The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Throttle Control Shifter Question? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/998-throttle-control-shifter-question.html)

Douglas Alderman 04-19-2008 12:33 AM

Throttle Control Shifter Question?

I have a single handle shifter with trim and tilt controls. Question!! Does the trailer switch on the handle have a stop engine setting? My motor would not keep running while trying to start engine. Flipped switch and motor started. Looked it up in boat manual and couldn't find anything about it. :confused:

jmills224 04-19-2008 02:30 AM

Doug,

That switch you flipped is probably the kill switch. Normally a clip goes in it with a lanyard attached to it. The lanyard then would clip to your body. The purpose of the switch/lanyard is to kill the engine if you were to be thrown from the boat.

HTH

~J

180diablo 04-19-2008 01:01 PM

"flipped the switch"..? .... In reference to my boat, the trailer switch is a square button pad above the tilt/trim that you press straight in for trailering. Unless they have changed that and updated it (haven't been in newer boats recently).

To me, it sounded like you were trying to start the motor while the sterndrive was in the full up vs the full down position..?

The kill switch on my boat is located on the right side of the helm area below my radio. Which as jmills mentioned, would have the lanyard.

jmills224 04-19-2008 02:36 PM

I forgot mention mine is on the shifter in the lower left-hand corner.

~J

WetWilly 04-19-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Alderman (Post 5824)
I have a single handle shifter with trim and tilt controls. Question!! Does the trailer switch on the handle have a stop engine setting? My motor would not keep running while trying to start engine. Flipped switch and motor started. Looked it up in boat manual and couldn't find anything about it. :confused:

Hi Doug,

I'm trying to figure out what you meant, but it sounds like you said your trailer switch is a lever... and after flipping the "lever" the motor ran. If this is correct it gets kind of confusing because almost all the single arm throttle/shifter units I have seen are like what jmills224 described, they have a trailer button either located on the surface plate or on the throttle arm.

Could you tell us the brand and model throttle/shifter you have or picture would help a lot.

Thanks,
WetWilly

Douglas Alderman 04-19-2008 10:05 PM

Throttle Shifter

After viewing throttle shifter more closely , I could just make out the writing on the switch. Off and On. Being new to this boat I didn't know this would cause the engine not to start. Sending pictures of Throttle Shifter from my boat.

Douglas Alderman 04-19-2008 10:27 PM

Thottle Shifter Pictures

1 Attachment(s)
Throttle Shifter

Douglas Alderman 04-19-2008 10:33 PM

Throttle switches

1 Attachment(s)
Engine On and Off switch on the handle plateAttachment 711

jmills224 04-20-2008 02:07 AM

That is exactly the same shifter I have. That switch is for a clip and lanyard to attach to. If that switch is on the off position it kills the power to your ignition and the motor will not run. Wal-Mart usually has an assortment of clips and I think the proper one is in that pack. Its about $6 US and well worth it. You don't have to have it but for safety sake you should have/use it.

~J

WetWilly 04-20-2008 03:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Douglas,

Well, it seems the Commander 3000 was a popular controller! We all have the same type, although my Trailer switch is in the lower right hand corner of the body, not on the throttle handle like yours.

Jmills224 is absolutely right about using the lanyard, is a safety device and could save you life if you’re ever thrown from the helm.

I’ve included several pictures of the lanyard so you know which one to get ( has a loop on the end ) and how it’s connected to the Kill Switch.

The first is the lanyard, metal to you, black loop to the kill switch.
Second pic is with the lanyard installed.
Third pic is in the "Run" position (red lever up).
Forth pic is when the lanyard pulls out (forces red lever down).
Lastly, where our trailer switch is located in comparison to yours.

WetWilly