Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Need advice regarding prop.(SC19, 190HP)

Prop Talk

Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #11

mikeyt is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: Shabah 180
My Engine: 4.3
Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
a Private Message

hi Kyn

I dont know much about the Ballistic line of props. They do seem like more of a 'performance' prop than the Apollo with the highly cupped blades but then i read this at the Deep Blue site also:

Michigan Match and Ballistic propellers do not use the XHS™ Hub Kit. However, Deep Blue Yacht Supply always recommends an Apollo or Vortex propeller where appropriate, as the hub kit system will save you money in the long run, as well as being an equal to or higher performance propeller.

One of the main disadvantages of 'pressed in' hubs is that if you spin the hub, its not something you're going to be able to repair yourself. You will have to send/take the prop into a prop shop for repairs. Another disadvantage of the agressive rakes on this prop is that it will reduce your hole shot at the expense of higher top end performance. It's not designed to be a 'load' prop. Where it does shine though is cruising at the higher rpms although i understand it has a habit of venting in high speed turns which means you will have to tuck your drive in when doing this.

Looks like model 345134 is the correct Ballistic prop if thats what you want to go with. Model 993205 is the correct Apollo prop along with hub #102 if you go that direction.
  • Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
    kyn Thread Starter

kyn is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send kyn:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    hi Kyn

I dont know much about the Ballistic line of props. They do seem like more of a 'performance' prop than the Apollo with the highly cupped blades but then i read this at the Deep Blue site also:

Michigan Match and Ballistic propellers do not use the XHS™ Hub Kit. However, Deep Blue Yacht Supply always recommends an Apollo or Vortex propeller where appropriate, as the hub kit system will save you money in the long run, as well as being an equal to or higher performance propeller.

One of the main disadvantages of 'pressed in' hubs is that if you spin the hub, its not something you're going to be able to repair yourself. You will have to send/take the prop into a prop shop for repairs. Another disadvantage of the agressive rakes on this prop is that it will reduce your hole shot at the expense of higher top end performance. It's not designed to be a 'load' prop. Where it does shine though is cruising at the higher rpms although i understand it has a habit of venting in high speed turns which means you will have to tuck your drive in when doing this.

Looks like model 345134 is the correct Ballistic prop if thats what you want to go with. Model 993205 is the correct Apollo prop along with hub #102 if you go that direction.
    I agree! The same numbers I have looked up:-), hmmmmm.. this is not an easy desision doing over seas.
    Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
    kyn Thread Starter

kyn is currently offline

Send kyn:
    a Private Message

Anyone tried Mercurys "new" Enertia stanless steel propeller? I talked to some guys here in Norway, and they said that this superthin bladed prop. is really something compared to Michigan Ballistic and others. Mayby it`s just a hype? They cost over 500$
    Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #14

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyn View Post
    Anyone tried Mercurys "new" Enertia stanless steel propeller? I talked to some guys here in Norway, and they said that this superthin bladed prop. is really something compared to Michigan Ballistic and others. Mayby it`s just a hype? They cost over 500$
    And now you're throwing a 3rd prop (@ $500++) into the mix? If you keep adding prop choices here, it will be winter in Norway before your new prop shows up.

Basically, what characteristic are you willing to give up? Your choices are 1) Performance, 2) Cruiseability, and 3) Economy. Compromise means you go for performance and accept the resulting economy, or you go for cruisability and MPG and give up performance. Sharp rakes & thin blades are performance props.

From what i see the Enertia is designed to be a top end (rpm) performance / cruising prop and not a low rpm 'get you out of the hole' or 'pull a skiier' prop.

For what its worth, have a look at the Stiletto Bay Pro II also. It's a very good compromise prop. I have a friend with a 19' Regal and the 4.3 He runs a 20" pitch Stiletto and is very happy with its performance. The Apollo would be another good compromise prop worth looking at as they are very reasonably priced.
    Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
    kyn Thread Starter

kyn is currently offline

Send kyn:
    a Private Message

Smile

Quote:
    And now you're throwing a 3rd prop (@ $500++) into the mix? If you keep adding prop choices here, it will be winter in Norway before your new prop shows up.

Basically, what characteristic are you willing to give up? Your choices are 1) Performance, 2) Cruiseability, and 3) Economy. Compromise means you go for performance and accept the resulting economy, or you go for cruisability and MPG and give up performance. Sharp rakes & thin blades are performance props.

From what i see the Enertia is designed to be a top end (rpm) performance / cruising prop and not a low rpm 'get you out of the hole' or 'pull a skiier' prop.

For what its worth, have a look at the Stiletto Bay Pro II also. It's a very good compromise prop. I have a friend with a 19' Regal and the 4.3 He runs a 20" pitch Stiletto and is very happy with its performance. The Apollo would be another good compromise prop worth looking at as they are very reasonably priced.

He he! I get it! I guess I will choose the Apollo 4-blade.
    Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #16

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

You might want to also consider a set of Smart Tabs. They will help get you on plane quickly, reduce or eliminate that 'low speed wander' and help keep you on plane at lower speeds. They will be around $175-200 shipped to Norway and you can install them yourself in about 45 mins. I wont go into the full details here because we've discussed this numerous times elsewhere. Do a site search for "Smart Tabs" if you want to read more or visit the mfr site at www.nauticusinc.com
    Old 06-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
    kyn Thread Starter

kyn is currently offline

Send kyn:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    You might want to also consider a set of Smart Tabs. They will help get you on plane quickly, reduce or eliminate that 'low speed wander' and help keep you on plane at lower speeds. They will be around $175-200 shipped to Norway and you can install them yourself in about 45 mins. I wont go into the full details here because we've discussed this numerous times elsewhere. Do a site search for "Smart Tabs" if you want to read more or visit the mfr site at www.nauticusinc.com

Just ordered

I have read a little about them, but didn`t notice the-low-speed-wandering argument. This is a serious problem with my Sc19
    Old 06-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #18

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

You ordered them with the 60 lb actuators i hope? The 80# arms will be too strong for your boat.
    Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
    kyn Thread Starter

kyn is currently offline

Send kyn:
    a Private Message

****! Are you sure? Just ordered the 80 cause in the web this look like the match for my boat considering the lenght of boat and enginesize.
    Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #20

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyn View Post
    ****! Are you sure? Just ordered the 80 cause in the web this look like the match for my boat considering the lenght of boat and enginesize.

Absolutely. The 80# actuators will be too strong. Nauticus will exchange them for you though so send then an email ([email protected])