The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   hydrofoil (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/10798-hydrofoil.html)

yamaha_445 05-26-2016 02:58 AM

hydrofoil

Has anyone added a hydrofoil to there boat? If so how do you like it and did it help plane out faster. I have a 91 MX19 and i have looked at adding one, but wasnt sure if it was worth the cost.. I will be pulling my son who is 8 on skis and tube as well as my self and wife.

Paul F 05-26-2016 03:39 AM

Re: hydrofoil

Search Smart Tabs on this site.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Firestone 06-04-2016 10:30 PM

I currently have a hydrofoil on my boat, but I bought it few weeks ago, so no real reference point, but I seem to plane out good. If you read all 258 posts on smart tabs like I did you should really think about smart tabs. A person with a 18' boat claimed he could plane out at 11 mph for his kids water skiing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yamaha_445 06-04-2016 11:37 PM

I have looked at both products, but for the money that smart tabs cost it just seems logical to spend half on a hydrafoil if it does pretty much the same thing. I have seen several no drill ones that looks like they would work good. Just wanna get my kiddo up in the water faster since he is a newbie on skies.

Paul F 06-06-2016 01:51 PM

Everyone who has Smart Tabs can tell you that there is NO comparison between a Hydrofoil and Smart Tabs. Smart tabs would be the best money you ever spent on your boat. :wink_thumbup:

A boat with a Hydrofoil sends the message that I'm underpowered and have a hard time getting on plane, which can affect the value of the boat.

Firestone 06-06-2016 02:09 PM

Lol to funny Paul F. Yeah I wondered why my 5.7 Mag had it as well when I bought it 2 weeks ago. Smart tabs are going to be a winter project. To many other thing to work on right now on the boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

yamaha_445 06-07-2016 01:42 AM

Awesome to know on both. I guess i will save up a bit and just spend the $120 on the smart tabs. Thanks for the feedback.

dafucwuzat 06-07-2016 11:05 AM

I don't have one one my 221, but my old caravelle had a whale tail. It still sucked for low speed. Tubing with the kids was hard. It had a 351 with factory prop

yamaha_445 06-07-2016 03:39 PM

And tubing and water skiing is what i want it for. Gotta teach my 8 yo and my wife how to ski and pull tubes. Looking more into the smart tabs, it seems like the better option.

Paul F 06-07-2016 04:30 PM

It was much easier to teach my daughter to ski with smart tabs.

You know how once the boat jumps on plane and you have to try to slow down without slacking the ski rope?

That issue is eliminated as the boat will climb out of the hole more easily.