The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   stabilizer (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/8309-stabilizer.html)

Michael709 06-17-2013 12:53 AM

stabilizer

Does anyone know which doel-fin stabilizer would be best for my boat a 180, with a 403, I was looking at the Attwood Hydro stabilizer, Davis 440, and the sporttec SE sport, all of them say faster out-of-the hole performance and faster plane at lower speeds:confused:

mikeyt 06-17-2013 03:42 AM

Re: stabilizer

No one in their right mind would stick a 'fin' on their outdrive, particularly the outdrive of a Mariah. You will be disowned if you do so and forced to go join the Bayliner forum!

Find the search button up in the top right corner of the screen and enter "Smart Tabs", read up on them and buy a set. I do not want you to mention installing a 'fin' here again. :mad:

nglauer 06-17-2013 03:50 AM

None - buy a set of the Nauticus Smart Tabs - You will be extremely happy!

I put a set on my 2001 Diablo 180 and I could not believe the improvements...

Before Tabs:
  1. It took forever to plane - had to move friends to the front constantly (not a good confidence booster for the ladies when asked to move)
  2. Burnt more fuel - due to hard launches trying to get on plane
  3. Back of boat washed around more during hard turns
  4. Had a slight list to one side
  5. Wandered like crazy when going through no wake zones at ultra speeds (It lliterally made me look like a drunk going back and forth on the wheel to try and stay straight)

After Tabs:
  1. Instant planing - even when loaded or towing the tube
  2. Saved fuel (literally a bunch) due to lower throttle during launch and while maintaining plane.
  3. More stable turning at higher speeds
  4. No more list - even with the wife and kids. I mean, you can still over load one side, but it is not as prevalent as before
  5. No more wandering of sawing on the wheel through the very low speed wake areas (I have to travel 1/3 mile of this.. and it took much longer before. Now it's a straight shot lol)

Smart Tabs SX Trim Tabs

I hope this helps!

Nick

nglauer 06-17-2013 04:02 AM

Also forgot the mention - the Smart tabs do not place any strain on your lower unit. They really are a great product, and you'll find that just about everyone on here has purchased them. You can find some great deals on them online as well. I actually found mine new and unopened at a Cabela's in the bargain cave - ironically it was on the shelf with various "fins" that had been opened/used and returned.

I talked my cousin into switching - he's been running various "fin" style's on his boats for years. He drove my boat the day I bought it (as I had never owned a boat and needed some help on the maiden voyage). I let him drive it immediately after I installed them - he was so impressed that he pulled his fin (I believe it was the sport clip?) and replaced it with Smart Tabs.

Again, I can't express how much this single purchase transformed my boat. It has honestly been the single best investment I have made for my boat - and one of the cheapest.

Also - MikeyT might have an aneurism if you put a fin on - help keep his blood pressure down and make the right choice ;)

Good luck!

Nick

Andy b 06-17-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 45433)
No one in their right mind would stick a 'fin' on their outdrive, particularly the outdrive of a Mariah. You will be disowned if you do so and forced to go join the Bayliner forum! :mad:

Potty mouth! :eek_animated:

mikeyt 06-17-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 45463)
Potty mouth! :eek_animated:

I know.. I just had a Scotch to wash out the taste that word leaves in my mouth. :rolling_laugh:

Andy b 06-17-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 45468)
I know.. I just had a Scotch to wash out the taste that word leaves in my mouth. :rolling_laugh:

But it must be lunch time over there! and on a school day..... :shakehead:

Michael709 06-17-2013 08:23 PM

Okay thanks getting the smart tabs

Andy b 06-17-2013 08:28 PM

It's all good fun here Michael :wink_thumbup:
it's just them whale fins are Mikes kryptonite!
You won't regret the tabs though. what motor have you got in your 180?

mikeyt 06-18-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael709 (Post 45473)
Okay thanks getting the smart tabs

Excellent choice! :wink_thumbup: