Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Winter Upgrades

Projects

Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #131

Oregondunes is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 2000
My Model: Z302 Bow Rider
My Engine: 7.4 bravo3
Gallery Images: 36

Send Oregondunes:
a Private Message

Default Re: Winter Upgrades

I installed the new MAP sensor, re-set the timing, downloaded and used the new ECU and put in new plugs. No improvement. Next is the TPS sensor and distributor..thats all there is left
  • Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #132

theeasynine is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 6

Send theeasynine:
    a Private Message

Is hate to pay the bills for everything you've done!! Will be a great ride for many many years.

1996 z240 Talari / 7.4L Bravo III
    Old 07-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #133

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

That's the plan
    Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #134

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Tonite was TPS, Distributor & coil. No change.

Disconnected the tach, thinking it might have been malfunctioning. No Change.

Found a loose engine ground and positive battery cable. No Change.

Blew out the entire engine management programs and started with a fresh install. No Change.

Tomorrow Ill be Ohm testing the entire loom looking for a short or weak connection. If all else fails, ill be re-installing my Mefi 3 wiring harness and ECU and start over.

I hate Gremlins that I cant see.
    Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #135

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one
    Gallery Images: 0

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I hate to hear this. I hope you are able to get it figured out and on the water soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    -2007 GMC Canyon 4x4 Crew Cab
    -2010 GMC Acadia SLT
    -1993 Camaro "SCCA Project Car"
    Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #136

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I suspect you have a harness issue. I read on another forum where someone had a similar problem with their boat going into safe mode. Here are some of the things they had mentioned. I apologize if i'm way off, or reposting something you have already read.

Also, I had experienced something similar with my Camaro after building the motor and installing my Vortech Supercharger/aftercooler. My problem was initially the knock sensor picking up noise from my Taylor wires, and an issue with my harness. After rewiring most of it and shielding and rerouting most of my plug wires my issue was corrected. Again, I hope this helps.

Below is the link to the original post, I have added some snippets of what they discussed on their thread.

99 7.4L MPI will not rev up, runs smooth. [Archive] - Club Sea Ray

"06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
    Here's how I'm understanding this. Scenario 1: The ECM is not detecting voltage from the knock sensor and goes into safe mode to protect the engine. Scenario 2: The ECM voltage monitor is continuously receiving a signal from a bad knock sensor and retards timing.
    Both situations would result in an rpm drop. The difference is a code will be set only with scenario 1. In Scenario 2 the ECM thinks all is well and does what it's supposed to, so no code.
    Does the ECM match the engine? If your original engine had MEFI1 or 2 then you also have a module which shuts off the voltage from the knock sensor to the ECM. This tells the ECM that a knock is present.
    Now let's say you throw on a MEFI3, which isn't designed to work with the knock sensor voltage module. MEFI3 works by detecting voltage directly from the knock sensor. This looks like it could be a major conflict, assuming you have the knock sensor module working in conjunction with the sensor. So with the module continuously sending voltage to the MEFI3 ECM (indicating no knock), the ECM would interpret that as a knock and retard timing. MEFI1&2 works completely opposite from MEFI3, regarding the knock sensor. MEFI1&2, no voltage to ECM indicates a knock. MEFI3, a knock is present when it receives voltage."

"06-27-2009, 11:52 AM
    Today we found the pin J2-6 (Ignition Control Ref. Low) on the harness that plugs into the distibutor to have a dead short. The grounding out stopped when the rest of the harness was unplugged from the ECM, a Delphi Part. We therefore pulled the ECM for testing. I will keep you posted. I think the problem is in the ECM although no error codes or in the timing sensor.
    J2-6 is the pin for Ignition Control Ref. Low on MEFI-1 and -2. It's J2-3 on MEFI-3. It's supposed to be 0 (less than .5) volts and held there by the PCM. J2-6 is not used on MEFI-3.
    As above the knock sensor module is integral to MEFI-3. It's external on MEFI-1 & -2. The L-29s use J1-30 and J1-14 to directly connect the knock sensors to MEFI-3. If the ignition wires to the plugs run too close to the knock sensor wires, MEFI can interpret the cross-talk as knock and retard the spark. Use the scan tool to read the number of degrees that the spark is retarded. Should be zero.
    Forgot you have a sterndrive. J2-24 is the input from the sterndrive lube bottle. Make sure this circuit (906 tan/white) is not grounded."

"07-07-2009, 01:03 AM
    IT IS FIXED....... After checking all the sensors and replacing the cool fuel system as well as all the injectors we finally decided to check the wiring harness and the ECM. Unfortunatly we were not able to find a good used or new MEFI 3 wiring harness to try with my existing MEFI 3 ECM with so we ended up trying a MEFI 2 harness and MEFI two ECM and that it was it. The boat is running great. Finally...What I need to do now is source a good used or new harness for my 99 7.4L MPI engine and try it with my MEFI 3 harness. If that still leaves a problem I will need to also track down a MEFI 3 ECM. The good news is I now have a running boat. My mechanic wants me to put on the MEFI 4 kit which is a new harness and ECM as a kit, as Mercruiser no longer makes a MEFI 3 available as DELPHI the manufacturer no longer makes them. Anyone have experience or thoughts on going to MEFI 4."

"09-13-2010, 12:43 AM
    Wanted to put in a final comment to close this thread but let future readers know the final solution was not the ECM. I found a used harness on EBAY for the MEFI 3 and voila! Engine ran great. No obvious visual problems looking at the harness but I suspect a broken wire or faulty connector would fail once the RPM came up and the voltages increased. Hugely hard to troubleshoot. Older engines using EFI opens up the engine to major corrosion headaches. Moist environment and electronics, not such a good combo. Thanks again to all who helped me with this."

Nick
    -2007 GMC Canyon 4x4 Crew Cab
    -2010 GMC Acadia SLT
    -1993 Camaro "SCCA Project Car"
    Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #137

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nglauer View Post
    I suspect you have a harness issue. I read on another forum where someone had a similar problem with their boat going into safe mode. Here are some of the things they had mentioned. I apologize if i'm way off, or reposting something you have already read.

Also, I had experienced something similar with my Camaro after building the motor and installing my Vortech Supercharger/aftercooler. My problem was initially the knock sensor picking up noise from my Taylor wires, and an issue with my harness. After rewiring most of it and shielding and rerouting most of my plug wires my issue was corrected. Again, I hope this helps.

Below is the link to the original post, I have added some snippets of what they discussed on their thread.

99 7.4L MPI will not rev up, runs smooth. [Archive] - Club Sea Ray

"06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
    Here's how I'm understanding this. Scenario 1: The ECM is not detecting voltage from the knock sensor and goes into safe mode to protect the engine. Scenario 2: The ECM voltage monitor is continuously receiving a signal from a bad knock sensor and retards timing.
    Both situations would result in an rpm drop. The difference is a code will be set only with scenario 1. In Scenario 2 the ECM thinks all is well and does what it's supposed to, so no code.
    Does the ECM match the engine? If your original engine had MEFI1 or 2 then you also have a module which shuts off the voltage from the knock sensor to the ECM. This tells the ECM that a knock is present.
    Now let's say you throw on a MEFI3, which isn't designed to work with the knock sensor voltage module. MEFI3 works by detecting voltage directly from the knock sensor. This looks like it could be a major conflict, assuming you have the knock sensor module working in conjunction with the sensor. So with the module continuously sending voltage to the MEFI3 ECM (indicating no knock), the ECM would interpret that as a knock and retard timing. MEFI1&2 works completely opposite from MEFI3, regarding the knock sensor. MEFI1&2, no voltage to ECM indicates a knock. MEFI3, a knock is present when it receives voltage."

"06-27-2009, 11:52 AM
    Today we found the pin J2-6 (Ignition Control Ref. Low) on the harness that plugs into the distibutor to have a dead short. The grounding out stopped when the rest of the harness was unplugged from the ECM, a Delphi Part. We therefore pulled the ECM for testing. I will keep you posted. I think the problem is in the ECM although no error codes or in the timing sensor.
    J2-6 is the pin for Ignition Control Ref. Low on MEFI-1 and -2. It's J2-3 on MEFI-3. It's supposed to be 0 (less than .5) volts and held there by the PCM. J2-6 is not used on MEFI-3.
    As above the knock sensor module is integral to MEFI-3. It's external on MEFI-1 & -2. The L-29s use J1-30 and J1-14 to directly connect the knock sensors to MEFI-3. If the ignition wires to the plugs run too close to the knock sensor wires, MEFI can interpret the cross-talk as knock and retard the spark. Use the scan tool to read the number of degrees that the spark is retarded. Should be zero.
    Forgot you have a sterndrive. J2-24 is the input from the sterndrive lube bottle. Make sure this circuit (906 tan/white) is not grounded."

"07-07-2009, 01:03 AM
    IT IS FIXED....... After checking all the sensors and replacing the cool fuel system as well as all the injectors we finally decided to check the wiring harness and the ECM. Unfortunatly we were not able to find a good used or new MEFI 3 wiring harness to try with my existing MEFI 3 ECM with so we ended up trying a MEFI 2 harness and MEFI two ECM and that it was it. The boat is running great. Finally...What I need to do now is source a good used or new harness for my 99 7.4L MPI engine and try it with my MEFI 3 harness. If that still leaves a problem I will need to also track down a MEFI 3 ECM. The good news is I now have a running boat. My mechanic wants me to put on the MEFI 4 kit which is a new harness and ECM as a kit, as Mercruiser no longer makes a MEFI 3 available as DELPHI the manufacturer no longer makes them. Anyone have experience or thoughts on going to MEFI 4."

"09-13-2010, 12:43 AM
    Wanted to put in a final comment to close this thread but let future readers know the final solution was not the ECM. I found a used harness on EBAY for the MEFI 3 and voila! Engine ran great. No obvious visual problems looking at the harness but I suspect a broken wire or faulty connector would fail once the RPM came up and the voltages increased. Hugely hard to troubleshoot. Older engines using EFI opens up the engine to major corrosion headaches. Moist environment and electronics, not such a good combo. Thanks again to all who helped me with this."

Nick
    Funny, but after posting last night and running thru my head all that is part of the Mefi 1 system, the harness and knock sensor are the only two parts that I hadnt replaced. Although the Mefiburn software detects/monitors the knock and shows a slight retard of .4 degrees at idle, the moment you give it gas, that goes to zero.

I think today Im just gonna spend the time and put back on the motor my Mefi3 system. I know it worked when I pulled the motor out.
    Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #138

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Didnt get done all that I had hoped for, but did get the MEFI 3 harness' all prepped and ready to install.

Cleaned every connection with contact cleaner and a brush, then coated em all with Dialectric grease. Kinda busy all weekend, so it will be Monday afternoon before I can dive head first into that engine bay and swap out the systems.

Bob at MefiBurn has been great. He's re-writing me a MAP to initially install and work from for the MEFI 3 ECU. Im gonna have some riser spacers made and install a wide band (5 wire) O2 sensors and A/F meter after I get it close enough to really fine tune it perfectly.
    Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #139

luke7575 is currently offline
    My Model: z302 Shaba
    My Engine: 7.4l Volvo Penta Duop

Send luke7575:
    a Private Message

Man i just finished reading this write, and i got to say great job, i like the back seat, also can u post a picture of the swim deck im very interested in something like that, and like u my Volvo Penta 7.4l wasnt enought i ordered a week ago a 540 and a bravo xr for it to b installed this winter
    Oregondunes likes this.
    Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #140

Find me on the Map

Send Oregondunes:
    a Private Message

Gave up on the MEFI 1 system, reinstalled the MEFI 3 and fired right up. Albeit a bit rich.

Installed the factory 454 magnum MAP and she's still a lil rich on the bottom end, idle is a lil slow and rev limit will have to be raised. But other then that, Im back on the water and she pulls like a mad man.

Today was first water test and found a few loose ends still that I need to tidy up a bit. Only ran boat to 4000 rpm up and down from idle for a bout 60 minutes and it's still being broke in.

Got to looking at old MEFI 1 loom. Found 2 HUGE issues that were not externally visible. Two ground wire that were broken at the terminals and only connected by the heat shrink. One was directly connected to the ECU, the other the ignition circuit. Both pretty important.

Going away for the weekend starting tomorrow, but will be on the water most of next week and Im gonna tune it til shes perfect.

I am loving the 2.2:1 drive ratio with the 28p props. I think that once I get the EFI dialed in Im hoping to step up to 30p's. The 28's bite sooo hard and will be great for pulling the kids around on the tubes and boards. Its also a lot cheaper to switch props then re-gearing it.