The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   Z280MCC Generator (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/3705-z280mcc-generator.html)

LJ's Sunset Dream 02-09-2010 02:16 PM

Z280MCC Generator

Purchased a 1999 Z280 MCC this fall (moved up from a Z252 Shabra)

This boat is so fully loaded it's not funny,Fridge, seperate ice maker, TV/VCR, hot water heater, a/c/reverse heat etc.

One option it does not have is a generator, as I've seen it listed in the options, does anyone know what the original gereratorswere, that were offered?
Any idea what size?
Manufacterer?
Has anyone added one after the fact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Larry

ShabahZ280 02-09-2010 05:20 PM

Re: Z280MCC Generator

I believe the originals were Westerbeke 5kw's. Not 100% sure on that, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

Adding a genset after the fact might be a bigger project than you'd want to tackle. It's essentially adding another engine. You'll need to factor in fuel supply, cooling, exhaust, the nightmare of integrating it into your existing electrical system, etc. Not to mention I believe a new genset might run you back 3-5k.

LJ's Sunset Dream 02-09-2010 06:01 PM

Thanks for the input.
Using a link I found here i went to Westerbeke's website, they have a 5KW unit with low C02 emissions the 5.0 SBCG Safe-CO.

I've requested a price, and installation info.
After all, the ice makers awfully important on a sunset filled evening!
Thanks again
Larry

2 OWNER MARIAH 02-10-2010 02:55 AM

what are you using now to run fridge, ice maker, tv, 110 v outlets, microwave, etc.? mine is equipped with a 12 volt/ 110 inverter. replaced it when i bought the boat 3 years ago. 2 OWNER MARIAH

LJ's Sunset Dream 02-10-2010 02:17 PM

Well I just rec'd the answer on the generator
Westerbeke does make a great 5KW low CO unit, in Canada it retails at $11,395.00 plus the install kit $1,159.00.
Anyone know if it's cheaper in the US, I live in Toronto and it's not far across lake Ontario?

Looks like I'll be continuing to use batterys and the inverter this year.
Thanks for your help guys

Larry

LJ's Sunset Dream 02-10-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 OWNER MARIAH (Post 20333)
what are you using now to run fridge, ice maker, tv, 110 v outlets, microwave, etc.? mine is equipped with a 12 volt/ 110 inverter. replaced it when i bought the boat 3 years ago. 2 OWNER MARIAH

Batterys and inverter
I have two "START: batterys and a large "GEL" battery for the inverter, what size inverter do you guys have on board?
I think the one on board is only 1000W

Larry

2 OWNER MARIAH 02-10-2010 11:32 PM

Larry,
I installed a new xantrex 2500 w freedom marine inverter/ charger when i bought the boat, because the other one did not work. i added the new remote read out with it also, i was told i may have to run a new feed cable to the remote, but the original did work. (looks like a phone jack cable). i use 2 large 12 volt batteries hooked parallel to run the inverter.
we use it mainly on weekends to run microwave, tv/dvd, coffe pot, and some small appliances and have never ran low on power. i am thinking i paid around $1300 for it a few years ago but well worth having. i prefer it over a generator because of not only the cost of maintaining, but we have friends that have them and when we anchor with them and they start them up all you hear is that noise of the engine running. ( very annoying)
the down side of the inverter set up is that you can't run your hot water heater, fridge and stove when your away from shore power. but the hot water heater is set up to run your heated engine water through it if needed.
Kevin

LJ's Sunset Dream 02-11-2010 02:22 PM

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the input. I think that my inverter is 1000w it's the original one that came with the boat.
I was lucky to find "Sunset Dream", she only has 220 hours, and is in immaculate shape. I have called the marina to find out the size of the gel battery that runs the invertor, it might be a great way to go(upsizing the invertor) I would really like to be able to keep the ice maker on 24/7. Thanks for the info.
Larry

300sflyer 02-14-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJ's Sunset Dream (Post 20337)
Well I just rec'd the answer on the generator
Westerbeke does make a great 5KW low CO unit, in Canada it retails at $11,395.00 plus the install kit $1,159.00.
Anyone know if it's cheaper in the US, I live in Toronto and it's not far across lake Ontario?

Looks like I'll be continuing to use batterys and the inverter this year.
Thanks for your help guys

Larry

Not sure what Canadian dealers are smoking...:shakehead: but just accross the lake you can pick one up for about 6K. Given that the US and Can $ are very close, I'd be heading south. :yes_grin: If you decide to go, can you pick one up for me too? ;)

Westerbeke 5.0 BCG Gasoline Generator