The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Smart Tabs (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9408-smart-tabs.html)

Mariah1 06-05-2014 11:03 PM

Smart Tabs

I am going to take the plunge tomorrow and order Smart Tabs for my 93. I have finally gotten over the fear of drilling holes in my boat. My good friend is going to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyt 06-05-2014 11:06 PM

Re: Smart Tabs

Just follow the instructions & take your time. Use some good sealant on the holes and dont drill too deep. Mark your drill bit at the desired depth so you know when to stop. I'd also suggest taping the mounts to the transom first so that you ensure they are correctly positioned before doing any drilling.

Mariah1 06-05-2014 11:08 PM

Thanks Mikey

ColoradoDiablo 06-05-2014 11:37 PM

He must be a helluva good friend.:yes_grin::rolling_laugh:

Mariah1 06-05-2014 11:39 PM

Yes he is. Check him out at LakeMartineventpics.com. He takes some beautiful pictures of our little lake.

ColoradoDiablo 06-05-2014 11:47 PM

That is a cool idea!
Nice pics too.:wink_thumbup:

Mariah1 06-06-2014 12:11 AM

He loves photography. Just wishes he could do it for a living. His wife is a nurse. Nice having her on the water just in case.

Muggi 06-13-2014 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 52960)
Just follow the instructions & take your time. Use some good sealant on the holes and dont drill too deep. Mark your drill bit at the desired depth so you know when to stop. I'd also suggest taping the mounts to the transom first so that you ensure they are correctly positioned before doing any drilling.

I'm showing my ignorance here as I don't now how thick the transom really IS. The mounting screws are 1", not sure how thick the bracket is but that seems like a deep hole..

I'm thinking this might be a nice afternoon project for some time later this summer.

Anyone put these on a 21' Shabah V-8 before? The product selector suggests the 10.5"x12", but looking at the other boats it recommends that size for I think the 9.5"x10" ones make more sense.

mikeyt 06-13-2014 01:02 PM

I think that Nauticus' product selector is a little heavy in their recommendations most of the time. I would go with the smaller ones. Dont worry about the screw length, just follow the drilling instruction and mark your drill bit so that you dont drill past their recommended depth and then be generous with some good sealant (3M 4200 works) in the drill holes.

Motoxxx43 06-13-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muggi (Post 53162)
I'm showing my ignorance here as I don't now how thick the transom really IS. The mounting screws are 1", not sure how thick the bracket is but that seems like a deep hole..

I'm thinking this might be a nice afternoon project for some time later this summer.

Anyone put these on a 21' Shabah V-8 before? The product selector suggests the 10.5"x12", but looking at the other boats it recommends that size for I think the 9.5"x10" ones make more sense.

Not on a 21' but on a 25'. I was skeptical to say the least. Now that they are on I should have put them on sooner. All of the advertised claims were true and I did not notice any loss on top end.
Tab selector said to use #80 actuators an I'm running #60. The #60 might be a little light for a boat full of people but it is spot on the majority of the time.
I used the steel tabs. They were hard to mount by myself. Instructions want you to put some piece of paper under them for the angle when they should just give you a measurement to mount the actuators "X" amount of inches above the tab. Anyways, great product!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk