The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Radio cuts out at higher volumes (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9666-radio-cuts-out-higher-volumes.html)

Smokymance 07-24-2014 01:23 PM

Radio cuts out at higher volumes

Boat came with a Pioneer CD player. Doesnt look like a marine radio, not sure if that matters or not. My friends boat actually has the same symptom. Sorry for dark picture.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...pso1uoemiz.jpg

If volume is over half way or so, it will cut out the radio, it resets it. Cuts off, then restarts and turns back on. Have to lower volume to keep it playing. As you get closer with the volume to the cut off point, you will see the radio button illuminations dim with the beat of the music. Its like the speakers are taking all the juice out the radio. I took the radio off to see if anything looks loose back there and tell you the truth im not sure what to really check. The wires all seem solid and no loose connections. The speakers are new polks (don't look marine as well) and the boat has a new battery.

I'm assuming the ground or power wire is either too small or a weak connection. Wanted you guys opinion on what to look at first.

Brewfixer 07-24-2014 10:57 PM

Re: Radio cuts out at higher volumes

Your on the right track. I would look at the power and ground wire first. Also see what else is feeding off the circuit. Unfortunately if the radio has been exposed to the elements for a few years it may be on it's death bed.

I completely upgraded mine when I got it in fact it was my first upgrade. Nothing worse than no music while boating except no beer...:)

mmckenzie6 07-25-2014 12:10 AM

I installed a new radio in my 202 Shabah about two weeks ago. Did EXACTLY the same thing yours is doing.

My issue turned out to be a bad in-line fuse holder (not the fuse) on my power wire coming to the radio.

Cut it out and replaced it; and it works fine now.

Smokymance 07-25-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmckenzie6 (Post 54496)
I installed a new radio in my 202 Shabah about two weeks ago. Did EXACTLY the same thing yours is doing.

My issue turned out to be a bad in-line fuse holder (not the fuse) on my power wire coming to the radio.

Cut it out and replaced it; and it works fine now.

Thanks guys. I just wish I knew where everything is located. I know it's different boats but where are these fuses etc located. I know there is a few glass fuses under the drivers panel. But that's all know of.

mikeyt 07-25-2014 02:13 PM

This is another very common question that a site search for 'fuse panel' will answer. Fuse panels are usually up underneath your dash console mounted near the hull. Access from under the dash or thru the back bow cushion in most boats. Wiring diagrams etc are available to contributing members.

Smokymance 07-28-2014 03:29 PM

i will start with the basics and check the fuses, battery etc for any surface corrosion etc...get that out the way...then investigate further...

Smokymance 08-05-2014 02:38 AM

Did some digging around today. No issues with the ground. Directly ran the ground to the battery and it still cut off at higher volumes.

The power wire to the radio ,Always Hot, and the Ignition Only Hot wire had a inline glass fuse on them. I replaced them with a new style fuses (10A) even tho the radio has a built in 10A fuse. I dont think i really need inline fuses but i ran one anyways.

This got me about 10 more clicks on the volume. I can get the volume to 47 or so instead of 36-37...but it still cuts out if i raise the volume any higher.

So i decided to run a temporary Always Hot 12V power wire directly to the battery with a built in 10A fuse. This allows me to get the volume all way to 62 (max for this pioneer radio)

So with that said, im assuming the stock Always Hot wire that feeds the radio somehow limits the juice that radio gets. I get 12.48 volts on that wire (same reading i get on the battery)...so im assuming the draw is too much and radios built in protection is triggered

The pioneer feeds 4x 4 ohm speakers.

swoodworth 08-10-2014 12:30 AM

What gauge wires are you running to power it? I had the same problem till I ran 12 gauge wire

Smokymance 08-11-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoodworth (Post 54767)
What gauge wires are you running to power it? I had the same problem till I ran 12 gauge wire

12 gauge did the trick for me too...i ran it directly (with an inline fuse) to the battery and worked great all day yesterday...no issues...:yes_grin:

theeasynine 08-12-2014 04:16 PM

So crazy mine does this also. I changed both power wires to 14 gauge yesterday and it still cuts out. It's a puzzler.