like it is trimed up to high. Like I said the 19 that lets it turn 6000 I believe has a slippage issue. Keep the comments coming though because Lord knows I need them. LOL

Last edited by wweathers; 08-11-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #8

Send wweathers:
    a Private Message

Well just back from the lake. Man diaking this boat in is like tuning one of our S/S drag cars. LOL . I put the lazer II prop that I had got from a guy up north ( very Little Use) that is junk. Would not even pull out of the water on the trailer. I could smell it before I put it on over the wd40 he had washed it down with. Carried it to the prop shop and sure enough it was burnt up. The owner measuered the pitch it was 14.25 x 19 it measured 19 with a 34 cup with 2 exhaust holes drilled. He had a new rapture prop that was 14.25 x 19 it measured 19 with a 35 cup. Unlike the Lazer II, it had the replaceable hub for easy repair. Beautiful peace. I installed it on the boat. It had only 1 exhaust relief hole drilled in the side. Man This thing was just like it was made for this boat. 3 seconds its on trim. No bogg, runs 42 at 3800 rpm at half throttle, smooth as silk on the water. Still a little rough in wake but figured out the trim pad motor is not working. I thought it did not have any hydraulics going to them until I removed them from the back with the 3 screws. The line screws directly to the absorber, unlike the ones I have seen with the line veiwable from the out side. I will repair that this week and all should be well. It runs around 54 at 4700 rpm with it trimed a little of the bottom. Right when the nose starts to feel a little light with no drag. Starting to relax a bit and able to take the seatbelts off, if you know what I mean. The wife is not white knuckling the grab bars. LOL
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #9

al levy is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: 272 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4 bravo 111

Send al levy:
    a Private Message

the trim button raises the out drive up and down and the trailering button brings it higher to put on the trailer only. when taking off from a stop bring the drive all the way down. when the boat gets on plane you will feel somewhat of a slight vibration in the boat. hit the trim button only til the boat smooths out without more acceleration. now you can accelerate and bring the trim up accordingly. the bronco feeling you were getting (porpoising) was that you had the bow to high from trim up to much. tap the trim down til it stops. do not be afraid to use the trim button quite often depending on waves, people moving in the boat etc.
    Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #10

Send wweathers:
    a Private Message

the bronco effect was worst when the trim was on bottom. It was just the prop problem. all is well now. Thanks
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al levy View Post
    the trim button raises the out drive up and down and the trailering button brings it higher to put on the trailer only. when taking off from a stop bring the drive all the way down. when the boat gets on plane you will feel somewhat of a slight vibration in the boat. hit the trim button only til the boat smooths out without more acceleration. now you can accelerate and bring the trim up accordingly. the bronco feeling you were getting (porpoising) was that you had the bow to high from trim up to much. tap the trim down til it stops. do not be afraid to use the trim button quite often depending on waves, people moving in the boat etc.