The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Z258 seating repair (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9998-z258-seating-repair.html)

nkhagen 03-11-2015 05:19 AM

Z258 seating repair

1 Attachment(s)
Well with spring close at hand, I decided to tackle the rear seat and sun deck that were completely shot. The prior owner had duct taped them leaving a sticky residue. Last summer as a short term fix I got heavy painters drop cloth and sprayed it with waterproofer. Got me through the summer but obviously wasn't a long term repair. I matched the vinyl to samples I got from Rochford Supply and bought myself a sailrite sewing machine. I was quoted around $1000 to have an upholstery shop do this repair so figured it would be a good learning experience. The pics of the first part are posted. Starting the sun deck next.

nkhagen 03-11-2015 05:21 AM

Re: Z258 seating repair

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the new bench

nkhagen 03-11-2015 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Backrest is still original. Colors are actually pretty damn close. The old fabric is a little dirty but you'd be hard pressed to see the difference if you didn't know it.

Motoxxx43 03-12-2015 02:40 AM

Looks good! I think its awesome you tackled that project!

ShabahZ280 03-12-2015 07:27 PM

Agreed! Nice Job! :wink_thumbup:

Michaels1956 03-12-2015 10:38 PM

Nice work, you should be very happy with the results. :-)

tpdtopcop 03-13-2015 01:59 PM

That is a very nice job.. I think you have a good side job now! lol

gahooligan 04-18-2015 04:49 PM

That is an unbelievably awesome job!! You could be in business there!!! That looks as good or better than a upholstery shop! How much was that sewing machine??

nkhagen 04-18-2015 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The machine set me back 750. Material was under 300 for those seats and some for my brothers boat. I was quoted about 1000 by a professional shop so for the same cost I ended up with a sewing mahine. I'm working on the interior cushions and padding right now. Will post pics as soon as I get them done. Went with an all black theme instead of the ugly fabric.

99 Mariah 258 04-18-2015 08:17 PM

I'm doing my interior now... But all my wood is toast. I'm in the process now of making a new sun deck and bench seat.... Opened a huge can of worms and the tab is going up quick. Only thing in my favor is my Family business is upholstery.We make custom made furniture for decorators and hotels etc but it's my first boat interior project... Only boats we've done before are yacht interiors and Dryfast cushions....So I'm fabricating everything with some marine plywood ... I let it dry a couple weeks and I'm sealing it with thompsons and painting it before upholstery. Also I'm using all stainless screws and staples. I'll get some pics up soon. If anyone knows anything else I can use to treat the wood before upholstery let me know