The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   Hatch Motor Replacement (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/3822-hatch-motor-replacement.html)

spinks99 03-28-2010 12:52 AM

Hatch Motor Replacement

I purchase my Z202 last fall. One of the hatch motors wasn't operating consistently, and it was causing all sorts of problems (ripped screws out, couldn't open when needed).

I purchased new hatch motors from Acculift over the winter. I finally got the cover off the boat, removed the rams and motors and bench tested the old motors. The motors worked just fine. I am suspecting there may be a wiring problem or switch problem inside the boat.

Does anyone have advice on where to start first while trouble shooting this thing. I don't want to waste time looking at something if I don't need to. The two areas I'm thinking are the switch and the breaker panel. Any advice would be great.

Danny:shakehead:

pppub 03-28-2010 04:51 AM

Re: Hatch Motor Replacement

Im having the same problem. i think that the new motors will do the trick. i think the reason they worked when bench tested you put 12 volts direct to motor . that is what i cam up with on mine.

spinks99 03-28-2010 01:38 PM

If the old motors worked on the bench, then they should consistently work in the boat. That leads me to believe there is corrosion somewhere from the switch to the motors inside the boat. I am going to look at the boat today. What do you think?

Danny

mikeyt 03-28-2010 05:05 PM

A volt meter at the wiring connections to the hatch motors will tell if you have 12v getting there but i suspect that the problem is a bit of corrosion somewhere in the wiring leading to the motors. I guess its also possible that there is a bit of wear in the motor too that shows up when a load (such as the weight of a hatch) is applied to it. I'm not 'electrical minded' enough to advise how to check for that problem though.

spinks99 03-28-2010 08:11 PM

I am wondering if there has been any history of problems with the switch itself or another junction point? I am trying to get done with my stupid homework so I can get started on the boat. I will let everyone know what I find. It's no fun trying to finish your Bachelor's degree at 39.

Danny

warner0308 03-28-2010 09:00 PM

i had a baja with the same prob. it ended up being the switch. i dont know why but if you put in a new qaulity switch in it would work perfect for a sesaon or two.( if you went with 12 volts from battery to motor and by pass switch how does yours work?) that will tell you if prob. is in the switch or wiring! good luck

spinks99 03-30-2010 02:00 AM

I got the hatch motors back in the boat. The right motor (looking at the back of the boat from cockpit) stopped working again. I looked at the switch wiring and it seems clean and tight. I wiggled the wiring going to the motor and it started working. It was never the motors, it is the wiring going to it.

Does anyone know where the wiring goes from the right motor? Does it splice into the left motor wiring? The problem must be close because I wiggled it and it started working. I didn't have a chance to look any further-we are leaving for vacation tomorrow.

Also, the motors seemed to work much slower than when I bench tested them (running without being connected to the hatch). There must be a voltage drop in the boat. I wonder how I could boost that up.

I will let you know what I find.

Danny

Eldorado 04-01-2010 02:41 AM

Re: Hatch Mechanism Replacement

Does anyone know where to get an Acculift lift mechanism (minus the motor) ? It is on my 192 1995 Barchetta Z Mark VIII.

Jerry in Michigan

mikeyt 04-01-2010 02:19 PM

Re: Hatch Mechanism Replacement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldorado (Post 21047)
Does anyone know where to get an Acculift lift mechanism (minus the motor) ? It is on my 192 1995 Barchetta Z Mark VIII.

Jerry in Michigan

As per our Mariah Parts Suppliers list: Acculift Linear Actuators (OEM Warranty Replacement)

http://www.qmigroup.com/acculift/linear_actuators.cfm

Eldorado 04-01-2010 08:17 PM

Thanks Mike, Found an Acculift Service Center near me in Melvindale MI - new unit is $350 however they rebuilt the unit (motor excluded since good) for $125. If any one else needs them they can be reached at 313 382-5121.