The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Alternator (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9385-alternator.html)

allmaned 06-01-2014 04:42 AM

Alternator

Hello members, I have a 1997 Mariah Talari 246 and it needs an alternator. If someone could advise as to the model number alternator I need, and where is the best place to purchase. Thanks, much appreciated!

ColoradoDiablo 06-01-2014 04:54 AM

Re: Alternator

What engine?
Carbed or EFI?

Looks like there is a diff between the carb and EFI versions:
Mercruiser #807652T for the carbed 5.7LX New Factory Mercury Quicksilver Alternator Part 807652T | eBay
Mercruiser #807653T for the EFI 5.7L Mercruiser Mando 65 Amp Alternator 807653T | eBay

You can get them other places too , but that is a great price for either one coming from Quicksilver!:wink_thumbup:

If you don't have a 5.7L , let me know and I'll recheck numbers.

allmaned 06-01-2014 05:09 PM

ColoradoDiablo,
Thanks! I'll keep you posted!

zugzug 08-16-2016 01:55 AM

Hey ColoradoDiablo,
Could you tell me what model number alternator I would need for my 1995 Z240 7.4L carburetor? I bought the following but after reading this thread not sure if it is correct or compatible.

Click here

Thanks!!

Hudson River Steve 08-16-2016 08:34 PM

Your motor called for either a Mando AC155603, MandoAR150 or a Prestolite alternator which is no longer available. All three of these alternators were rated at ~55 Amps.
New Alternator Mando A000B0331 AC155603 AC155604 AR150 | eBay

The alternator you purchased is rated at 140A! Not to mention that it is a universal fit and may have slightly different dimensions than the original.

At the very least you will have to rewire the alternator output wire to handle the increased current. If you don't it could potentially melt the wire and start a fire. Also if you have a battery isolator to charge multiple batteries it will have to upgraded as well to handle the increase in current.

I don't mean to alarm you but it is potentially dangerous.

zugzug 08-16-2016 09:18 PM

Hudson River Steve,
Thanks! Would you happen how I would discover if I had an isolator? It has 2 batteries and a selector for battery 1 or 2 or both but I do not see anything but heavy leads going to that. No box or isolator from what I see searching the web.

I have no problem running a 4 gauge wire to support the extra amperage. do not want a fire onboard for sure.

Hudson River Steve 08-17-2016 01:24 PM

To find the isolator follow the heavy output wire from the alternator. It will be connected to the isolator as will two additional wires, one each going to both of your batteries. The isolator is usually a metal box with fins for cooling. My isolator is mounted to the transom. Find the model number on the isolator and look up its specs to ensure it is rated for >140A.