Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

New upholstery for sun deck/engine cover

Projects

Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #21

Z_275_Searchin is currently offline
My Model: Still Looking
Gallery Images: 0

Send Z_275_Searchin:
a Private Message

Default Re: New upholstery for sun deck/engine cover

Mike,

I will start by a quick introduction. My name is Darrell (Z_275_Searchin). I have been a member of this website for about six months now. I never did find the Z275 that I was searching for, but we did end up with a Mariah. We found a 2001 Z250 Shabah on Ebay located in Evansville Indiana. I bought the boat sight unseen all the way from Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, just south of Dubai. We paid 21,000 dollars for the boat which was almost $4,000 less than the poor fella owed on it (I saw his payoff at the bank). I flew home to the states to finalize the purchase and was delighted at the condition and over-all beauty of this machine. I took her for about a 45 minunte sea trial which generated even more excitement about my purchase. So here I am, a proud new owner of a Mariah.

And now, for the rest of the story.

I left the boat with the previous owner for pick-up by the shipping company. When the shippers arrived for the boat, they placed the bimini cover on the back seat before covering the boat. The bimini was wet and over the proceding month, while the boat was being transported to me here in the Middle East, the moisture created mold between the cover and the seats.
I don't know if you are familiar with the rear seat of the Z250, but there are four panels across both the seat back and the seat bottom. The only parts that were stained were the two inner panels on the upper and lower cushion. Everything on this boat is emaculate and all original with the exception of these four fabric panels.

My question is; does the material in your post match well enough to get by with replacing only the inner panels? Could I possibly contact you via phone to get the information on how and where I can get this material? I will be returning to South Carolina here in a few days (Dec 31), and would like to find this material expeditiously before I have to head back here to Sand Land. Please let me know the quickest and easiest way to find what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Darrell
2001 Z250 Shabah

Last edited by Z_275_Searchin; 12-28-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling
  • Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #22

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Darrel and congratulations on becoming a Mariah owner!

As for your seat panels, have you tried to remove the mildew stains? We have had other members with similar issues such as myself and I have had pretty good results with a product called "Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover". Do a search on the forum for other member recommended products

You should also be able to get advice from any good upholstery shop on how to deal with the stains and save the re-upholstery as a last option.

Good luck,
    WetWilly
    Thank you WetWilly for this useful post!
    Z_275_Searchin (01-03-2010)
    Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #23

Z_275_Searchin is currently offline
    My Model: Still Looking

Send Z_275_Searchin:
    a Private Message

Thanks WetWilly,

I am finally back in South Carolina after three days of traveling. I am a long way from my boat right now, so no chance of trying out your suggestions on Aquaholic.

I need to find some replacement material while I am here in the states. Finding that quality of vinyl over in the middle east is a chore if not impossible. I have until the 8th of Jan to find it here in South Carolina and up until the 14th if I can find it anywhere else and have it shipped to Ohio. I will still try chemically removing the stains when I get home, but I would at least like to be prepared for a re-uphostery job should it be necessary.

Thanks again,

Darrell
    hrayner likes this.

Last edited by Z_275_Searchin; 01-03-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot signature
    Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #24

Vacation Dave is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 1995 Z220 Talari 7.4L Bravo I
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo I

Send Vacation Dave:
    a Private Message

Check previous threads for upholstery.

Before you purchase new upholstery, try checking a fix with fibernew.com to see for repairs. Then if not possible see below.

Here's a previous post from 95 Z 240 Talari on 2/2/2009:

The fabric is called Nautolex with Prefixx and is manufactured by a company called Omnova Products. Be aware though, Mariah used a fabric weight that was over 3x more thick than all other boat manufacturers, I believe it was 64oz while everyone else was using around 18oz.

I don't think you can purchase it as a consumer, but your local upholstery place should be able to pick it up. Just be aware, it's probably a bit more expensive than standard replacement vinyl, but if you want a true OEM quality, go with the Nautolex with Prefixx.

The Prefixx coating allows it to be cleaned with a mixture of acetone and water, pure acetone is only recommended for very bad stains. There's reading material available on Omnova's website.
    If you are interested in purchasing material and need some help, contact me and I can give you the persons name that I worked with. They were very helpful and even sent out samples for me to match up the colors.
    I'll let you know that I had to create an account and order a full roll of material in order to purchase from them.

Mike

Also check with Mike:

Mine is actually blue and it is called Brite Navy. My other color is called Putty. It looks White but it is actually an Off White. The other material that is used is called "Punch" Putty. It is the material on the seats and seat backs as well as the center top portion of the Sun Deck. It appears to have the tiny dimples in the material.

I used the "Mariner" Line of Material. They have several different lines as well as one that is very close to Mariner, it is called Mariner Xtra.

My contact was Diana Walsh and I was able to reach her at 330-869-4321. I recommend visiting their Web Site first, looking at their colors availabe and the Line of Material you feel looks close and then contact her. She sent me samples of the material at that point to compare to my boat and I chose what I felt matched.

NOTE: Read my earlier post about the amount I had to order!

Let me know if you need more assistance.
    Mike
    Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #25

snr5731 is currently offline
    My Model: Talari, Alpha I

Send snr5731:
    a Private Message

Hi

I have a Tallari with the green and white interior like yours. Do you happen to know the material numbers for the vinyl you used? Also what upholstery shop did the work for you? I live in Birmingham, AL and can't seem to find a marine upholstery shop nearby. Seems to be many shops in Florida but not Alabama.
    Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #26

Find me on the Map

Send Vacation Dave:
    a Private Message

My color is called Bimini. I have not had any repairs done to the upholstry. I have not found the exact color, but did not try contacting Natolex. I would be curious as if there is a match.

A project that will require some time and prep. I was hoping some research with Omninova may find some archived color die. I think Mike nailed the seat material called punch. To date, it looks like I'm going to have to use what ever they have as of today.

I did contact fibernew.com. I have severe cracking along the hatch piano hinge on the sun deck. Also some seam damage on rear seats. Fibernew wanted pics to see if they can repair. I did not do much boating last summer as the economy has me putting in extra time. Perhaps 2010.

Good luck,
    V Dave
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #27

snr5731 is currently offline
    My Model: Talari, Alpha I

Send snr5731:
    a Private Message

I contacted the Omnova factory in Mississippi where they made the vinyl for the Mariahs. All the OEM vinyl was done in special runs for Mariah and they will not sell directly to the public. They make similiar product today but can't match the Mariah colors exactly.Minimum factory order is 1600 feet.
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #28

ckgreenman is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1996 Talari 209

Send ckgreenman:
    a Private Message

Well we ended up getting the rear deck on our done a few months ago. We wanted to get everything done but with the economy as it is we'll have to wait on the rest. Luckily the shop has plenty of the material in the same dye lot. We also had to scale back a bit on the detail but all in all it looks good.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg 2009-11-14 11.21.51.jpg (42.5 KB, 108 views)
    File Type: jpg 2009-11-14 11.22.24.jpg (18.4 KB, 95 views)
    Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #29

Find me on the Map

Send Vacation Dave:
    a Private Message

That looks great. What vinyl and what color did you use?