Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Heavy steering to the left

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Shabah203 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: Shabah 203
My Engine: Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Duo
Gallery Images: 11

Send Shabah203:
a Private Message

Default Heavy steering to the left

Hi All,

After 2,5 years of inactivity, finally our Shabah 203 is back in the water. Enjoyed a few good days out already.

I kinda forgotten about this little snag though, and was wondering if anyone has come across something simular:

A few years ago, ie before it was on land for it's prolonged rest, we had a leaking hydrolic actuator of the powersteering. We ended up changing it for a new one that was not exactly the same but should work fine according to the mechanic (sort of updated version). But we ended up with a heavy steering input required to the left.

To the right the steering is light, normal. Just to the left requires about double the force. Almost as if the powersteering does not work that way. When I spoke to the engineer here that serviced the boat pre-launch last week about it, he said it was normal (?) because with the dual prop you would always have one prop bigger than the other...

I'm sure it was different before, so now I'm wondering if it could be simply the way it was mounted, or maybe the fluid levels inside the actuator are off? Or maybe the props are mounted wrong? I don't really know where to look, and it is too long ago to remember exactly what was done at the time to it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Alex

sorry forgot to add: Volvo penta 4.3 GS Duo Prop engine, in a 1996 shabah 203

Last edited by Shabah203; 06-07-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: eng details added
  • Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #2

DFZ272 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z272 Barchetta
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 0

Send DFZ272:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Heavy steering to the left

The steering should be the same in both directions. Does the problem only occur when moving, or is it also difficult when idling? Does your model have a trim tab on the lower unit, and if so is it adjusted properly? This would only cause a problem when moving. If it is also a problem at idle, you will have to look a little deeper. I am not real familiar with the Volvo system, but generally speaking, something is either binding when you turn to port, or as you suspect you are getting no power assist when turning that direction. It sounds like a mechanic may need to do a pressure test on the system to see if you may have a restriction, blockage, or faulty pressure relief valve in the system.
    Good luck and post what you find out
    Dan
    Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #3

Shabah203 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 203
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 4.3 GL Duo
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Shabah203:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Heavy steering to the left

Thanks for your reply, sorry, I've been working a lot soI did not have time to check for replies earlier.

But what you say is what I recall from before, steering was the same in both directions.
    The difference is also there when we're not moving,which is especially annoying when docking in our marina because we reverse in and I need to turn left swiftly for the parking.

I guess I'll have to take it in again to get it looked at, I was just hoping someone would have an easy fix...

Thanks though, I'll let it know when I find out what is was.

A.